“family run guest house, friendly staff, 10min walk to town center”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Global Guesthouse

Global Guesthouse
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“family run guest house, friendly staff, 10min walk to town center”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

i stayed 3 nights at liberty guest house. my room is right next to the reception desk. it is a very basic small room with bathroom inside. whenever i open the door, Ming(the owner.?) is always there assisting me with any questions or requests. every day the housekeeping lady tidy up my bed and replace with a dry bath towel. breakfast is simple, eggs,cut fruit, french bread roll and a drink. all staff are very friendly. i find its very safe staying here. at night there is always a security guard outside (actually the security is for the villa opposite to LGH, but he is physically in front of the door.)

LGH is located on a back street about 10mins walk to town center. it is noisy when the day starts. you can hear the trafic, rooster, someone's TV, people talking. as my room is on ground floor, when the guests upstairs come back, it sounds like the ceiling is gonna drop. also hair dryer is not provided even though on room description they say it is available. this caused me big inconvenience. but on the last morning before i left, Ming showed me the new hair dryer he bought.

overall, i think Liberty guest house's soft ware is better than hardware. nice people, average room.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Julia Z

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Park City, Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

I NEVER leave a review unless I feel compelled to do so, but I feel obligated to help other travelers whose reviews have influenced me. I would love to give this place five stars as I hate to leave anything less as the people there were nice and I did enjoy some nice moments, but overall, it was a tad disappointing. I was quite convinced by the reviews on TA that this was the best option in LP, but that is completely not the case. LP is jam packed with lots of great sleep options that are not yet listed on TA. I was pretty shocked to see the management sleeping on the cold entry floor and felt sorry that they choose to do so, but having them right there every night made me feel it was a safe place. Maybe my expectations were too high, but after talking to so many other travelers who shopped and found really great guest houses and even a new hostel, I know now I should not have felt so obligated by my reservation. Everyone I met suggested I move, but I didn't want to bail on my reserved room. And it had a certain level of comfort, safety, good internet connection and CNN! Coming from a hostel dorm in Siem Reap, it seemed like an upgrade for me. Look, the Vietnam owner and his sister are sweet, but more than sweet they are savvy business-minded people. The guest house doesn't have the best location compared to other guest houses right in the midst of town for the same or similar pricing, newer, dependable hot water, even real bathrooms, and FREE breakfasts, but I can say that the owners are very good about answering emails and generating business. Perhaps the focus should be more balanced. Providing satisfied customers staying for a few nights for good ratings over time is the ticket. Customers want value. They are paying for a good bed and a temperature decent environment (if it's too hot or too cold they are not going to be happy - they are basically paying specifically for a decent night of sleep). If the bed is rock hard or spring ridden, which is common in SE Asia, become the place that offers decent beds, extra blankets, friendliness, helpfulness AND reasonable, standard prices (comparatively). The beds at Liberty aren't the worst in SE Asia, but if you have any sort of back problem, look at the specific bed before committing. I am VERY sorry I didn't do that. At the current price, extra blankets, a decent level of hot water and a free breakfast are expected. It's not a $5 a night hostel dorm room where mere shelter is the aim. There is nothing that can be done about the noise and loud music next door. It stops by midnight. You're in Laos so I guess this is part of the experience. Even in town, near the infamous Utopia (don't miss it!) the most expensive hotels in town suffer from loud music until about midnight. I didn't mind the ten minute walk to town, although it deterred me from going to the early morning monk procession, too early in the pitch dark alone. There are none, or maybe one light on that street. It is spooky after dark, no matter what time it is, but that's not a deal breaker if the value is there. I think the building is nice enough to make into a great guest house. The street isn't bad, in fact the house is mixed right in with large expensive hotels that have security guards so that is a plus! I think the management and friendliness level is high enough, but I get the sense that the aim of customer satisfaction is pretty low. This will kill any business over time. The management needs to be as organized and sincere about customer satisfaction as they are about profits. The requirement to remove shoes serves to irritate anyone with laces, soils clean socks, soils shoe inserts and should be abolished in favor of customer satisfaction. This isn't someone's home, it's a tourist business. The maid can mop every day as the front area is pretty small. A paying customer should not have to freeze in bed all night when unusually cold temperatures set in. It should not be shocking when customers expect extra blankets to keep warm or even pad the bed for back problems. There is no heating option in the room. The blankets should be decent for this price, not thin and ultimately useless for serious warmth. A customer should not have to bring his own blanket to keep warm, but a decent sleeping bag really would have been valuable! Since there are so many options for stays and so many new options right in town, this little place has to compete with real quality customer service and satisfaction if they are going to flourish and get great reviews. There is also a new backpacker hostel just a couple blocks off the main road. Ask at the tourist info center (closed during lunch). It is very difficult to meet people in a guest house situation, but I was willing to give that up for the comfort I was thinking I would get for the extra expenditure. Breakfast can be had here for $2 with fruit, so it’s a good value, although other guest houses in the same range offer free breakfast. BTW, they cannot call a tuk tuk for you if you just want to go to town, they will only call one for you if you want to go to the airport. You can walk a block or so and find your own you are told, but if you have any reason you don’t want to walk it, well, that’s the only option apparently. If there were not so many other options for the same price in better locations and as a backup, I would say Liberty is a lower average, not horrible, maybe over-priced for value stay. I had no problem with management. I was willing to pay the prices they charged and I wasn't careful about checking them against other stays myself, so I can't speak to other reviews who state Liberty is overpriced. I didn't see all the rooms, but I would spice up the place with some comfort and warmth, if it were mine. The pictures posted on TA make it seem luxurious, but don't expect anything over basic and you will be more satisfied. It would be nice if they would put up a shower curtain and build a little lip to contain shower water because the entire bathroom floor becomes extremely slippery all night after a PM pre-bed shower and it is easy to slip if you use the toilet when sleepy, should you forget the floor is wet. Be sure to do your own calculations and count your change. People make innocent mistakes. It happens.

Room Tip: Ask for something on the same side as the HOTEL and away from the HOME next door.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MorningstarMarilyn
los angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

This place is getting great reviewed but they are highly skewed to the fact that people make friends with the owner and he asked everyone for great reviews.

That in itself is fine because they are running a business. But the reality is, that makes 80% of the reviews inaccurate.

The owner, young guy from Vietnam is a cool guy. I'll give him that - he is friendly and helps his guest out. But trust of the matter is, as soon as you check in a walk around, you will realize that you are paying 200-300% more than other better locating hotels that are more modern and by the chao praya river.

Room is just in a bad shape for the money. Bathrooms too. I don't have a problem staying in those places but not at paying double the rate.

I asked for a pickup from the airport based on the previous reviews. Bad idea, he did not notify me there was a charge. I thought it was free but he charged slightly less than double what it would have otherwise costs me just taking a random taxi from the airport. He said he told me via email but I just checked - there was no reference to price. Fine, maybe it was forgotten.

I rented a motorbike. Took it out for about 7 hours and brought it home at night. He wanted the keys back even though I am paying him 50% more than the going rate and it should have been for 24 hours. I mean, if I made it a big deal, I am sure he would have budged but I didn't feel like even bringing it up when he suggests to give him back the keys. I don't feel I need to ask for what is rightfully mine and paid for.

Anyway, the main reason for the low rating is the value.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank jebediah k
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

What a delightful place to stay, in a quiet location within five minutes walk from the centre where there is plenty of places to eat, not to mention the excellent night market where you can get excellent food at good prices. Minh, the owner is very friendly and cheerful, he speaks perfect English, and has a good knowledge of the area. The rooms are spacious and clean, the showers provided hot water and are equally spacious. If we do come back to Luang Prabang we would definately come back to stay here a well recommended place to stay.

Room Tip: I would imagine all the rooms are good as the Guest House is in a quiet area
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

This guesthouse is definitely overpriced and significantly overrated for the condition offered. $20 for a single bedroom and $25 for a double bedroom with air conditioning, compared to the average price in the town of $13 to $15 for a double bedroom with air conditioning. The toilet and the open plan shower facility are quite bad. There is no fan in the toilet and the window of toilet was very tiny. Water is easily built up on the toilet floor after a shower. No hot water was available for a shower in my room before 9 am. I suppose this might be due to the fact that many people took a shower in the morning. The hot water became available after 9 am in my room but the amount was very small and could be easily diluted by a larger amount of cold water. Finally, I had to keep the total water flow very small and could not have a clean wash of my body during my whole period of stay. However, a girl met in the guesthouse said the shower in her room was okay when I asked her.

The ventilation and lightening in the room is very bad, too. The window of the room is made of wood rather than glass so you cannot see outside. The window cannot be opened. There is always an odour in the room. I also went into a double bedroom to have a check. The room was spacious but smell was very bad, too.

The acoustic insulation was bad, too. The music played by the neighbour next door could be heard clearly in the room.

The Vietnamese owner stays and sleeps in the reception for 24 hours. His English is not good. Sometimes, he is even a bit rude. For example, he very unpleasantly questioned me why I was still looking for accommodation when I read a travel guidebook in the common area. He also required everyone to take off the footwear inside the house, even though as mentioned above, the toilet floor was so wet that one cannot stand on it with bare feet. He even shouted to me when I forgot to take my slippers off after coming back from the front yard of the house.

The location of the guesthouse is not ideal, either. It is not in the town center or along the Mekong River. Most tourists would not come to this side of the town if they did not book this accommodation online beforehand, as there are plenty of choices in a better location and with a cheaper price in the town.

Overall, I believe this guesthouse is significantly overrated and overpriced. I booked it on internet in advance. As it had a good rating, I accepted the higher price compared to the average offered in the town. However, the stay definitely disappointed me when i was there. The house condition is at most at the average level in the town, although the price is 50% higher than those with the same house condition and an even better location.

The last comment is that the air conditioning does not have the function of heating, even though it is very cold over the night and in the early morning. The lowest temperature was 8 Celsius degrees when I was there in December. Therefore, there was in fact no need to have a room with air conditioning in this season. A double bedroom with fan facilities costs only $10 to £12 in the town.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Paul J
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

Minh, the guy guy on the front desk has an amazing atittude and hes is aleays eager to help you. Rooms are nice and clean. Close to city center (5min walk) and to all the main atractions. Definetly a yes.
Gonzalo.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed for three nights at liberty guest house. The rooms are clean, big (ample room for two people with 2 big backpacks, 2 small backpacks.) The bathroom was clean and also spacious. However, the shower has no curtain/ door. This meant that the rest of the bathroom got soaked each time we had a shower. Not a big problem.

The owner, Minh was very friendly and extremely helpful. He made us feel welcome and gave advice on attractions, local life and restaurants. The guesthouse also offers plenty of services including laundry, tour bookings and bike hire. We took advantage of the laundry which was cheap (approx $1.50 per kg) and was the best smelling laundry we have experienced in south east Asia.

The location is slightly out of the main town (approx 15min walk). We didnt find this a problem at all. However if you do, renting a bike can solve it easily.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple