“Paradise in Luang Prabang”

Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel
Ranked #6 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
A TripAdvisor Member
“Paradise in Luang Prabang”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and 17 year old daughter recently had the pleasure of staying at the Maison Souvannaphoum hotel in Luang Prabang, Laos. From the moment that hotel manager Serge and his team met us in reception to our farewell three days later, we were made to feel like very special and honored guests. The hotel's facilities are outstanding, the service from every member of the team was exemplary and the food and beverages wonderful. The rooms, gardens and pool area are a tropical paradise within what is a magnificent world heritage listed town. Our stay at this hotel was definitely one of the highlights of our trip to Laos.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for kindly having taken the time to reflect on your recent stay with us and for sharing your review here on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to learn that you were fully satisfied with our facilities and would like to, on behalf of my team here, thank you for your kind praise. My two gardeners were really happy that you did like our grounds – they do put in a lot of work and effort to keep our landscaping lush and neat.
Once again, thank you for your encouraging feedback and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to “Maison” hopefully soon.

In the meantime, I would like to wish you and your family a good day and all the best.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Shellharbour, Australia
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My family and I spent 4 nights at the Maison Souvannaphoum at the end of June 2013.
We were greeted at the airport by Serge (Hotel Manager) who accompanied us on the short trip to the hotel. The hotel itself really is a piece of old world charm.
The staff were very friendly welcoming.
Our suite (Champa suite) was spacious and clean. After realising there was a problem with the airconditioning in our suite we were immediately upgraded to the Lao suite (the bedroom of a former prince). The room was fantastic.
The service was exceptional.
Talking to Buddy (the in-house pet bird) became the highlight of my 2 year old sons morning.
Serge was extremely helpful and gave great advice on where to go and what to see.
I would like to make special mention of Yia who works in the hotel. He has a wonderful manner and the pride he has in his job is wonderful to see. My 12 year old son loved the short conversations we had with him as stories gave us a realistic insight into life in Laos.
We will be visiting Luang Praband again and will definately stay at Maison Souvannaphoum.
Thank you to Serge and your staff for making Luang Prabang the highlight of our holiday.

Brent, Kelly, Nate & Chase.

Room Tip: I'll be booking the Lao Suite again on my next visit.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Brent M,

It was great to have you and the family staying with us and I trust you have had a smooth and uneventful journey back to Australia.

Please accept my sincere apologies yet again for the malfunctioning A/C in your room. I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused and am glad that you did enjoy the Lao Suite that was provided as a backup for you.

Thank you very much for your kind words for my staff here at Maison Souvannaphoum. I am truly blessed with a great team and am very proud of them. I would like assure you that I have shared this review with Mr. Yia who is in fact one of our youngest members of our team and he was very happy to have received such kind praise from your good self.

It would be a great pleasure to welcoming you back on your next visit to Luang Prabang and the boys would probably be delighted to find out that “Buddy” now has a mate called “Coco”.

Have a good day and all the very best!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Peto greeted us at the airport with cold towels and chilled water. The Reception staff were just lovely and our rooms were beautiful....complete with a postcard from Serge the Manager welcoming us & a lovely Welcome Home message on our bed - very special. The staff here are outstanding and Yia made great Mai Tai's and provided us with delicious fried mushrooms poolside each evening. Excellent location, just a short walk to the town centre. Be sure to visit the Elephant Village for the mahout experience - truly memorable. Thank you to Serge and his staff for an absolutely wonderful stay - a real piece of paradise.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Michelle W,

Greetings from Maison Souvannaphoum.

We were absolutely delighted to read your review here on Tripadvsior and are very thankful you have kindly taken the time to share your impressions with us and fellow travelers.

Your review has made everyone at Maison really proud and especially Yia was very happy to have been mentioned personally by your good self. Also on Yia’s behalf – thank you very much. I am glad you enjoyed your Mahout experience at the Elephant Village, it is an excellent and fun activity indeed.

Michelle W, please trust that we shall not rest on our laurels now so that we can present a more pleasant and enjoyable Maison Souvannaphoum when you may visit us again in the future. We would certainly be delighted to be of service to you again soon.

In the meantime, I would like to wish you a good day and all the very best!

