We stayed at Satri House for a total of 7 nights. We decided to go for a camping trip at the beginning of our stay and Satri House was very accommodating in keeping our luggage until we returned.
We checked in very late the first time and my husbands response as soon as we entered the room was "this has to be the coolest place we've ever stayed!" Granted, the shower in the first room was very strange and got everything wet when we took a shower, I was thankful they moved us to a different room for the second check-in. The bathroom did have a "sewer" smell at times, but we have found that unfortunately in Asia that isn't terribly uncommon. They light lemongrass in the rooms to help combat the smells.
Breakfast was great, a lot of good choices offered and the bread basket was impressive. We didn't choose to eat in the hotel often because there is so much more to be had in Luang Prabang, menu choices were OK, prices a bit high for what is offered. We were there over the new year and enjoyed the quiet, elegant celebration offered by the hotel that included dinner in the garden, a traditional Baci Ceremony as well as the launching of paper lanterns.
We always felt as though our comfort and pleasure were the hotel's top priority, even if our requests weren't always understood and/or granted on the first or sometimes even the second try. The manager, Joffrey Gris was very receptive to our feedback and welcomed all of our comments. He is clearly working very hard to make Satri House everything their guests hope it will be.
The hotel provides bicycles for getting to the main part of town which is about 5 minutes by bicycle. We were able to put our two children on bicycles with us that had cushions and foot pegs on the back. The hotel rented bicycles for us a few times when the bicycles with the cushions were already being used.
Our room overlooked the pool, I see this may not be for everyone, and privacy is not as great, but it was nice for supervision of our children as they could play in the garden and we could hear and see them clearly.
This is a very neat hotel, and after exploring all over Luang Prabang on the bicycles provided, we felt very happy with our choice of Satri House. There are many cool antique pieces and a few sitting rooms to explore. The internet didn't work for most of our stay, so I found myself in the office area whenever I needed to check-in back home, but we found that most restaurants were out of internet that week as well.
We really enjoyed our stay at Satri House and would love to go back some day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the city, Satri House was built at the turn of the last century as the residence of Prince Souphanouvong. This building owns to Unesco Heritage. Satri House was refurbished in 2002 by Mrs. Lamphoune Voravongsa and has been run since as a hotel. During 2008 and 2012 the hotel has been enlarged with the addition of more colonial style buildings consisting of 14 Deluxe rooms, 14 junior suites and 3 Satri House suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Satri House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Satri House Hotel Luang Prabang
- Satri Hotel Luang Prabang