“Avoid”

$775.00*
and up
4-Night Laos Tour to Luang Prabang from Vientiane by Air
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Thinking you are supporting the local craftspeople is like thinking bears enjoy being paid to dance. Bottling scorpions, snakes and assorted creatures in hooch for the gratification of tourists shouldn't be indulged.

1  Thank Iuncus

Reviewed October 5, 2013

The village is geared to the tourist, and there are better places to get your rice Whisky. Our guide took us down the Mekong by long tailed boat and we stopped at another village where they gave us toasts and passed the time delightfully. It was off the beaten path, so made the whisky Village pale by comparison. Nonetheless, the river trip is well worth any stop along the way.

1  Thank Michael R
Reviewed July 31, 2013

It's one of the mandatory stops on the way to the Buddha Cave. The place was neither interesting nor exciting. It's a wee wee stop.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This whisky village made me unlike whisky what was my favorite. They made whisky by many things mixed. Look arround this area what is so dirty with unfriendly people. We just look and dont wanna by with bad whisky what they calling. If you just touch and leave, they will be talk & talk some other language what you cant understand. Dont go this village any way !

2  Thank Sergey P
Reviewed March 31, 2013

As I wrote with Pak Ou, this I don't think this is worth a special trip from Luang Prabang (LP). We went there as part of the Nagi of Mekong trip from Thailand to LP, but if I had made a day-trip, I would have been extremely disappointed. It's a dirty village that I felt was lacking character because they were trying to put on the show for the tourists. (Scorpions in a jar is not a local tradition - tourists love it so they do it.) There was a pretty little temple in the middle that made it a little more enjoyable, but there are better temples all over LP.

If you're thinking about heading here for a day from Luang Prabang on a day trip coupled with the Pak Ou caves, I do not recommend it. Luang Prabang is such an amazing place and there is much more to do than go to a dirty show-village and a modest cave.