Vigo, Spain
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I've just spend a week in Luang Prabang at the Maison Souvannanphoum hotel, the rooms are beautifull, as it is the building, the swimming pool is great even in the rainny season, wonderful breakfast, and the best the incredible staff, making you feel wellcome and at home. I hope I'll be Abel to go back soon.

Room Tip: The room with the garden view is perfect.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear TriplemHA,

Thank you very much for posting your review which we have read with great interest and joy!

We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed the services rendered as well as Maison’s facilities. Especially your kind praise for our staff has been very well received. On behalf of my team – thank you very much for your encouragement.

We look forward to welcoming you back and in the meantime, I would like to wish you a good time and happy travels.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

All we can do is reiterate the comments of previous visitors to this hotel, the location is in the 'Goldilocks' zone, just right for a gentle (flat) stroll into the town and back again, to attempt to walk off a meal from any one of the excellent restaurants there! It is indeed an oasis of cool tranquility after the bustle of the night market. We, also, were met by Serge, the hotel manager, on arrival , and this small but thoughtful touch set the mood for the next three days, an efficiently run hotel with staff who were always there if you need them without being intrusive. They organised drivers for us on two occasions, ensuring the drivers knew exactly what we wanted, and all went to plan - the caves, and especially the waterfalls, are to be recommended.

Our room at the hotel was of reasonable size and kept spotlessly clean, the balcony had an overhead fan and was a perfect place to sit with a pre-dinner drink in the peaceful garden surroundings. I got the strong impression that the staff were all very proud of their hotel and happy to be there, and appreciated any compliments we made about the hotel.

One regret - we only had three full days there - should have booked for longer - never mind, it gives us an excuse to return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear PatB,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your feedback with us and fellow travelers here on Tripadvisor. I have share your review with the team during our daily briefing and your encouragement has certainly made everyone very proud. On behalf of the Maison Souvannaphoum Team – thank you very much.

I would like to assure you that we shall waste no time resting on our laurels now and are fully committed to making “Maison” a more comfortable and enjoyable place on a daily basis. Nevertheless I am delighted to learn that you did indeed have a great time here in Luang Prabang and that we were able to contribute to a memorable traveling experience.

We truly hope that your travels may take you to this wonderful part of the world again soon and I would be delighted to welcoming you back to Maison Souvannaphoum on such occasion.

In the meantime, I wish you a good time and all the very best.

Brighouse, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

this was a great choice , close to the night market and the many temples and Wots in Luang Prabang .. withing very easy walking or a short cycle ride down to the river front for the local restaurants .. The facilities at the hotel were great as were the helpful staff and manager

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Walter2000uk,

I did read you review here on Tripadvisor with great joy. We are glad to know that you did enjoy the convenient location of Maison Souvannaphoum as well as the facilities and services we provided you with during your stay. Thank you for your most encouraging feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back hopefully soon and in the meantime, wish you a good day!

Regards
Ontario
Reviewed June 25, 2013

After a dreadful experience at another hotel in Luang Prabang checking in at this hotel was heaven. I wish I had booked here in the first place. The location is perfect for walking to town, you can go in wander around then return to the hotel for a swim and/or siesta. The front desk staff were delightful, they spoke very good English, and were professional at all times. The room was divine, the a/c was efficient and with the mercury hovering at 40 degrees C. that is crucial. The pool area was clean, again the staff were lovely. Used the spa on several occasions, the area is clean, the therapist is good and the extra treats were appreciated. The manager is visible at the hotel, very personable, he knows what travelers are expecting; this hotel certainly delivers first class service.
Based on my experience I only have positive comments to make about this hotel and would certainly stay there again. Oh yes, and the food is superb.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Victoria14
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Victoria14,

Greetings from Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel.

It was a great pleasure having you here with us and I am pleased to know we were able to contribute to an enjoyable stay in Luang Prabang.
Your kind comments on our services and facilities have been very well received by the entire team and have certainly made everyone really proud.

As much as we appreciate such wonderful feedback and encouragement, I would like to assure you that we shall not rest on our laurels and not spare any effort to make Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel a more enjoyable and peasant place.

Once again Victoria14, thank you for your time and for providing us with your feedback here on tripadvisor.

I truly hope we will be able to welcome you back soon and in the meantime I wish you a good day and all the very best!

Regards