The service is what makes almost every hotel in Luang Prabang outstanding. The people are so polite and gentle. The service here is excellent, but it is equally excellent elsewhere.
The Maison is quite tired and almost run-down. Mold/mildew grows in the cracks of its bathrooms, and the linen and towels are quite worn. Bicycles are complimentary for your first 3 hours, but these old bikes are so rusted and in such bad shape, that when we rode them to visit another hotel, the other hotel staff were shocked and laughing at the condition of these bikes, much worse than their brand new ones - and their hotel was less than 2/3 the price of the Maison. The Maison then proceeded to charge us for using the bikes beyond the 3 hours, where most other hotels do not.
The Maison does have a swimming pool, but it is just about the smallest, least-frequently cleaned swimming pool I have ever seen, especially for a hotel. We could not see to the bottom of it, the water was so foggy. Breakfast was decent and cozy. There is wifi in the lobby, but to use their computer you must pay, and there is no internet in the rooms.
Mostly, the Maison just seems to have added a few more doors and locks and a lobby to convert this old mansion into a boutique hotel, and did little more than that. It is charming and cozy and of course the staff is wonderful, but for overall value and quality, it is overpriced in my opinion, compared to other hotels in the $130-150 range I have stayed at.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel by Angsana is a boutique luxury hotel in the heart of Luang Prabang, Laos. It's the perfect retreat for the modern traveller seeking style and authenticity. Once the residence of the late Prince Souvanna Phouma, the mansion is an elegant blend of French colonial architecture and Lao motifs with the addition of all the modern comforts. The hotel is an 8-minute walk to the town centre - close the sights, night market, restaurants, bars and river, but away from the bustle and noise. Cool off in the pool, enjoy a drink in the garden, or unwind at the Angsana Spa after a long day of sightseeing. Our attentive staff are always on hand to meet your every need with warm, personalized service. The rooms and grounds are designed to be your home away from home. Maison Souvannaphoum is your private oasis. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maison Souvannaphoum Luang Prabang
- Hotel Maison Souvannaphoum