“Excellent food in relaxed, child friendly environment”
Review of Joys Restaurant

Joys Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 201 Restaurants in Luang Prabang
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Hong Kong, China
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food in relaxed, child friendly environment”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We followed the directions in the reviews and were not disappointed, It was very relaxed so the kids (3 and 5) were able to play with some lego while we finished eating. The service was friendly and I would recommend the crispy fried fish with garlic. An added bonus was the cards with beautiful shots of Laos. A great find.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank JudyVC

• Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
“OK food, pretty cheap”
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

I guess it depends on what you look for in a restaurant. If you are looking for basic local food on the cheap, this is your place.

If you are looking for interesting food, this isn't it.

We had green papaya salad: shredded green papaya with a dressing; and chicken laab: ground chicken, a little onion and a dressing. It was all good in a basic way, but pretty plain.

Visited February 2014
Ottery St. Mary, United Kingdom
“Nowhere better”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Joy's is slightly out of the way..but is a hidden gem. Part restaurant...part photographic gallery, the food is excellent as are the surroundings and the staff..a home from home. Indeed, a Lao friend says Joy is the the second best cook in Laos.....the best? His Mum of course!
Alan

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank afsl0nd0n
London, United Kingdom
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I've visited Luang Prabang six times over the last 8 years and Joy's restaurant is always the place that I want to eat at. It has remained consistently good over the years - and one of the reasons why I rank it so highly. I haven't had a dish that I've been unsatisfied with. My favourite is certainly the Pad Thai and I think that its the nicest I've eaten in my travels in Laos and Thailand. Apart from the food, the ambience is great and being able to see the photographs taken by Paul, Joy's husband, on the wall is always a delight. Only slight draw back is that its slightly tucked away - but its certainly worth making the effort to find.

• Visited January 2014
Beirut, Lebanon
“Loveliest little corner of Luang Prabang”
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful little place run it's namesake Joy, whose name fits her so well.

The menu is big, with many specialities, including Western and Lao cuisines. I had the pleasure of trying the noodle soup, the chicken Laap, and the Mekong weed chips. All three were delightfully tasty. Joy even made me a wonderful ginger lemon honey tea to heal my aching traveller body. I came out of her place feeling a lot better. I'm going back tomorrow to try the fish laap and her stews.

• Visited January 2014