“A highlight of our Cambodia/Laos trip”
Review of Kamu Lodge

Kamu Lodge
Ranked #29 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Manchester, England
“A highlight of our Cambodia/Laos trip”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We weren't sure what to expect from our one night at Kamu Lodge. We met our 4 companions & guide for the trip when we boarded the boat in Luang Prabang for the cruise up the Mekong to Kamu Lodge. For our visit there was just 3 couples (English, Australian & Norwegian) and we all got on well. The cruise was really interesting with some fantastic views of the river and mountains.

Arriving at Kamu lodge seems to be arriving at a remote island with a makeshift landing stage. The Lodge is very beautiful set amongst the paddy fields and the jungle. The tents and the adjoining bathroom are excellent considering the location and even have some solar powered lighting.

Our guide took us to the adjoining village and I had been unsure about that as I didn't want to intrude but found the people friendly and welcoming. The children are clearly happy to see you and seem to be as interested in us as we are in their way of life. I came away quite inspired.

The activities were fun and not taken too seriously.

The Laos massage was quite an experience (I am reliably informed) and to be recommended. I walked down to the river whilst that took place to take a few photos. I was joined by a few village children who tried to teach me their names and then spontaneously broke into a song and dance which was magical.

Lunch and dinner were excellent and what could be better than dining in an idyllic location amongst the paddy fields and water buffalo.

The tents are very good quality so no need for fears about snakes etc. we drifted off to sleep to the jungle sounds which are so different to those of the city.

It's definitely different and we're glad we came for a night which is probably the ideal length of time

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Newtotuscany
VillaMaly, General Manager at Kamu Lodge, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Newtotuscany,
Sunny greetings from Luang Prabang...
Many thanks for your kind message about your stay at Kamu Lodge. We are glad that you did appreciate your stay among our Kamu fellows. It is always a very interesting experience to spend time with them and share a bit of our cultures.
I hope we will welcome you again in the future and in the meantime I wish you a great 2013.
Warmest regards,
Operations Manager
Apple Tree properties: Villa Maly, Kamu Lodge, Nava Mekong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Once again we cruised down the Mekong and arrived at this "Eco Lodge" just before sunset so the setting was beautiful.
The "tents" themselves were fantastic, heavily protected by mesh and netting against the mosquitos.
Bathroom was simple but unfortunately whilst there for the night we didnt have hot water but, its all part of the adventure.
The restaurant and the bar were set in rice paddies and setting was beautiful. Because of the location the meals and drinks were basic but, once again, part of the adventure
Loved it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
VillaMaly, General Manager at Kamu Lodge, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Dianne W,
Sunny greetings from Luang Prabang...
would likek tp personally thank you for your kind message and for your comments about your stay at Kamu Lodge.
I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again in the future and in the meantime, I wish you to enjoy the coming end of year festivities.
Operations Manager
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed a total of 2 nights in the Kamu Lodge. I shared a tent with my parents which was a bit tight but one does not stay in the tent anyway since the surrounding is so beautiful. I work in Laos so the attached village was nothing new to me but it was very interesting for my parents. I like to concept that a lodge supports a whole village and also the education of the children. The tents are nice with all you need. Not luxury but then you are also in the jungle. Olivier is a nice guy and looks well after his guests. He is all over the place to make sure everybody is comfortable. The food (home cooking) is nice and there is even wine. We enjoyed a very nice little jungle track to the waterfalls which brought us to one more Kamu village. We also had a great young guy who picked us up in Villa Mali in LPQ and then joined us during the whole trip. So all in all a trip to recommend though it does not come cheap but one saves on the extra expenses for the boat trip. There is NO mobile and internet connection.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
VillaMaly, General Manager at Kamu Lodge, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Cape068,
Warm greetings from Luang Prabang...
Many thanks for your kind message referring to your stay at Kamu Lodge and to Olivier our manager on site and Moulee our guide. They are great people who work with passion and who really do their best to take care of our guests. All 26 staffs at Kamu Lodge are from Ban Ngoy Hay and for each guest, 1,5$ is placed on a bank account that will be used for microfinance.
Thanking you again, I wish you a great day.

