“We were shuffled here after the Lakhangthong Boutique Hotel denied our booking there”

Central Backpackers Hostel
Central Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We had a confirmed booking at the Lakhangthong Boutique Hotel down the street, Confirmed by Hostelz.com. We were trundled to this Backpackers Hostel, which turned out to be OK, clean, but noisy.
The Vietnamese owner of the Lakhangthong Boutique Hotel also owns this hotel, (he says) and we were moved here because he said that his hotel, up the sreet "is very expensive" and we only booked a "cheaper place", which was this Backpacker Hostel. This was not the truth. He has a scam going, if you book the cheaper room at the Boutique, he moves you down to the Backpackers Hostel, apparently.
The breakfast at the Hostel was good, the rooms were clean, the water was hot and the location was OK. Just disappointing. The people here don't speak Lao, which we do. They are Vietnamese as well. The young man at the desk was helpful but the young lady there was usually in the bed by the desk with a huge quilt over her and couldn't be roused. Keep a sense of humor! You have to to keep on travelling!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank arby1942
There are newer reviews for Central Backpackers Hostel

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I only stayed 1 night there because the manager was extremely rude. When I arrived, the guy was laying down playing with his phone and didn't bother to get up even though I was standing right next to him with my big backpack. I had to tell him "hello!!! I am here to check in". Still in a rude manner, gave me the key to my room and that was it. Later on I needed toilet paper and he gave it to me in an impolite way.

My room was clean, it was a 4 beds room with ensuite bathroom. That room is good, but I heard from other guests that bigger rooms do not have a bathroom and there is only a couple of bathrooms for an entire floor.

Honestly, there is a much better and nicer hostel in Luang Prabang called LPQ Backpackers. Look for it, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Go for a 4 beds room, not a bigger one.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We were honestly quite scared to stay here after reading all the horrible reviews for this hostel. We really don't understand why it has such terrible reviews!

We had such a pleasant stay in the hostel. They provided a good free breakfast, the rooms were clean, the bathroom was clean, and the Vietnamese man running the hostel was so efficient. He literally managed everything himself.

Stayed in a 4 bedroom dorm and we had our own bathroom which was very clean. I mean, they even had toilet paper and we were very pleased with the quality and cleanliness of it.

Location is central, it is only 2 doors away from the famous Spicy Laos hostel. It is a 5 minute walk from the night market, and the monks pass by the hostel during the alms in the whee hours of the morning.

Don't be skeptical due to the horrible reviews. It was honestly really nice staying here :)

Room Tip: 4 bed room dorm if you can book it - the 12 bed dorm looked a bit crowded!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights in January 2014, I initially stayed in a 4 bed dorm room but on the last night I moved to a private room so I could get a good sleep and a bit of privacy. There is a big difference in standard of the dorm and private room, the bunk beds have a really hard and noisy mattress and the bed in the private was nice and soft with a good duvet. You can get boiling hot water in both tho, also bring ear plugs as the walls are very thin so it's noisy no matter where u stay in this hostel. The wifi in the reception/lobby area works the majority of the time and the breakfast although basic is quite adequate considering it's free. You can also eat the free bananas and get a tea or coffee whenever u want for free in the reception, also where tours and transport can be arranged easily. I would stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

So after a 30hour bus journey from Sapa you could imagine how tired one would be. My friend booked through hostel world for 2 nights here putting in an arrival time of 11pm due to us knowing we would arrive late. Deposit down and arrived this morning at 12.30am asked the guy at reception if we could check into our room and he was ridiculously unhelpful. Told us rooms were fully booked.. Yes but we had a reservation. He walked us down the street to another hostel we refused as we had already paid some money down. I asked him to call his manager and have him come down... he claims he called him. More like a friend on the phone then manager. This guy was extremely smug had no consideration for anyone else and expected we wait for hours in reception until the boss arrived later that day. He refused to give us his name and found it quite funny. Waste of space, time and effort.

Please don't even consider this place for a nights stay. Just rudeness from start to finish!!!

We ended up in a Guesthouse 2 doors down... far better and nice gentleman on the door

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank kirstyt88
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Stayed in the dorm for one night. There was a smell of sewerage, bathrooms were disgusting, leaking sinks/ toilets etc. beds were uncomfortable. Iv stayed In Many different hostels around Asia and this was definitely one of the worst.
On a positive note Hostel manager was nice and helpful and breakfast was good. Also offers free coffee and tea so that was a bonus.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 16, 2013

At the start it was a great hostel. Met lots of people, rooms ok. If you want to party this is not the place, or LP in fact. My friends put some washing in and all their whites came back blue. After approaching and arguing with the PIG "manager" he said not his problem. In the end all they got back from him was a refund of their money and ruined clothes. After over charging myself for the same room as a friend who paid half the price I was not happy. Stay somewhere else, it is not central and the "manger" is a total ****

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends