“colonial haven in LP.”

Ranked #6 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“colonial haven in LP.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

A beautiful property right on the edge of Luang Prabang. We stayed in a garden view room which provided all necessities you might expect from this standard of hotel although the sink and toilet are set somewhat lower to the ground than your average westerners might expect! Breakfast is excellent and the choice of food is in keeping with the number of guests. Evening dinner is also of a very high standard.Spa treatments were excellent.
All the staff tried extremely hard to ensure a pleasurable stay and are clearly being lead by a manager (Serge) who not only answered a number of emails prior to our arrival but also met us on arrival. His hands on but unobtrusive style is to be commended.
I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear steve e,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback and for having taken the time to share your review.

We are really glad to learn that your recent stay with us was an enjoyable experience. I am really pleased also that the arrangements we had made prior to arrival did work out to your full satisfaction and hope you have been able to take with you some lasting memories.

Your kind words for the team certainly made everyone proud and especially our SPA therapists were very happy to have received such high praise in your review. On behalf of all of us here at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel – thank you for your encouragement.

steve e, I truly hope you will be able to travel to this wonderful part of the world again in the future and we would be delighted to welcoming you back on such occasion.

In the meantime I wish you a good day and all the very best!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

We were booked into this hotel by a travel specialist who claimed it was a 5 star hotel . It is a nice hotel but not 5 star. We stayed in the Laos Room and street noise woke us up at 4 am. It was a cold night and there was no heat in the room. The room temperature was in the high 40 degrees F. They offered more blankets but no room heaters existed. Blankets were available for breakfast. Again no heat . If you want luxury accommodations this is not the hotel for you.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Mr. P
Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Mr. P.

I trust you have had a smooth and uneventful journey back to the USA.

Thank you for having taken the time to share your review here on TripAdvisor.

It was with great concern and regret that I took note of your comments and remarks. Allow me to first and foremost extend my unreserved apologies for any disappointment or discomfort caused to you during your recent overnight stay at Maison Souvannaphoum.

It is true that Luang Prabang was experiencing a period of unusually low temperatures which took everyone rather by surprise. I am very sorry that the extra duvets and blankets did not provide the desired comfort. Those cold days are now fortunately gone and we are enjoying the mild and for this time of the year more typical conditions.

Also I was very sorry to read that you were woken up by noise at 4am especially as you were staying in our Lao Room which is facing the pool side rather than the city side.

I was certainly able to appreciate your evaluation on classification and category of our accommodation and I have been in contact with your agent over this matter immediately. Please trust that the way we promote and advertise our accommodation is by no means intended to be misleading or opaque in any way or manner.

Please trust that we are all fully committed to converting comments such as the one we have received from your good self into positive actions and improvements.

Once again Mr. P. thank you for your time and consideration. I wish we would have the opportunity to make up for a less than satisfying experience in the future.

Have a good day and all the best.

Best regards
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Really lovely hotel. On the outside edge of the old town but easy walking to markets, with the advantage of no noise. Lovely gardens and outlook of tropical plants, rooms are modern colonial style with balcony. Contrary to fears we found there was no road noise. Staff were exceptional with very good English , different from other hotels. Food we found the best in Laos. Complimentary activities needed to be booked. Great place to relax after a days touring. All staff greeted us very warmly

Room Tip: Having a room away from the front main road will reduce noise.
1 Thank FullTime_traveller9
Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear FullTime_traveller9,

I trust you have had exciting onward travels and eventually a smooth and uneventful journey back to the U.K.

Thank you very much for kindly having taken the time to reflect on your recent stay with us and for sharing your review here on TripAdvisor.

Needless to say that I was absolutely delighted to learn that your stay with us was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Your kind word on the team has reminded me yet again just how privileged I am to have such wonderful and genuinely friendly people working with me here at Maison Souvannaphoum. I have not missed to share your kind praise with them and it certainly made everyone really proud.

My Chef and his team were particularly pleased to have been highlighted by your good self and we shall keep working on a tasty and attractive food and beverage offer at our restaurant.

FullTime_traveller9, once again, thank you for having selected Maison Souvannaphoum as your preferred hotel for your sojourn to Luang Prabang and we hope to be able to welcoming you back soon.

In the meantime I wish you happy travels and all the very best!

Birmingham England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

Stayed here during January in a garden wing room reasonable size with a nice balcony overlooking the swimming pool but unfortunately we were woken every morning at 5am with traffic and drumming noises coming from the road at the front of our room.
The location is excellent only 10mins walk to night market and town centre.
The staff were amazing very helpful and courteous nothing was to much trouble for them.
We felt the breakfast choice was a little bit limited and as it was served in an open sided dining room was a bit chilly even though we were offered blankets.
We would definitely stay here again but probably a little later in the year and would take some ear plugs with us!

