“Superb hotel.”

Ranked #6 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Bangkok, Thailand
“Superb hotel.”
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful vintage hotel. Small and charming, reasonably priced and with really excellent service. Easy walking distance of the town centre, but in a quiet area. Great food, and well organised. What more can I say?

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear honzad88,

Thank you yet again for sharing your impressions of Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel here on TripAdvisor.

I am really glad to know that you were overall delighted with the location of our hotel as well as with the services rendered to your good self. We very much hope that you are already planning your next visit to Luang Prabang on which occasion we would certainly love to welcome you back!

Until then, I wish you a good day and all the very best.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Amsterdam
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Hotel is walking distance to the night market...to almost everything actually. We stayed for 3 nights and actually did not want to leave. Luang Prabang is amazing; it is very friendly, lots of things to see and great food! The hotel itself is expensive but very nice; the building but most of all the people working there. Staff at the hotel is really amazing; Audrey was at the reception when we arrived and made us feel very welcome! Also staff at the pool and restaurant are very nice and like to chat with you (if you like that as well). They all speak english and give you all the information and assistance you need. The hotel offers bikes to go around the city. We went to the waterfalls, which was a great cycling tour for half a day or so (depending on how many stops you make and how long you want to stay at the waterfalls).
Definitely a place to visit again, both the hotel and Luang Prabang!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Ayeayeay,

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions of your recent sojourn here on TripAdvisor.

We are absolutely delighted to learn that you have had an overall excellent time in Luang Prabang. I am really glad that the Maison Souvannaphoum team has been able to contribute to making your visit to this wonderful part of the world a memorable experience. Thank you so much for your kind words of praise for the team. Please trust that I am fully aware just how privileged and lucky I am to be running this place together with this group of genuinely friendly and keen young people. I have certainly not missed to convey your encouraging comments to all my colleagues here.

Once again – thank you very much for your time and consideration and for providing us with your feedback.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to Maison hopefully soon and in the meantime, I would like to wish you a good day and all the very best!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2014

On the positive side, the rooms are very high quality and the showers are excellent (seriously hot water for once in Laos!). The service is also excellent, and the breakfast is good. The location is good---a 15 minute walk from the center of town.

On the negative side, the hotel is beside a major road, which generates some noise. Also the hotel has no heating, which is a little surprising given the prices it charges. (As for most of the other hotels at which we stayed in Laos, the restaurant is outside, making for some pretty uncomfortable breakfasts in late December.)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear MartinJOsborne,

I trust you have had a smooth and uneventful journey back to Canada.

Please allow me to take this opportunity to first and foremost thank you for having selected Maison Souvannaphoum as your hotel of choice for your recent vacation in Luang Prabang. Thank you also for kindly having taken the time to share your review which I have read with great interest.

I am glad to know that you found our rooms, showers as well as our breakfast and service levels to be of good quality. Also, it is good to learn that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location close to the center of town.

On the other hand, I have duly taken note of your remarks regarding the discomfort caused during those recent, cold December nights and mornings. We have indeed experienced temperatures that were unusually low even for this time of the year and we tried our level best to cope with this situation by providing extra duvets in our guest rooms as well as pic-nic blankets at breakfast. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to your good self due the circumstances.
On the lighter side we are certainly happy that the mild and pleasant temperatures typically to be expected during this time of the year are back now.

MartinJOsborne, once again thank you very much for your time and consideration and for providing us with your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future and in the meantime I wish you all the very best.

Singapore
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I was in Luang Prabang in Dec 2013. I booked this hotel based on some reviews I had read here on TripAdvisor. Sure enough, everything I read was spot on. This is an absolute gem. The room was spectacular and meticulous. Serge (the hotel manager) and his staff served me like royalty. It is one of the better properties in Luang Prabang (I would put it second only to La Residence Phou Vao -- but that property is double the price of Maison). Trust me, stay here, and you will not go wrong. I am an extensive traveler and have stayed in some very nice hotels, so I do know what I am talking about.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

Dear Drsangt,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to post your review here on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to learn that you have throughout been delighted with your stay with us at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel. I have shared your encouraging feedback with my team as it is really them who merit your kind praise. Please trust that we are fully committed to making Maison Souvannaphoum a more enjoyable and pleasant place every day and in any way we can and shall keep improving on our facilities and the services rendered.

We would certainly be delighted to provide you with yet another comfortable stay when you may return to Luang Prabang.

In the meantime, I would like to wish you a good day and all the very best.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Came to this hotel due to raving reviews here on Trip Advisor, but quite disappointed about many things for a hotel that charges over US$300 per night on peak season.

First of all foreign staff is not friendly at all, don't think they are happy to be there, sure doesn't seem so. Fully understand the Alms-giving ceremony is something being spoiled by the huge amount of tourists, but they shouldn't try to talk you out of not going to what was for me the highlight of my visit there, as they did, instead they should give you tips on how to best enjoy it (see my review on things to do in Luang Prabang).

