“A jewel facing moutains”

Belmond La Residence Phou Vao
Ranked #5 of 68 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We have been in La Residence Phou Vao this summer with all the family in two rooms facing mountains.
This was a delightful experience. Warmful and professionnal wellcome. All people were so kind and smiling all the time.
Rooms were exceptionnal and the only slight problem we had at arrival (no warm water in one of the two room) was adressed in less than one hour.
My wife tried the spa and massages and she had a wonderful experience.
The location a little bit away from the center is at no time a problem as there is always a van ready to take you downtown at any time of the day and it is very easy and cheap to take a tuk tuk back from downtown
The swimming pool is a real dream, the breakfast is gorgeous, the place is enchanting.
We lool forward to being able to come back next year

1  Thank Jean G
There are newer reviews for Belmond La Residence Phou Vao

Reviewed August 29, 2012

The city and surrounding area make the trip to Luang Prabang worth the effort to get to. To date it is my top non-beach destination in SE Asia. Have been to over 50 countries and countless 5 star hotels and resorts for both work and pleasure, so my review is not based on a once in a lifetime trip or honeymoon.
From start to finish La Residence surpassed my expectations. The hotel is the former guest house of the king. Even though it has all the modern conveniences, it keeps an old world charm about it. Go for the rooms overlooking the pool and valley as they provide some of the best views.The balconies also provide another place to relax and take in the view.
What truly makes this place so special is the combination of understated elagance and an incredible attention to detail. example: When they took us back to the airport everything associated with checking in was taken care of. I noticed guests being dropped off by another 5 star hotel were left at the curb. Big thanks to Eddy and Toui who went out of thier way to make the weekend special for my girlfriend and me in a way that felt genuine and not contrived in any way.
Now for the must dos
The spa treatment for 2 at about $160 is an incredible value for money [2 hour massage and body scrub plus a rose pedal bath]. This is only to be surpassed by the exursion to the waterfall with a picnic for 2 at the base. The setup is incredibly romantic and a bit over the top in a pampered sort of way. Not only did we have our own guide, but also a waiter came along as well [again value for money was unbeleivable] to set up a meal that included a centre piece. The private sunset cruise on the hotel's longboat. The boat is 5 star, and experience is incredibly romantic. Finally, the 500 candle dinner for 2. An experience of a lifetime and worth the price, if you want to take a romantic dinner to the next level.
I will be raving about this place for years to come and will look out for their other properties based on this experience.

Room Tip: Room 101 over looking the pool
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ErichG4
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Perhaps among the very best stays I've ever had. Impeccable service, lovely food and wine, and wonderful sights to see in the region. We hosted my friend's 50th birthday with a surprise "1000 candle" party in the central garden, and the staff worked with us to keep it a complete surprise. We felt wonderfully cared for, I hope this place can keep it's small world charm as Laos grows and expands its economy...but at this point, anyway, it's a small oasis in the big, crowded world.

1  Thank Astilbe_Arendsii
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We have been traveling in SE Asia for approximately 3 weeks and decided to splurge here in Luang Prabang. La Residence didn't disappoint. Every detail attended to, the room with the pool and mountain views was stupendous, the restaurant and poolside service was awesome. It was perfect in every way. The only downside for us was that it was not right in town and my 20 something daughter was at times frustrated that she had to think about organizing a ride to town. I would suggest that the hotel think about offering bikes for guests as it would be a quick and easy bike ride into town and then you could come and go as you like. That said the staff were always available during the day to bring you wherever you liked. During the eve the options were limited to one trip an hour which forces you to plan your outings a bit more than one might like.

Room Tip: We went for the more expensive pool/mtn view and weren't disappointed, but I suspect all rooms a...
2  Thank dalsofrom
LRPV, Manager at Belmond La Residence Phou Vao, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback about our hotel. Your kind words mean a lot to our team as we do strive to offer the best services possible.

You will be happy to know that, as a result of feedback like yours, we do now have bicycles available for our guests on complimentary basis. The hotel cars and tuk tuks are also available daily and on demand till late evening. Our guests will be able to call the hotel at any time from town for a pick up. As the town is approximately 5 minutes slow drive from the hotel, the guests do not have to wait for long time.

We do look forward to your next visit to Luang Prabang or to any of our Orient Express hotels.

Warmest Regards

Management and Team of La Residence Phou Vao

Reviewed August 17, 2012

The Good :
- Very (Very) nice & spacious room with wonderful views of garden or the mountains..
- Friendly, helpful staff who know when to appear & when not to
- Attention to the smallest of details - from housekeeping to reception to restaurant
- Efficiency in arranging free shuttles to/from town (less than 5 mins)
- The bar - a great place to chill out & read a book, have a wonderful whisky sour, and chat with the attentive bartender.
- Nice spread at breakfast, a relaxing dinner at the restaurant
- Even the senior mgt (including the GM, Eddie) meet with you & try to make you feel at home...

The Bad:
- Not much really.. I would have liked it closer to town, as I like to walk & be in the midst of it all, but sometimes, it's nice to be just a little bit away too..
- I could only afford 4 nights! Perhaps Eddie will consider giving me another 4 free the next time? :)

Thanks team at Phou Vao!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 14, 2012

In a way, I feel like I dont want to publicize it, because I would like it all for myself. But on the other hand, it is fair for me to say that this is one of the nicest hotels I know. This summer was the second time I came. The first time, six years ago, I was a bachelor; and this time I wanted to share the experience with my wife, as part of our honeymoon, just because it is such a beautiful place. Exquisite colonial style and rooms, with delightful gardens and pool. The staff are all absolutely delightful and the entire place is supremely managed by Eddie, the friendly and attentive hotel manager. The food is great and the breakfasts overlooking the pool and the valley are unforgettable in a rare and well achieved mix of western and Lao food. In the evenings, I have few times enjoyed a gin and tonic like after a hot summer day like at this lovely bar. Again, a special mention to the hotel staff, who are simply awesome. Always attentive to guests needs and willing to go the extra mile to satisfy them.

When I stay in the place I understand why the French must have been so sorry to leave Laos :)

In short, one of the best hotel experiences I have had (and I have been in many hotels around the world). Highly recommendable for those that seek beauty, comfort and a friendly environment.

Room Tip: If possible, get a room overlooking the valley, it provides a breathtaking view when you wake up in...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2012

An amazing hotel with very helpful staff, great food and lovely clean rooms. We stayed there with our 3 young daughters and they also had a great time. Very close to the city, can walk or catch a tuk tuk. We would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Room 310 (Prabang Suit), plenty of room, great if with children. If wanting a view you will need to...
1  Thank Nicolette P