“Fabulous hotel great staff”

Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel
Ranked #6 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Lake Country, Canada
“Fabulous hotel great staff”
Reviewed June 4, 2008

I have read the other reviews of this hotel and I don't think they stayed at the same hotel we did. We had a wonderful time. The staff were great, the room was excellent, the balcony was huge, lots of large wicker furniture with soft cushions, a view over the pool and the well maintained gardens. Breakfast was great, lots of choices and an egg station where the cook could whip up eggs any way you like. The decor in the room was beautiful with a canopy over the bed and art objects on the walls and around the room. Yes the bathroom had a shower only and water did tend to get all over but you stood on two lage flat concrete slabs not on the stones which surrounded the slabs. We enjoyed it so I do not know why others seemed to have a problem. Yes it was expensive compared to other hotels in Laos, Cambodia or Thailand. We were there during the new years celebrations, so it was high season. The pool was great lots of loungers and fresh towels placed on each lounger. The pool was quite large enough for a 25 room hotel. We always found loungers available. Every time we travel in southeast asia we take mosquito coils and use them on the terrace or balcony. We lit them on our first evening. The next evening the lady that provided the evening turn down service had got more and when we returned from dinner in town we found she had them burning on the balcony to keep any bugs away so we could enjoy our late night cocktails on the balcony bug free. She also brought a silver bucket of ice cubes for your room and lighted a candle under scented oil so when you opened your door there was a lovely smell of flowers in your room. We thought the price was worth every penny we spent. As far as the one dollar charge per night for the hotels conservation program it is strictly voluntary. If you do not wnat to contribute just tell them. All in all we had a wonderful time and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — gardens and pool and the man at the gate that saluted you every time you left or returned
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank coldy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 28, 2008

Maison Souvannaphoum may be one of the best 2 or 3 hotels in Luang Prabang. The location is close to the main street, the night market, the temples, the Mekong River and other attractions.The place itself is really nice. The rooms are tastily decorated and the beds are very comfortable. The bathrooms are modern, creative and colorful.
The staff is generally helpful and friendly.
The Spa rates and the store prices are much higher than other places in town though.
Generally, it is a very nice place but pretty expensive as well. I am not sure it is really worth paying that much, since you can find other options at lower rates in LPB.
Next time I will try something less expensive there!

• Liked — Bedroom is nice. Good Bfast.
  • Disliked — Overpriced.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank charlie15
UK
Reviewed April 22, 2008

We stayed at the Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel for 4 nights in March. We absolutely loved this hotel. The hotel is quite small (only 20 odd rooms) but the staff were excellent and couldn't do enough for you - what you would expect from a large 5 star hotel. The rooms were a good size and clean although the bathroom is a bit weird - there is a hole cut out of the wall next to the shower (there is no bath) so when you use the shower the water goes all over the toilet. The selection at breakfast was very good. The hotel is in a really good location - just at the end of the main street - about a 5 minute walk to the night market/bars and restaurants.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Preston, Lancashire
Reviewed March 30, 2008

Spent 3 nights at the hotel in March. Located at the opposite end from the old town so it's quite a walk if you want to spend time there.

Externally and inside the reception area, it's all very attractive. Reception staff polite and helpful.

We were given a garden view room on the ground floor with its own balcony. Rooms of a modest size but attractively decorated in contemporary style. All the usual facilities.

Bathroom a bit strange. Shower area has flat stones and pebbles for a base that can't possibly be kept hygienically clean. Not very well laid out and for the size of the bathroom, wasn't really much room to move around. Cleanliness in the rooms generally 7/10 - could do a little better.

Breakfast is extensive with lots of choice on a self service basis. Pool area well laid out with drinks/food available if required. Pool could be a little cleaner. Breakfast/pool staff excellent.

Weather whilst we were there was very good but can imagine issues with lack of space in public areas in bad weather as reported in other reviews.

Didn’t use the spa facilities which are located in tents to the right as you approach the hotel. Appearance wouldn’t encourage me to use them.

