“Generally good experience, a bit overpriced though!”

Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel
Ranked #6 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Generally good experience, a bit overpriced though!”
Reviewed April 28, 2008

Maison Souvannaphoum may be one of the best 2 or 3 hotels in Luang Prabang. The location is close to the main street, the night market, the temples, the Mekong River and other attractions.The place itself is really nice. The rooms are tastily decorated and the beds are very comfortable. The bathrooms are modern, creative and colorful.
The staff is generally helpful and friendly.
The Spa rates and the store prices are much higher than other places in town though.
Generally, it is a very nice place but pretty expensive as well. I am not sure it is really worth paying that much, since you can find other options at lower rates in LPB.
Next time I will try something less expensive there!

• Liked — Bedroom is nice. Good Bfast.
  • Disliked — Overpriced.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank charlie15

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
UK
Reviewed April 22, 2008

We stayed at the Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel for 4 nights in March. We absolutely loved this hotel. The hotel is quite small (only 20 odd rooms) but the staff were excellent and couldn't do enough for you - what you would expect from a large 5 star hotel. The rooms were a good size and clean although the bathroom is a bit weird - there is a hole cut out of the wall next to the shower (there is no bath) so when you use the shower the water goes all over the toilet. The selection at breakfast was very good. The hotel is in a really good location - just at the end of the main street - about a 5 minute walk to the night market/bars and restaurants.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Preston, Lancashire
Reviewed March 30, 2008

Spent 3 nights at the hotel in March. Located at the opposite end from the old town so it's quite a walk if you want to spend time there.

Externally and inside the reception area, it's all very attractive. Reception staff polite and helpful.

We were given a garden view room on the ground floor with its own balcony. Rooms of a modest size but attractively decorated in contemporary style. All the usual facilities.

Bathroom a bit strange. Shower area has flat stones and pebbles for a base that can't possibly be kept hygienically clean. Not very well laid out and for the size of the bathroom, wasn't really much room to move around. Cleanliness in the rooms generally 7/10 - could do a little better.

Breakfast is extensive with lots of choice on a self service basis. Pool area well laid out with drinks/food available if required. Pool could be a little cleaner. Breakfast/pool staff excellent.

Weather whilst we were there was very good but can imagine issues with lack of space in public areas in bad weather as reported in other reviews.

Didn’t use the spa facilities which are located in tents to the right as you approach the hotel. Appearance wouldn’t encourage me to use them.

Overall we were very satisfied. Staff polite throughout and availability of a pool is definitely a bonus. It's a bit pricy though and it is starting to need investment if it wants to keep is luxury status particularly with a number of new hotels being built in the town.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank T-SGlobetrotters
Alabama
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I want to tell you how disappointed I am in the Angsana Spa in Luang Prabang, Laos based on my visit on Friday, February 22nd, 2008. Now that I am back in the United States, I would like to tell you how angry I am.

On February 22nd, I came in around 5:00pm to get one of the most expensive packages. I had the 1 hour massage, the 1 hour facial and the 30 minute body polish. Upon arriving, I was impressed at the courtesy of the staff, as well as, the quickness that they were able to accomodate my needs. I was taken to an outside "make-shift" room that had 2 massage tables in it.

I was in the spa from 5:30pm until approximately 8:00pm. At one point of my massage, the massage therapist put a mask or something over my eyes. I didn't think anything of this as I thought this may be something that is done in your country. BY THE WAY, MY PURSE WAS JUST SITTING ON A CHAIR BEHIND THE MASSAGE TABLE.

Needless to say, I tipped this young lady $10.00 American Dollars (you do the conversion), which was a large tip by Lao standards. I left Angsana spa and grabbed a tuk tuk down to the night market of Luang Prabang.

WHEN I REACHED INTO MY PURSE TO PAY THE TUK TUK DRIVER, I HARDLY HAD ANY MONEY!!!! EVERY SINGLE $1.00 BILL I HAD IN MY PURSE HAD BEEN STOLEN. I had counted my money before going into the spa as I PAID CASH FOR MY SERVICES AT YOUR SPA.

Not only were all of my $1 bills stolen, but I had several $20.00, $10.00 and $5.00 bills stolen. This put me at a huge inconvenience as I know I had as many as forty $1 bills in my purse that I was going to use in the night market!

Because I was so upset and I had to leave Luang Prabang to catch a 7:00am cruise with LuangSay cruise (from Luang Prabang to Houei Say), I did not have an opportunity to file a police report. I did have the opportunity to tell every single person on the boat about my horrible experience with Angsana spa.

DO NOT GO TO THIS SPA! THEY HAVE SEVERAL LOCATIONS LOCATED AROUND THE WORLD! JUST WATCH YOUR STUFF!

JBW
Birmingham, Alabama
United States

Stayed February 2008
5 Thank jenniferbwest
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2008

The Maison claims to be a small luxury hotel. A claim based on former glories rather than current reality. In fact it is a large guest house with the inevitable spa which is badly let down by its Public Rooms or lack of them. The Bar area (4 high stools) is in the corner of the Dining Area. The Dining Area itself is on an open terrace: in bad weather, the terrace is curtained off to become an overcrowded unpleasant place made dangerous by the multiple fan heater cables snaking across the floor. There is nowhere to sit indoors before or after a meal unless you want to use one of the half a dozen seats in Reception. Other gripes include untreated mildew on the swimming pool tiles and an interesting practice whereby your bill is rendered in Kips but they insist that credit card payments are made in dollars at an exchange rate chosen by the Hotel. The Receptionist admitted that the practice was a rip off without any prompting from me. Avoid.

GRB

• Liked — Staff Courtesy
  • Disliked — No Public Rooms. Billing Rip Off
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BigG_And_JLo
Staffordshire
Reviewed January 2, 2008

We spent four days here as part of a 3 week trip to IndoChina, and it was a very enjoyable and relaxing experience. The hotel grounds and staff are lovely, and we had excellent service throughout our stay. The garden rooms are well appointed but small for the price, the smallest of all the hotel rooms we came across on our trip by some way. I agree with other reviewers that for the price/quality of the hotel, the breakfast choice is small and disappointing, although what there is is well presented and perfectly edible. The bathroom was a little shabby and as others have said, the shower does run all over the floor! Nice touches were the little gifts left on the bed each evening. Excellent local laundry places opposite which charge miniscule amounts for washing and ironing by the kilo - quick turnaround and highly recommended. Having since seen reviews of other locations on tripadvisor and in Lonely Planet, would not stay here if returning to Luang Prabang as could undoubtedly get better value for money elsewhere.

• Liked — Hotel personnel
  • Disliked — Size of room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Millside
Thailand
Reviewed December 14, 2007

We spent a romantic weekend here without kids and it was a perfect place. Great style mixing French colonial, Asian and modern elements, good location (5min walk to main centre). Only had breakfast at the hotel which was actually not that great but we did not care. The atmoshere was just so beautiful. Recommend to anyone looking for 'tonic for the soul' (Lonely Planet about Lunag Prabang)

• Liked — Style
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple