“Charming and great location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Bakery Guesthouse
Ranked #149 of 260 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Ely, UK
“Charming and great location”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The location in the heart of Luang Prabang, right next door to the first night market stall was excellent. The three rooms at the from have wonderful balconies overlooking one of the main streets along which the monks pass each early morning. We had room 3, the middle front room, and it was well furnished but a bit tight for space. However the large balcony made up for this and was a convenient place to store our large bags to maximise the space in the room. We didn't mind the showers being in the toilet space but you do need to make sure that the loo roll is safe from the shower! The staff were all very helpful, especially Ms Farng, who changed our flights, booked transport, and advised on changing money. Each morning I went down to the restaurant early and they were happy to give me two mugs of boiling water to make our early morning tea on which my wife insists! We certainly didn't find the staff rude, as some other reviewers have suggested. We enjoyed the breakfasts. I agree with other reviewers that is a little overpriced but the brilliant location more than made up for that and I would certainly stay there again and recommend it to other travellers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front with the lovely balconies; as other reviewers have suggested room 5 is b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Thai first
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed there for 3 nights. Its a cosy and clean hotel. Very good location. It is just in front of the night market and 5 mins walk to the riverside. There's a lot if bike rental just along the road where you can rent it at 20,000kip and cycle around luang prabang town.

The food served at the restaurant is good too!

Room Tip: If you wish to view morning alms ceremony in the morning. Do choose the room with balcony. You can s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lenacoco
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I spent a total of five nights at the Luang Prabang Bakery Guesthouse during my visit. This period was divided between two of the front-facing (balcony) rooms. The first two nights was spent in the 'middle' of the three balcony rooms (I think this was Room #3) and the final three nights was in the 'furthermost' balcony room (Room #5 I think). There was a big difference between the size and quality of the two rooms, with Room #5 DEFINITELY being a far superior choice for exactly the same price - it was bigger, better furnished, and brighter. (See my photos for a comparison.)

I booked well in advance, but after walking around Luang Prabang a bit and chatting with a few people, I tend to agree with other posters that the Bakery Guesthouse is a little over-priced. Having said that, this is a VERY well-positioned guesthouse (just a few metres from where the night markets commence), the building itself is charming and full of character, the balconies are a terrific place to relax and watch the world go by, and the food served downstairs is good quality. The bathrooms are older style (no separate shower/shower-screen etc), which can be messy, but I'm used to this traveling through many parts of Asia.

Personally, I found the staff to be friendly and engaging. (Just remember that although Luang Prabang is a tourist hot-spot, the locals are still learning the whole tourist business, and what you might perceive to be "rudeness" might actually be lack of confidence, fear, embarrassment on their part due to language/cultural barriers etc)

I would stay here again - perhaps just for the first couple of nights - and depending on the time of year I would look around town to see what else is available/prices for the rest of my stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank The_Made_Guy
Australia
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Booked 2 rooms through Asia Web Direct and in hindsight realise we paid paid far too much for our rooms. Mine was at the front with a lovely balcony whereas my friends were at the back and their view was of the back yard. My room was nicely furnished with quite a good bathroom & it was clean. The staff were friendly in the reception area, however the staff in the bakery/restaurant seemed extremely inexperienced and the service was just OK. The biggest problem I had was that having paid my deposit by Credit Card which was mandatory through Asia Web Direct, decided to pay the balance of the bill by the same method even though I had the cash on me. Was quite annoyed when a couple of weeks later discovered my Credit Card transaction appeared on my Credit Card statement as a cash advance which incurred set up fees and ongoing interest even though I transferred the full amount as soon as the mistake was discovered. Made enquiries with Asia Web Direct and they maintained that the Bakery and Guesthouse had processed my payment as a Credit transation. On the other hand my Bank was adament that they received a Cash Advance transaction from the Merchant bank in question. So between paying my account at the Luang Prabang Bakery and Guesthouse reception and it reaching my bank it mysteriously became as Cash Advance. No one would accept responsibility at the SE Asia end and it took numerous e-mails to my Mastercard provider before they changed the transaction to a Credit one as opposed to a Cash Advance, still I had already incurred set up fees and an interest payment. So, beware!! I would advise anyone staying there to pay the bill in cash.

Room Tip: Front rooms with a view of the street are much better.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank lorrainemargaret
Ireland
Reviewed April 29, 2012

seemed like we were the only guests when we stayed.staff didnt really speak english,nor were they very helpful with any questions we had re tours,prices etc.Its mainly a bakery/restaurant with the rooms as an afterthought.shoes not allowed to be worn in hotel which was weird!Our room was 35USD a night for a double,spacious comfy, lovely bed,great AC, free water and fresh towels. Bathroom was lovely, but flooded everytime you showered which we complained about but they did nothing about.Location is on the main street, but there are much better places to stay and probably better value for money. We booked late so this was the best we could get!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere for cheaper!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank europeangirl
Middelburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Very good location. NIce balcony. Clean. Friendly staff. Breakfast mediocre. Room is very small. All in all: too expensive.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Thee2
Reviewed February 29, 2012

The hotel where I was staying couldn't accommodate me for an extra night so I moved here. For $10 more a night than the previous place, I got a room half the size and twice as dirty.
The stairs at this place are dangerously slippery - avoid for that reason alone. The balcony is nice for watching tak bat without interfering, but that also means that your neighbors' smoke filters into your room. The bathroom is very awkward and doesn't drain well.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo