Kamu Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Calao Hotel(Luang Prabang)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
Lan Kham Riverside(Luang Prabang)
Sala Prabang(Luang Prabang)
Sokdee Residence(Luang Prabang)
View Hotel
Villa Lao Wooden House(Luang Prabang)
View Hotel
All reviewsgold panningrice plantinglocal villagesolar powerwater buffalopaddy fieldspak ou cavesvillage childrenone nightvillage visitoptional activitiesbeautiful tripmekong riveradjacent villageliving conditionsday cruiseoil lamps
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed at Kamu Lodge for one night with my family (3 kids 10 and under) in October 2012. It was one of the highlights of our visit to Laos. It started with a slow boat ride up the Mekong, with a free stop at the Pak Ou Caves (which was nice because this saved us from making that trip separately). The lodge itself is set right next to a local village, and really the whole experience revolves around that. The accomodations are in tents - yes, tents - but they are about as nice as you can get for a tent! Each tent is a permanent structure, with an attached bathroom with running hot and cold water. The kids loved it - they felt like they were camping, but still had a toilet a few feet away. But you won't spend much time in the tent. The magic of Kamu Lodge is the village - walking around the houses, meeting the people, watching them make baskets and carry huge sacks of rice around (my kids were impressed with how strong the village kids were!), playing a game of hacky-sack volleyball with the village kids, etc. It was authentic, it was friendly, and it was eye-opening for all of us. Plus, the staff gives you a tour of many of the normal activities they do there every day. My kids loved shooting the crossbow, fishing with the net, and trying to harvest the rice. They have a long way to go to be effective farmers, though! The food was excellent - all local fare provided in an open-air restaurant in the middle of a rice field. All in all, it was just about a 30 hour experience (from departure from Luang Prabang to arrival back there the next day). But we felt like we had a week full of experiences in that time. I would highly recommend this for all travellers to Laos, for a truly different and wonderful experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jason B
VillaMaly, General Manager at Kamu Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear Jason B,
Sunny greetings from Luang Prabang...
Thank you so much for your kind message about your family experience at Kamu Lodge. It seems that you and kids really enjoyed your time at the Lodge, this makes everybody in the team happy here.
I hope we will have the chance to welcome you all again in the future for another Kamu Experience.
In the meantime, I wish you all a fantastic day.
Warmest regards,
Operations Manager
Apple Tree Group: Villa Maly, Kamu Lodge, Nava Mekong

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Kamu Lodge is a wonderful place to stop on the way by river from Luang Prabeng to Chang Rai in northern Thailand. Good tent accomodation, fun trying the activities, rice planting, net fishing, etc and having contact with the villagers. For me the best was the evening meal in the hut built in the middle of the rice paddy fields, with only the sounds of the nearby forest, and th noise of the ocasional water buffalo.

My only regret was that I did not stay another night though most people stay one night before carrying on along the Mekong. Next time !!

Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo

Dear Bill E,
Many thanks for sharing with us your Experience at Kamu Lodge. We have just finished another rice harvest and our water ox whilst still resting, slowly get ready to plow again. I agree with you when you talk about a 2 nights stay as during the second day, there is plenty of time to go for an easy trekking, walking through a Laoloum village and enjoying lunch at a very nice waterfall in the jungle.
I hope we will have the chance to welcome you again, Bill E, in the near future for another great experience.
Operations Manager
Apple Tree Group: Villa Maly, Kamu Lodge, Nava Mekong

Reviewed September 3, 2012

This was a stunningly beautiful place to stay. It is in the heart of tropical vegetation on the banks of the Mekong. We had a "tent room" which was far grander than the name suggests. The tent is covered in a thatch "roof" and the floor is tiled. The setting is idyllic - in amongst paddy fields and this was all candle lit in the evening.
There is no electircal point in the tent but the manager is happy to charge your phone/camera in his room if you need him to.
A lovely relaxing stay

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julienne L
VillaMaly, General Manager at Kamu Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Dear Julienne L,
I would like to thank you very much for sharing with us your experience at Kamu Lodge. It is indeed an amazing beautiful place, even more now in my opinion when it is rainy season and the Mekong is so high and the jungle so green.
Thanking you again, Julienne L, I look forward to welcoming you again in the future in Luang Prabang.

A. de Boynes.
Apple Tree Properties: Villa Maly, Kamu Lodge, Nava Mekong

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Kamu Lodge is hidden from view by the lush vegetation of the forest. So a lovely surprise to come across the secluded tents which are quite comfortable. The staff are welcoming, happy and lovely to deal with. There are numerous activities which one can participate in with the local villages, or just spend time resting/reading. No TV or Wi-Fi which is perfect for a restful visit. Small, but tasty dinner.
However, on the negative side, in spite of the Mosquito netting over the beds, there should be bug spray or mozzie coils provided in the tents. I also think the tent walls should be sprayed on a regular basis for preventative measures. Bug bites are testimony to this requirement.
The bathrooms are very sparse and the floors need resurfacing, and although these are cosmetic issues, gives the impression of neglect.
The bed linen should also be renewed, and soon.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear lizpowrie_11,
Many thanks for sharing your comments about Kamu Lodge. You are totally right about the sprays, and usually we do provide mosquito sprays to our guests. I will address your points to Olivier, our Kamu Lodge Manager in order to ensure that this does not happen again.
We also have a Maintenance program ongoing and are working tent by tent to refresh them.
Thanking you again, lizpowrie_11, I look forward to welcoming you again in Luang Prabang in the future.

Apple Tree Properties: Villa Maly, Nava Mekong, Kamu Lodge

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had decided, instead of the 2 day trip down the Mekong from Thailand to Luang Prabang we would make it last longer and found out about Kamu Lodge. Very glad we did. It is a place to just be, to do as much or as little as you want. To enjoy the beautiful scenery all around us was very peaceful and restful for the soul. The tents were fun (even for us nearing 60 years). The quiet and just enjoying nature at its best was a joy.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Doris S,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience at Kamu Lodge. Kamu Lodge is truly an experience to live and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed it and I can assure you that each and every time, I go there myself, I see things I had never seen before in my life...
Thanking you again, Doris S, I hope you will grant us the opportunity to welcome you at Villa Maly for a sindad around the pool or on board Nava Mekong for a sunset dinner cruise on Mekong River.

Operations Manager - Laos
Apple Tree properties: Villa Maly, Nava Mekong, Kamu Lodge.