“Amazing resort!!!”

Thongbay Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 268 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Beautiful resort style accommodation, individual houses each with slightly different interior. Breakfast delivered exactly on time request to your front porch, fresh and tasty. I could have spent a week here if had time, lovely town also huge night market. You do need a tuk tuk to get to town, but it very cheap.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank monamahony

Reviewed March 19, 2013

From the moment we saw our names on the sign at the airport and were greeted with smiles and Sabaidee, we felt welcome. The Thongbay family were so nice and helpful. The bungalow was very nice and spacious and bathroom had stone walls. We enjoyed breakfast on our balcony and looking out to the river. The free shuttle makes several trips into town and back, plus they have bikes for use. We wanted to spend all our time at the guesthouse because of how lovely the garden and grounds were. We enjoyed writing our breakfast order on the board next to our names each night!

Room Tip: There is a common sitting and dining area overlooking the river so, no need for a river facing bunga...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nsmac
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed 4 nights there and will definitely come back. The owners and staff were extremely welcoming and attentioned. The rooms are fully made of wood and give a very typical immersion in Laos. The peaceful yet convivial atmosphere of this place made it the best to enjoy our holidays. While it may seem a bit isolated at first, it really turned out as an advantage: walking to city center (approx 15-20 mins) is a good way to see the surroundings of Luang Prabang, and the hotel lends bicycles for a nice ride (approx 5 mins).

Room Tip: The bungalows facing the river offer a very nice view and allow for a quiet breakfast on the balcony
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Benjamin C
Philipp E, Manager at Thongbay Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Benjamin,

Thank you very much for your review. We are very pleased to read your positive remarks and are very happy that you had an enjoyable time in our Guesthouse. We appreciate a lot that we have been able to exceed your expectations.

It would be a great honour if we could welcome you with us again.

Best regards

THONGBAY G.H. Luang Prabang

Reviewed March 16, 2013

we loved it here. The view from our bungalow was gorgeous and we loved the location. We borrowed bikes and cycled to town, only about 15 mins away. It wasn't a problem for us. The garden is beautiful and the staff are very friendly. We would have stayed longer, but it was booked up. The rooms are basic, but clean and spacious and we had a fan which is preferable to air-con in my opinion. We did hear noise from the karaoke place across the river, but it didn't go on too late. All in all, it was great and I'd definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2013

IF you are looking to stay in the guesthouse and relax, choose the riverview or a garden view far from the entrance. I think you'll enjoy this place.

IF you are looking to be out and about, exploring Luang Prabang, then this place although nice and comfy is tuck away and quite far away from the busy town.

I do have to give credit to the guesthouse for providing regular shuttle services to and from town, something like 9,10,11am and then 4,5,6,7pm. Or take a tuktuk, which you have to haggle which can range from 15000kyat to 25000kyat.

My room, which was the last available one was 206, the first bungalow from the entrance, almost across the reception, beside the restaurant, and meet up areas. It was not relaxing as it gets noisy and privacy is lacking esp in the morning and at night.

After staying one night, I decided to head towards town. They were understanding of my concerns (though I see their unhappy, reluctant faces) and cancelled my remaining 3 nights. It would have been good if I were in a different bungalow.

Lastly, I must say, I love the green curry chicken I ordered when I arrived. The breakfast is good as well. You tell them what you what and it'll be right on your patio the next morning based on what time you tell them you want BF.

Room Tip: Do not stay in bungalow 206 unless you don't mind the noise
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.
We are all really sorry that you were disturbed in your sleep. Also that you need to check out after one night because of the noise. We assure you that for us it is a major concern that our guests find their peace with us. We will observe in the future even more aware that our guests will not be disturbed.

We are sorry that we could not meet your expectations and apologize for it.

Kind regards

Thongbay G.H. Luang Prabang

Reviewed March 15, 2013

quiet, comfortable, lovely bungalows and exceptionally warm and welcoming staff ...excellent food and a very enjoyable walk back and forth to activities in town...felt luxurious after a few days trekking

Room Tip: had and appreciated river front both stays
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank pineycreek
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This guesthouse gets great write ups and in the 5 night stay the people we met actively spoke of their pleasure with Thongbay Guesthouse. I was very happy with our choice.

Our typical vacation has a nightly budget of around AUD 150 per night. The brief from hubby on this vacation was to pick locally run properties with an average spend of AUD75. THis property was AUD48. We choose a waterfront bungalow. I was looking for a serene setting with a point of difference from a standard style guesthouse room so as not to be comparing it with a standard room style as I knew that we would be experiencing a different level of standard and style.

I also considered spending 3 nights at Lao Spirit Lodge which is a considerable distance from town and 3 nights in a Guesthouse in town so I could experience both town and serenity. Thongbay was a blending of the two rather than a compromise. Either way I am sure we would have enjoyed our choice.

I best describe Thongbay as having a delightful setting, close enough to town with free shuttle transfers or a 20,000 kip tuk tuk ride. Functionally appointed bungalows, locally crafted with basic provisions. They do not a professionally crafted ambience to them, but rather locally and homely crafted ambience. Windows were well sealed with mesh so mosquitos were not a problem. It felt a bit like a Robinson Crusoe tree house and I loved this aspect. We ate there on a few occasions and whilst the food is a simple affair it was probably our best breakfast experiences in terms of taste.

The staff were both delightful and very helpful. I couldnt have asked for more and would thoroughly recommend Thongbay Cottages.

Room Tip: Would recommend the river bungalows for more privacy and serenity. The balconies are a great place...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this review and it was a great pleasure to have you with us during your Holidays. We highly appreciate your comments about our employees and the food. We have forwarded your comments to our staff and I am sure your review will motivate them to do the best service in the future as well.

We are happy now that we could fulfill or even exceed your expectations.

Hopefully we will have the honor to welcome you again here in the Thongbay G.H..

Best regards