Overall we were very satisfied. Staff polite throughout and availability of a pool is definitely a bonus. It's a bit pricy though and it is starting to need investment if it wants to keep is luxury status particularly with a number of new hotels being built in the town.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank T-SGlobetrotters
Alabama
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I want to tell you how disappointed I am in the Angsana Spa in Luang Prabang, Laos based on my visit on Friday, February 22nd, 2008. Now that I am back in the United States, I would like to tell you how angry I am.

On February 22nd, I came in around 5:00pm to get one of the most expensive packages. I had the 1 hour massage, the 1 hour facial and the 30 minute body polish. Upon arriving, I was impressed at the courtesy of the staff, as well as, the quickness that they were able to accomodate my needs. I was taken to an outside "make-shift" room that had 2 massage tables in it.

I was in the spa from 5:30pm until approximately 8:00pm. At one point of my massage, the massage therapist put a mask or something over my eyes. I didn't think anything of this as I thought this may be something that is done in your country. BY THE WAY, MY PURSE WAS JUST SITTING ON A CHAIR BEHIND THE MASSAGE TABLE.

Needless to say, I tipped this young lady $10.00 American Dollars (you do the conversion), which was a large tip by Lao standards. I left Angsana spa and grabbed a tuk tuk down to the night market of Luang Prabang.

WHEN I REACHED INTO MY PURSE TO PAY THE TUK TUK DRIVER, I HARDLY HAD ANY MONEY!!!! EVERY SINGLE $1.00 BILL I HAD IN MY PURSE HAD BEEN STOLEN. I had counted my money before going into the spa as I PAID CASH FOR MY SERVICES AT YOUR SPA.

Not only were all of my $1 bills stolen, but I had several $20.00, $10.00 and $5.00 bills stolen. This put me at a huge inconvenience as I know I had as many as forty $1 bills in my purse that I was going to use in the night market!

Because I was so upset and I had to leave Luang Prabang to catch a 7:00am cruise with LuangSay cruise (from Luang Prabang to Houei Say), I did not have an opportunity to file a police report. I did have the opportunity to tell every single person on the boat about my horrible experience with Angsana spa.

DO NOT GO TO THIS SPA! THEY HAVE SEVERAL LOCATIONS LOCATED AROUND THE WORLD! JUST WATCH YOUR STUFF!

JBW
Birmingham, Alabama
United States

Stayed February 2008
5 Thank jenniferbwest
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2008

The Maison claims to be a small luxury hotel. A claim based on former glories rather than current reality. In fact it is a large guest house with the inevitable spa which is badly let down by its Public Rooms or lack of them. The Bar area (4 high stools) is in the corner of the Dining Area. The Dining Area itself is on an open terrace: in bad weather, the terrace is curtained off to become an overcrowded unpleasant place made dangerous by the multiple fan heater cables snaking across the floor. There is nowhere to sit indoors before or after a meal unless you want to use one of the half a dozen seats in Reception. Other gripes include untreated mildew on the swimming pool tiles and an interesting practice whereby your bill is rendered in Kips but they insist that credit card payments are made in dollars at an exchange rate chosen by the Hotel. The Receptionist admitted that the practice was a rip off without any prompting from me. Avoid.

GRB

• Liked — Staff Courtesy
  • Disliked — No Public Rooms. Billing Rip Off
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BigG_And_JLo
Staffordshire
Reviewed January 2, 2008

We spent four days here as part of a 3 week trip to IndoChina, and it was a very enjoyable and relaxing experience. The hotel grounds and staff are lovely, and we had excellent service throughout our stay. The garden rooms are well appointed but small for the price, the smallest of all the hotel rooms we came across on our trip by some way. I agree with other reviewers that for the price/quality of the hotel, the breakfast choice is small and disappointing, although what there is is well presented and perfectly edible. The bathroom was a little shabby and as others have said, the shower does run all over the floor! Nice touches were the little gifts left on the bed each evening. Excellent local laundry places opposite which charge miniscule amounts for washing and ironing by the kilo - quick turnaround and highly recommended. Having since seen reviews of other locations on tripadvisor and in Lonely Planet, would not stay here if returning to Luang Prabang as could undoubtedly get better value for money elsewhere.

• Liked — Hotel personnel
  • Disliked — Size of room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple