There are a few disappointing reviews for this hotel, and I’m not sure why: perhaps the other reviewers paid more than we did. We got a very good deal direct from the hotel’s website, which included breakfast every day, and an evening meal one night.
Some people have said that they’re surprised that it’s part of the Banyan Tree group, but it is part of the more downmarket “Colours of Angsana” brand: it’s like comparing an InterContinental to a Holiday Inn.
The hotel was in a good location: it was right on the edge of town, but that means it’s five minutes’ walk from the town centre – Luang Prabang is very small.
Pick-up from the airport was friendly and efficient. Check-in was easy, and the staff were friendly and helpful.
The room wasn’t huge, but it was big enough. And it had a lovely big balcony. The bathroom decor may have been a good idea at the time (although I can't think when), but it’s frankly rather Trading Spaces / Changing Rooms. The shower screen is orange perspex. Orange! And the sink is orange plastic. Orange again! Ugh. The bed was comfortable, and there were lots of TV channels: I do find too few TV channels is a common failing in hotels where I’m planning to do as little as possible, so this was a good thing.
Again, the pool wasn’t massive, but it was big enough, and there was enough shade. The food was lovely: our free “Lao speciality meal” was delicious, and the buffalo steak baguettes by the pool were great.
All in all, I’d say the staff were very friendly and helpful, the room and pool were good, and the food was lovely. The location was good too. If you can get a good deal (sub US$100 or so), this is a very good hotel for the money.
And Luang Prabang was great. People were friendly; the food was great; the buildings were lovely; and we didn’t get any of the hassle that you get in some other cities in the region. It’s not an exciting place, but it is beautiful, and for a week of relaxing, it’s brilliant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel by Angsana is a boutique luxury hotel in the heart of Luang Prabang, Laos. It's the perfect retreat for the modern traveller seeking style and authenticity. Once the residence of the late Prince Souvanna Phouma, the mansion is an elegant blend of French colonial architecture and Lao motifs with the addition of all the modern comforts. The hotel is an 8-minute walk to the town centre - close the sights, night market, restaurants, bars and river, but away from the bustle and noise. Cool off in the pool, enjoy a drink in the garden, or unwind at the Angsana Spa after a long day of sightseeing. Our attentive staff are always on hand to meet your every need with warm, personalized service. The rooms and grounds are designed to be your home away from home. Maison Souvannaphoum is your private oasis. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maison Souvannaphoum Luang Prabang
- Hotel Maison Souvannaphoum