In a World Heritage listed city, where the push is to cash in on the tourist dollar, the standard of development is often just not consistent with the preservation of either the fabric of the site or its natural atmosphere. This is increasingly the case with Luang Prabang now moving towards the plasticity of a Dsineyland style cultural theme park comprised largely of selling opportunities and very little culture or the humanity which may have produced it. Satri House is an exception rather than the rule in this regard, although most of the hotel is newly constructed, the buildings are all consistent with the French colonial style both inside and out. There is no glitz here though there is plenty of glamour. A stay here evokes the "belle epoch' of French colonialism and despite what one may think of their gross and brutal exploitation of Indo China as a colonial power, in Satri House one can gain a very clear impression of the style to which they became so accustomed, and with that some understanding of why they just didn't want to let it go. The staff of the hotel are charming and helpful, though as is the case everywhere in Laos some flexibility and patience is an inherent requirement; and the gardens both complement the architecture and stand as beauty in their own right. For the "green thumbs" among the guests there is plenty that is exotic to marvel at with plantings drawn from Laos, Thailand, Vietnam and China. There are very few sites like this anywhere in SE Asia where the sense a guest gains is that of being at the home of a friend in exotic surrounds. It is an ideal place from which to explore the Heritage Area while it still has much to explore and a wonderful place just to kick back and chill. The food is good home cooked food, even if the menu is a little limited; there are other places in town that can cater to the desire for a culinary extravaganza but few who can top the simple comfortable fare here for the "daily bread."
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the city, Satri House was built at the turn of the last century as the residence of Prince Souphanouvong. This building owns to Unesco Heritage. Satri House was refurbished in 2002 by Mrs. Lamphoune Voravongsa and has been run since as a hotel. During 2008 and 2012 the hotel has been enlarged with the addition of more colonial style buildings consisting of 14 Deluxe rooms, 14 junior suites and 3 Satri House suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Satri House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Satri House Hotel Luang Prabang
- Satri Hotel Luang Prabang