“Nice setting, ok food, ok prices”
Review of Tangor

Tangor
Ranked #7 of 220 Restaurants in Luang Prabang
Cuisines: Asian, French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We choose Tangor based on the high ratings given on Trip advisor. While I wouldn't say any of it was bad, it wasn't anything I would write home about. I had the Prawn Curry while my husband had Basil Chicken. Both were fine, just not great.
The staff were pleasant, if not a little busy. We actually thought they might have been a staff member down on the night we visited.
They did have a very good wine list.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Simply superb lemongrass fish! Light and flaky with an amazingly textured coconut lemongrass sauce. The basil curry chicken and ginger pork were excellent, and the spring rolls were delicious (though an unusually small portion size). We loved the atmosphere, the music, and the mojitos!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had been in Luang Prabang for a week and noted how packed the Tangor Restaurant Bar & Lounge had been every night. Tonight we decided to try it. The host gave us a table with a wonderful view of the street, and the atmosphere inside was low key and sophisticated with some nice ambient music. It took only a few seconds for the drinks and dinner menu to arrive, we chose our drinks immediately and took a look through the very limited menu. Average price for Starters was 25,000Kip ($3) Mains around 50,000Kip ($6) which we thought was reasonable.

The beverages arrived... then nothing, in fact a further 15 minutes to even attract some attention with our food order. The response from the Maitre D' / Owner was "Oh, I did not know you want to eat". He told us about the Chef's Plate as a Starter as well as the special of the day, Duck Breast Soy, Ginger and Mandarine Glaze - my partner chose both these. I chose fresh Spring Rolls @ 25,000Kip and Laos Basil Chicken Curry @ 55,000Kip. The owner returned and advised the Chicken Curry was no longer available, and recommended the Burmese Seafood Curry, which I accepted.

The Seafood Curry was divine, my partner's Duck was dreadful, barely warm, under cooked - and by that I mean RARE! Something that poultry should never be, the fat under the skin hadn't even begun to melt, the skin of the duck was like a wet sponge and the flesh of the duck was as tough as boot leather, clearly because it hadn't been cooked correctly.

Service was terrible and inattentive, but the rudest shock was when we went to counter to collect the bill and discovered that the Seafood Curry I had been talked into was 70,000Kip ($9)- almost 50% more than my original choice. The Duck with Soy Ginger & Mandarine Glaze was an exraordinary 140,000Kip ($18) triple anything that we had seen on the original menu, and we had not been told of this price.

Whilst the atmosphere was lovely, the service was below par, the price for such lack lustre food was ridiculous!

1  Thank travelvoice
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I went to Tangor while viewing at the tripadvisor and awaiting with a great meal because we reserve this restaurant for our lastnigth dinner, We were very disapointed because the service is very slow. It took us 20mn to get a drink and other 30 minute to get our starter. Menu is quiet small and very expensive. I took a main dish which was Duck with small portion of steam rice costed 140000kip which by far too expensive compare to somewhere else in Luang Prabang, do not border and go somewhere else

Thibault J, Gérant at Tangor, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Mr John,

Thank you for your comment.

To rate us as horrible surprised us a little bit.

We were not thinking that we were that bad. Indeed we openned our establishment in Luang Prabang since only 2 months and the service sometimes can be a little bit slower than in some other places in Luang Prabang.

It is mainly because everything we do is freshly prepared by our chef and not just prepared in advance or even defrozed then dressed.

We are a very small team and we always try to do our best to satisfy our guest but iam sure you noticed that.

The impact of such comment is very serious for our business and we take it seriously into consideration.

Nevertheless the price of a full Duck Breast was advertised on the big Black board below the mention "Today special". We cannot say that we did not inform our custommer about it.

The duck breast that we use is directly imported from Vietnam you can not find any "local" duck breast in Laos that you can trust,.
That's why we sell the full duck breast 140 000 kip (14 euros)

It is a shame that you did not speak to us frankly, we could have find a way to solve this problem.

Of course it is much more easy to express your disappointment on the web.

I am available to answer any question at any time if needed

T.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This very kind French couple created a very cosy ambiance in their restaurant. Food we ordered was the chefs sampler: starter( spring rolls, gazpacho and delicious salad), wonton soup, ginger pork and a desert. Also special of the day, duck a l orange, and a curry were ordered. All very good.
But the very friendly ambiance was a great plus too. The young restaurateurs are from Bretagne , need I say more about their friendliness....?
Make reservations ahead of time.