Dear cityhooper20,

First and foremost I would like to thank you for kindly having taken the time to share your review with us and fellow travelers here on TripAdvisor.

I am really sorry to hear that you were woken up by noises from the surroundings early in the morning. The drumming noises that you have mentioned did actually come from the close by “Wat That Noi Temple” as the monks occasionally use drums to call for morning prayers. Nevertheless, I do certainly understand the inconveniences this may have caused to you and would therefore like to express my regret yet again.

On the other hand, I am really glad to learn that you found our location to be excellent and our team to have contributed to an overall pleasant stay. Thank you for your kind words of praise in this regard!

We would certainly be delighted to be of service to you again when you may return to this wonderful part of the world and please do not hesitate to contact me directly – I would be pleased to assist with arrangements.

In the meantime, I wish you a good time and all the best.

canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

My husband and I spent 5 days at Maison in the first half of January. Even from before arriving we knew our stay would be excellent as our inquiries were answered promptly giving us all the information we required. The staff work hard to make you feel welcome, well taken care of and at home. A very special thank you to the manager Serge and to Audrey who both went out of their way to ensure that our stay was delightful! The hotel is run in an extremely professional and elegant manner. The rooms are lovely, the pool is a peaceful, refreshing and beautiful area to relax, the breakfasts and special dinner featuring traditional dance from Laos was delicious and fun, and tours arranged to Elephant village, the falls and boat ride on the Mekong were all excellent!! The hotel is in a perfect location to walk or cycle into town and the hotel provides bikes. This is the perfect place to stay in Luang Prabang! Maison has character and soul..... we hope to return soon!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear CanadaAnnie,

I trust you have had a smooth and uneventful journey back to Canada.

It was a real pleasure to have made your acquaintance during your recent stay with us at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel. I have read your TripAdvisor review with much interest and joy and would like to thank you for your kind words of encouragement and praise. I have certainly not missed to share your feedback with the team.

I am glad to note that you have had an overall really nice time here in Luang Prabang and it gives all of us here at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel a true feeling of accomplishment to have been able to contribute to this.

Once again, thank you very much for having selected “Maison” as your preferred address in Luang Prabang and we look forward to welcoming you back!

In the meantime, I would like to wish you a good day and all the very best.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

A well run hotel with exceptionally helpful and well trained staff. The garden rooms were fine, although not outstanding. They had everything we needed. The location is great. An easy walk into town and central for everything. The only drawback was the dining terrace. It was. The only dining area and in the recent (apparently unusual?) cold weather it was freezing. We ate every breakfast and one dinner(good food), in jackets and scarves. They do provide blankets! Surely they could have detachable sliding glass windows around the terrace. We saw them on other houses in the town.

Would certainly recommend the hotel.

Dear bedfordpark,

Thank you very much for your review which I have read with much interest.

We do indeed remember the unusually cold mornings that were experienced across the region and are really happy that the weather is now much milder and rather typical for this season. My unreserved apologies for any inconveniences caused whilst dining with us. Your constructive feedback with regards to enclosing the dining area has certainly been noted and much appreciated.

On the other hand, I was delighted to read your positive feedback on the quality of service rendered during your stay with us. Also I am glad to learn that you found the location of Maison Souvannaphoum to be of much convenience to you.

Once again bedfordpark, thank you very much for kindly having taken the time to reflect on your recent stay and for sharing your impressions with us and fellow travelers.

We would be delighted to be of service to you again in the future and look forward to welcoming you back.

Wishing you a good day and all the very best,

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Luang Prabang is a marvellous place to spend a few peaceful days and Maison Souvannaphoum is just the right place to stay there. The Maison certainly does have that colonial charm. A great advantage over the flashier resort hotels that have appeared recently is that it is right on the edge of the town centre. As others have mentioned, the staff are terrific and really keen to make sure you have a good time. Everybody is truly friendly (a special mention for Tom). Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JeremyandAnna,

Thank you for sharing your review here on TripAdvisor.

It is great to learn that you have been able to enjoy the colonial charm of Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel.
Thank you also very much for your kind words of praise for the team. I am really pleased to know that we have been able to contribute to a comfortable sojourn in Luang Prabang. Please trust that I am certainly not taking it for granted to have the privilege of working with this group of genuinely friendly and joyful young people. I am truly proud of the crew here and your kind encouragement has been conveyed to my team. Once again thank you very much for your time and consideration and for providing us with your positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back hopefully soon and in the meantime, I wish you a good day and all the best!

Segre Ditesheim