“Beautiful Hotel in an Amazing City”

Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel
Ranked #9 of 71 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We had a wonderful night at the Maison Souvannaphoum and are eager to return to Louang Prabang. The city is amazing and the hotel is perfectly situated for exploring it, on foot or on their rental bikes. Our best breakfast in Laos was here. The garden/patio/swimming pool is the perfect sanctuary. Our room was huge and beautifully decorated. The staff are professional, eager, helpful, even when we threw them some curve-balls. (Missing airplane luggage, etc.) You can always find a cheap bed in Laos but we are glad we splurged for our last night.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Ed B,

Greetings from sunny Luang Prabang.

Please allow me to first and foremost thank you for having selected Maison Souvannaphoum as your preferred Hotel for your recent vacation in Luang Prabang.
I am delighted to learn from your review that you have thoroughly enjoyed your sojourn in Luang Prabang and that the services rendered by my team as well as the facilities we provided contributed to a pleasant and memorable experience.

Thank you very much for having taken the time to post your review here on tripadvisor and for providing us with such encouraging feedback.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Maison Souvannaphoum and in the meantime I wish you a good day and all the very best.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed four nights in this charming hotel and thorougly enjoyed all the facilities.

The location of the hôtel is ideal, within walking distance of the main interesting points of Luang Prabang. The restaurant is good, the staff very helpfull. The Manager Serge is anxious to make your stay most pleasurable. Congratulation.
A very nice place to stay !

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear 1253,

I trust all is well back in beautiful Switzerland.

It was delightful having made your acquaintance during your recent stay with us at Maison Souvannaphoum. Thank you very much for having taken the time to briefly comment on the experience you have had with us on this occasion. On behalf of my team, I would like to thank you for the kind and encouraging words and at the same time would like to assure you that shall certainly not rest on our laurels now. We are fully committed to make Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel a more enjoyable and pleasant place on a daily basis.

It would be a great pleasure to be of service to you again in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back to Luang Prabang one day!

« Nos meilleurs vœux et une bonne journée ! »

Cordialement

A TripAdvisor Member
Surrey
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed at the Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel for three nights. It was a wonderful experience. The hotel is beautifully renovated, full of charm, peaceful and within walking distance of Buddhist temples, the night market, town and the river walk. The hotel staff was excellent, always happy to fulfill any requests and the breakfast buffet first class with both Western and Laotian food. Marilyn and Gerry Canada

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

Dear valued Guest,

I trust you have had a smooth and uneventful journey back to Canada.

It was a great pleasure to have you with us this past January and I am delighted to now read your positive feedback on your recent vacation.

Thank you ever so much for the kind praise for our staff – I have not missed to share this with the team here. I am also glad to learn that you found the location of our Hotel to be convenient and that you enjoyed exploring the nearby temples and markets by foot.

We hope you will have the opportunity to travel to this part of the world again in the future and would on such occasion be delighted to host yet another memorable stay for you.

In the meantime I would like to wish you a good day and all the very best!

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We arrived at Maison Souvannaphoum after a disappointing experience at a hotel in Cambodia with great reviews so we were not sure what we would get.
Our experience at this hotel did not disappoint. The customer care and service could not be faulted during our stay, this included VERY early morning.
We stayed for 3 nights and would happily return and advise friends and family to choose this hotel

Stayed: February 2013

Dear TH,

Thank you for sharing your summary of your recent stay with us here on tripadvisor. I did read it with much interest and joy!
Allow me to thank you yet again for having chosen Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel as your preferred Hotel for your recent vacation in Luang Prabang. I am really pleased to know that we have been able to live up to your expectations and that your sojourn was a pleasant one indeed.

It also a great encouragement for us to know that you are recommending our establishment to your friends and family. On behalf of the Maison Souvannaphoum Team, I thank you very much and look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Loved this place! An oasis close to the Mekong river and within easy walking distance of the town centre. Authentic design, large rooms in high ceiling kept from Prince Souvannaphoum from the old Lao Empire. Big balconies with sofas. Good turn down service. Breakfast not the biggest spread but sufficient enough and what better way to start the day than by sitting a next to a cute swimming pool surrounded by a beautiful garden. Lovely staffs in all areas. Just can't ask for more!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your review here on “tripadvisor” and for providing us with such encouraging feedback.
I am really glad to learn that you have enjoyed Luang Prabang so much and that our services and facilities contributed to an overall excellent vacation.

We are strongly committed to look for areas to improve on a daily basis and in this very effort my chef is constantly looking to enrich the breakfast spread with good products available locally.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel in the hopefully not too distant future.

In the meantime I would like to wish you a good day and all the best!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We decided, at the end of a 1,200km motorbike trip from Pakse to Luang Prabang, to book ourselves a really comfortable, luxurious place - we knew we would be worn out! This place looked magnificent from the website, and had attracted a lot of good reviews. It certainly looked luxurious, and we went for it.