Operations Manager - Laos
Apple Tree properties: Villa Maly, Kamu Lodge, Nava Mekong.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 23, 2012

A flush toilet, a hot shower, and a vascilating fan above your mosquito netted bed are all yours in the middle of the Loation countryside steps off the Mekong river. Clean and comfortable beds, helpful staff, delicious farm fresh food, and a charming village type atmosphere make the Kamu Lodge a must for one night. Who knew an afternoon rain storm could be so entertaining as there is nothing modern to occupy your time. Sit back, relax and enjoy one comfortable night here forgetting the whole world.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PogiinSF
VillaMaly, General Manager at Kamu Lodge, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear PogiinSF,

Thank you very much for leaving a message about your stay at Kamu Lodge.
I and our teams are very happy to read that you did enjoy your stay with us. Not easy to find places like this one with such great people in the village and really being able to forget about everything. Funny how we learn fast that we do not need much in life to be happy...
Looking forward to welcoming you again in a near future, I wish you a great day.
Warm regards
A. de Boynes.
Apple Tree properties: Nava Mekong, Villa Maly, Kamu Lodge
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I recently stayed at the Kamu lodge as part of a 2 day Mekong River Cruise (Luang Say) and had a truly unique experience, it was like going 5 star camping.

The accommodations were large tents, with a concrete floor and relatively modern bathroom given the situation (including western toilets and hot water). The rooms also had basic electric lights, comfortable beds with mosquito nets and bedside tables so really everything you need, there are no TV’s or internet facilities but that is the point. There was also a furnished patio outside the tent with forest and/or partial Mekong views. A padlock was also provided to lock up your tent for the safety conscious, although the only thing you are likely to hear in the middle of the night are a few cows rustling around outside your tent.

The bar and dining area ‘s really made the made special set amongst rice paddies and moats. Here you can watch the various animals such as cows, chickens and ducks wonder around.

For me the highlight of my stay was visiting the village next door, the locals are happy to receive visitors especially the kids (if you are planning a visit take some little toys or pencils for the kids if you can). Based on numbers staying at the lodge the manager will arrange for the village kids to come over after dinner and perform song and dance routines, that was great to see and the kids show so much pride.

Dinner was nice although breakfast was very basic and ordinary, also there were no snacks available in between meals (even for purchase) however when you see how basic the villagers live you get over that.

Optional afternoon activities are also scheduled which include archery, net fishing and rice harvesting, I soon realized I would starve if needed to fend for myself, but it was a bit of fun trying.

If going a Mekong Cruise or in Luang Prabang I would highly recommend a night or two at the Kamu Lodge, I think families with kids would really have a great time.

Special thank you to Lee our guide for his friendly and helpful hospitality!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SydneyKate_40
VillaMaly, General Manager at Kamu Lodge, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Sydney_Kate40,

Sunny greetings from Luang Prabang...
Many thanks for your kind message about you stay at Kamu Lodge. I totally agree with you about Ban Ngoy Hay village. The people living there are wonderful and to be honest when I don't go myself for a month I miss them, especially the kids. I have never seen on person begging. As you say about the kids show, nonetheless the kids are proud but "you" as foreigners are also a show for them.
Thanking you again, Sydney_Kate40, I look forward to welcoming again in Laos.

Axel de Boynes
Apple Tree Properties: Villa Maly, Kamu Lodge, Nava Mekong
paris
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at the Kamu lodge a very short time and unfortunately lots of rain. This did not put us off. We still enjoyed the beautiful nature around and the nice people from the Kamu village. It will be a difficult night if you are scared of spiders, snakes and many other insects like scorpions. But in the morning you will be so proud of yourself. The people of the village are very nice, always ready to help even if they do not speak any english. however, we believe there should be someone with more patience and pedagogy to help the Kamu to be more themselves and not trying to change them into Western Europeans.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Midrangehoteltester,
Warm greetings from Luang Prabang...
Thanks a lot for your feedback after your stay at Kamu Lodge. I also would like to re-assure our other potential customers that it is of course not our aim to turn to westerners the people working at Kamu Lodge. The concept of it is for you all to experience Kamu life through visiting the village of Ngoy Hay and interacting with the dwellers, doing the activities such as gold panning, net fishing and crossbow shooting which is part of the Kamu life.
Regarding our tents, they are safari tents made to ensure that wild life doesn't go in. So you will never find a snake inside.
Thanking you again for your comments, I wish you a nice day.

warm regards,

Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Seize the opportunity, once in a lifetime, to spend a moment in the middle of the Lao forest, surrounded by rice fields on the edge of the quiet Mekong river. It's our advice.
It was an unique moment, ended with the children of the village around singing songs and dancing around a bamboo wood fire.
Definitively, something to do !..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Tony M
Dear Tony M,

Sunny greetings from Luang Prabang...

I would like to thank you very much for your comments about your stay at Kamu Lodge... If I may, as you say, "Seize the opportunity, once in a lifetime...", it is all about it. On top of that, Laos is part of those few countries were you can make lifetime memories... and this is our job here to provide them to you. I am glad to read that you enjoyed very much your stay in the Lao jungle and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Apple Tree Properties: Villa Maly, Kamu Lodge, Nava Mekong