Another major thing that made my stay highly uncomfortable was lack of heating in the rooms. I fully understand that the cold season in LP is not long, but for charging what they charge, have the rooms at 13-15C during the night is not acceptable, and hotel has no portable heaters to share, which is the minimum they shoud do.

Lastly on the cons, the breakfast is completely under standard for a hotel that thinks they have the caliber they think they have, with extremely limited choice.

On the positive, location is good on the main street but a few minutes away from the noisy road, and decoration is very beautiful.

You can definitely find something better in LP, avoid this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brazuca00
Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Brazuca00,

Thank you for having taken the time to reflect on your recent stay with us.

Being rated “terrible” is certainly disheartening and of utmost concern to the management of Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel.
We are fully committed to making our establishment a more enjoyable and pleasant place on a daily basis and I have therefore very much been able to appreciate your remarks.

Please allow me to first and foremost express my sincere regret for not having been able to meet your expectations on the occasion of your recent sojourn in Luang Prabang. I have duly noted your disappointment with the ambient temperature in your room as well as our breakfast spread.

The temperatures this past December were indeed unusually low and we tried our level best to cope with this situation by providing extra blankets and duvets. I would like to apologize if the availability of such was not correctly communicated to your good self. We are all glad that those cold days are now gone and that the weather conditions have gone back to “normal” for this time of the year.

We are going to welcome a new Chef to our team this coming week and I will discuss the breakfast spread together with him. Your comments shall certainly be taken into due consideration. Once again – my sincere apologies for any disappointment and inconvenience caused to you.

With regards to the morning alms-giving ceremony, please trust that it is not our intention to discourage our guests from going to see this beautiful tradition. I apologize on behalf of my team if this impression has been evoked in any way or manner.

On the more positive side I thank you for commenting on our decoration and I am really glad you enjoyed the convenient location of Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel.

Brazuca00, we would certainly be delighted to be able to provide you with an overall much more enjoyable stay in the future and wish we would have the opportunity to make up for a marred experience.

Once again, thank you for your time and consideration and for providing us with your feedback.

I wish you a good day and all the very best.

Warminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2013

As we had never been to Luang Prabang before, we relied heavily on TA for hotel and restaurant recommendations. It is difficult to get an impression of distances and layouts from the web and I admit that this hotel was our second choice. Our first choice I thought was in a better location with better reviews but it was fully booked.

Looking back on our 4 days in Luang Prabang, I am glad our first choice was fully booked. We had a wonderful stay in Hotel Maison Souvannaphoum. The location is perfect. It is a short gentle stroll into the main area of the town yet far enough out not to be affected by the noise. The rooms are spacious, well appointed and clean. The garden has a calming & relaxing ambience and the food in the restaurant - we ate dinner there one evening - was tasty and well presented. However, it is always the attitude of the staff which make or break our appreciation of a hotel. Here all the staff, from housekeeping through to reception, were delightful and they could not do enough for us. No request was too difficult for them and it was all done with a smile. Although the Lao people are naturally friendly and welcoming, there is no doubt that they are expertly led by their senior management team.

This is a small relaxing hotel, superbly located and managed, with extremely well-trained staff. If we ever found ourselves back in Luang Prabang, I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Bob W,

First and foremost I would like to wish you a happy new year.

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your review with us and fellow travelers here on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to learn that you thought to have made the right choice with booking Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel. I have not missed to share your kind feedback with my team as it really is my staff who merits the praise. I was also very happy to have read that you found everyone at our hotel to have rendered delightful and considerate service. Once again – thank you very much.

Please trust that we shall make every effort to relentlessly upkeep and improve on our services and facilities again in 2014.

Bob W, we very much hope that you may be able to travel to this wonderful part of the world again in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back to Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel.

In the meantime, I wish you a good day and all the very best!

Sacramento
Reviewed December 18, 2013

First visit to Laos. This hotel was lovely, staff gracious, helpful and very courteous. Had dinner several times-food/service was excellent.
Very clean and well maintained. Great gift shop!
I would highly recommend this hotel, as the location is excellent-5-10" to center of town.
Very interesting city with lots to do and night market always fun.
Purchased good wines at a wine store nearby & they served it with our meal at hotel-no problem.
Laos is famous for its beer, Also, the Laos coffee from plantations in the south, is excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear Zebra70,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for having selected Maison Souvannaphoum as your preferred hotel for your recent visit to Luang Prabang.

Your kind words of praise have been conveyed to my team here and your feedback certainly made everyone very proud. I am happy to learn that we have been able to contribute to an overall memorable first visit to Laos and hope that you may be traveling to this wonderful part of the world again soon. It would certainly be delightful to welcoming you back to Maison Souvannaphoum on this occasion!

In the meantime, I wish you a good day and all the very best for the new year!