In the end, we discovered that the place is indeed very comfortable and pleasant. If anything, the staff are rather too solicitous - at least 6-8 enquiries after coffee refills and other things over breakfast is a little too much! The start wasn't great - I freely acknowledge we looked a bit of a fright after our very long trip, but we were awkwardly perched to the side while our passports were scritinised and the fact that my wife has a different surname from mine puzzled over. Once we were finally shown to our room, though, the relaxation level improved.

For a hotel which positions itself in the bracket it clearly tries to, I noticed slight signs of wear everywhere : the corners of the bathroom had slight paint peeling, the pool furniture looked tired about the edges, the trimming around the roof was looking weathered. The breakfast (we didn't try dinner - too many fabulous options in the old town) was pleasant, although rather bland (except the noodle soup, which was lovely.) More does not mean better in the area of attentiveness, either : everythig is a little over the top here, which ends up seeming less warm and personal than slightly fake and rote.

In all, we had a very pleasant stay. However, not a superlative one : I get a slight feeling that the place trades too much on its status as an ex-royal palace (actually, just a large house) and not enough on perfecting its upkeep, and concentrating on basics like food.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear Sisyphus11,

Greetings from Luang Prabang.

Thank you for sharing your review here on tripadvisor.

I do enjoy gathering as much and as wide a customer feedback as possible and I have very much been able to appreciate the inputs gained from the points brought up by your good self in your review here.

It is good to know that you found Maison Souvannaphoum to be a pleasant and comfortable place and I truly hope you were able to relax after such long motorbike trip.

On the other hand it is with great regret that I have read about your experience at check in. Please allow me to apologize on behalf of my team if anyone has made you and your wife feel awkward in any way. Please trust that this did not happen intentionally and I am sorry we were not able to make you feel more welcome upon arriving to Maison Souvannaphoum!

I have certainly taken note of your remarks with regards to certain areas that have shown signs of wear. We are running every room through a twice a year maintenance plan and will take advantage of the dry weather in the weeks ahead to also refresh the outside of our building such as the paintwork.

We do indeed aim to deliver more than simply a pleasant stay and I regret we were not able to achieve this level of satisfaction on this occasion.

It would be a great delight to welcoming you back to Luang Prabang in the future and provide you with an overall more rounded and completely satisfying experience.

Once again Sisyphus11, thank you for your time and consideration and for providing this valuable feedback.

I wish you a good day and all the very best!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

So many of the reviews write of warm, personal service. We didn't experience any of that. I wonder if the manager was gone during our stay? Our stay started strangely when we were made to fill out credit card forms in the dark in the moving car on the way from the airport. (Of course we had submitted all of this info earlier.) Most airport pickups involve refreshing towels and cold drinks. Once we reached our room we found a welcoming card from the hotel manager. Too bad we weren't the people the card was addressed to. The bed had a message spelled out in flower blossoms or such but it was never removed so we had to pick up the blossoms/leaves before we could go to sleep.

I asked where the best place was to observe the monks asking for alms and was told to go out on the street by the hotel. Yes, some monks came there but as I discovered for myself later the major photogenic activity takes place in the old city. You would think that would be mentioned.

The room was fine, the breakfast good, especially the Lao coconut pancakes. I'm sorry there wasn't anyone there to offer us advice during our stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear ChicagoJurate,

Thank you for kindly having taken the time to reflect on your recent stay with us.

Your review has certainly given me the opportunity to see matters through the eyes of our valued guests and has prompted me to review the standards in certain areas.

First and foremost I would like to apologize for the less than pleasant arrival experience. There is only one chance to make a first impression and I am truly sorry we were not able to create a favorable and enjoyable experience on this occasion. We do take the time spend on the road between the airport and the hotel to finalize registration formalities so that the check in at the hotel can be done in a more swift manner. I appreciate you pointing out that this may not necessarily be a very comfortable practice and I do apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Also I would like to express my regrets for the obvious mix-up that has happened with the arrival card in your room. This is a very embarrassing mistake and I have asked my housekeeping team to be more careful about such details.

I am glad you have mentioned the early morning alms giving ceremony as this truly is a must-see ceremony whilst in Luang Prabang. There are in fact groups of monks out of five nearby temples that do pass the street in front of the hotel. There are many more places to observe the same ceremony down town and I am very sorry if you felt that one of my associates had provided you with inaccurate information. Please trust that it was certainly not our intention to do so.

Once again ChicagoJurate, I thank you very much for the constructive insights you have provided me with here and I wish we would have the opportunity to provide you with an overall much more pleasant experience when you may visit Luang Prabang again in the future.

In the meantime, I wish you a good day.