“Eating Dinner by candle light in a hut at the intersection of 4 paddy field !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kamu Lodge

Kamu Lodge
Ranked #27 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Kamu Lodge is a wonderful place to stop on the way by river from Luang Prabeng to Chang Rai in northern Thailand. Good tent accomodation, fun trying the activities, rice planting, net fishing, etc and having contact with the villagers. For me the best was the evening meal in the hut built in the middle of the rice paddy fields, with only the sounds of the nearby forest, and th noise of the ocasional water buffalo.

My only regret was that I did not stay another night though most people stay one night before carrying on along the Mekong. Next time !!

Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
VillaMaly, General Manager at Kamu Lodge, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Bill E,
Many thanks for sharing with us your Experience at Kamu Lodge. We have just finished another rice harvest and our water ox whilst still resting, slowly get ready to plow again. I agree with you when you talk about a 2 nights stay as during the second day, there is plenty of time to go for an easy trekking, walking through a Laoloum village and enjoying lunch at a very nice waterfall in the jungle.
I hope we will have the chance to welcome you again, Bill E, in the near future for another great experience.
Operations Manager
Apple Tree Group: Villa Maly, Kamu Lodge, Nava Mekong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Thai first
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

This was a stunningly beautiful place to stay. It is in the heart of tropical vegetation on the banks of the Mekong. We had a "tent room" which was far grander than the name suggests. The tent is covered in a thatch "roof" and the floor is tiled. The setting is idyllic - in amongst paddy fields and this was all candle lit in the evening.
There is no electircal point in the tent but the manager is happy to charge your phone/camera in his room if you need him to.
A lovely relaxing stay

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julienne L
VillaMaly, General Manager at Kamu Lodge, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Julienne L,
I would like to thank you very much for sharing with us your experience at Kamu Lodge. It is indeed an amazing beautiful place, even more now in my opinion when it is rainy season and the Mekong is so high and the jungle so green.
Thanking you again, Julienne L, I look forward to welcoming you again in the future in Luang Prabang.

A. de Boynes.
Apple Tree Properties: Villa Maly, Kamu Lodge, Nava Mekong
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Kamu Lodge is hidden from view by the lush vegetation of the forest. So a lovely surprise to come across the secluded tents which are quite comfortable. The staff are welcoming, happy and lovely to deal with. There are numerous activities which one can participate in with the local villages, or just spend time resting/reading. No TV or Wi-Fi which is perfect for a restful visit. Small, but tasty dinner.
However, on the negative side, in spite of the Mosquito netting over the beds, there should be bug spray or mozzie coils provided in the tents. I also think the tent walls should be sprayed on a regular basis for preventative measures. Bug bites are testimony to this requirement.
The bathrooms are very sparse and the floors need resurfacing, and although these are cosmetic issues, gives the impression of neglect.
The bed linen should also be renewed, and soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear lizpowrie_11,
Many thanks for sharing your comments about Kamu Lodge. You are totally right about the sprays, and usually we do provide mosquito sprays to our guests. I will address your points to Olivier, our Kamu Lodge Manager in order to ensure that this does not happen again.
We also have a Maintenance program ongoing and are working tent by tent to refresh them.
Thanking you again, lizpowrie_11, I look forward to welcoming you again in Luang Prabang in the future.

Apple Tree Properties: Villa Maly, Nava Mekong, Kamu Lodge
Luang Prabang, Laos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had decided, instead of the 2 day trip down the Mekong from Thailand to Luang Prabang we would make it last longer and found out about Kamu Lodge. Very glad we did. It is a place to just be, to do as much or as little as you want. To enjoy the beautiful scenery all around us was very peaceful and restful for the soul. The tents were fun (even for us nearing 60 years). The quiet and just enjoying nature at its best was a joy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Doris S,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience at Kamu Lodge. Kamu Lodge is truly an experience to live and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed it and I can assure you that each and every time, I go there myself, I see things I had never seen before in my life...
Thanking you again, Doris S, I hope you will grant us the opportunity to welcome you at Villa Maly for a sindad around the pool or on board Nava Mekong for a sunset dinner cruise on Mekong River.

Operations Manager - Laos
Apple Tree properties: Villa Maly, Nava Mekong, Kamu Lodge.
Rennes, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Got to Kamu Lodge by a three- hour slow boat on Mekong River from Luang Prabang, I was impressed by the greenery and wilderness of nature surrounding Kamu Lodge. The lodge appears in the harmony with nature by its thatched roofs and many natural facilities. There was no wifi and television here, I felt lucky as finally I had an relaxing stay entirely.
There many interesting activities that guests can join here like archery, fishing, rice planting, gold panning, trekking to forests and more.

Kamu Lodge is the highlight of my trip to Laos.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
VillaMaly, General Manager at Kamu Lodge, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear DannySmile,
Great news today to read that you had a great time at Kamu Lodge and liked our activities. It is indeed a beautiful place nestled along Mekong River and the people of Ngoy Hay village are trully kind people. Each and every time I go there myself, I see things I have never seen in my life !
Really a great experience.
Thanking you again, I hope we will be able to welcome you again in the future and share unforgettable moments.
Warmest regards,
Apple Tree Properties: Villa Maly, Kamu Lodge, Nava Mekong
Hue, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

For those who love nature, this eco- friendly lodge is a paradise. I had a chance to stay at this beautiful lodge with my colleagues. My trip was really relaxing and exciting. We had two days full of activities and never felt bored, we joined interesting activities at the lodge as part of our team building program. The rice planting, fishing, gold panning and archery were great experiences and new to me.

Thanks to the lodge management board to arrange such great activites for us.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
VillaMaly, General Manager at Kamu Lodge, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Tina N,
It was a pleasure to welcome you and your colleagues for this team building. I and the team are really happy that you did enjoy so much the activities and generally speaking your stay at Kamu Lodge. It is indeed an amazing experience.
I hope we will have the chance to welcome you again in the future. In the meantime, I wish you a fantastic day.
Warmest regards,
Apple Tree properties: Villa Maly, Nava Mekong, Kamu Lodge
Hue, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

The thing I miss the most after the trip to Laos was the boat trip on the Mekong River to Kamu Lodge. I jaw-dropped to see the stunning beauty of the landscapes on the two sides of Mekong River. And I almost jumped with joy to be at peaceful Kamu Lodge. I love my comfortable cottage which gave me the close-to-nature feeling. Just a few steps from my cottage was the valley where you could find a restaurant right in the middle of the rice fields and the bar by the lotus pond. I even ventured to have a Lao massage in a open-cottage by Mekong River. It was the most lovely massage I have so far. I miss the smiles of the children in the next-door village (Kamu Village). They are bright and warm, which reflects a simple beauty. I'm also very pleased with our guide Lee who accompanied me and other guests on the boat trip and instructed us some outdoor activities here such as gold panning, throwing fish net, etc. He knows the place very well and he's really lovely and considerate to us.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
VillaMaly, General Manager at Kamu Lodge, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear HuongLan,
Greetings from sunny Luang Prabang,
Many thanks for sharing your experience at Kamu Lodge and posting new pictures. They are beautiful, especially the one with the cute little girls.
It is always a pleasure to read when one of our customers truly enjoyed her stay with us. I will for sure let our kamu staffs know about it.
Looking forward to welcoming you again at Kamu Lodge, I wish you a very nice day.

Apple Tree properties: Villa Maly, Kamu Lodge, Nava Mekong