“Incredible staff, peaceful spa and convenient location”

Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel
Ranked #9 of 71 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The staff at Maison Souvannaphoum went above and beyond to make sure we enjoyed our stay. From Serge to the front desk staff to the spa technicians, everyone was pleasant and polite.

What we liked about the hotel: convenient location, lovely spa, pleasant staff made the stay enjoyable. I also like the fact they they are making an environmental effort.

What needs work (and I did fill this out on the comment cards, so no surprise here to the manager): dated rooms: uncomfortable beds (extremely firm) and poor lighting (either too bright or too dark); the bathroom: REALLY low toilet and sinks (this would not be good for an elderly or disabled guest).

Bikes are available for guest use. Just test them out before you take them out. Ours had very noisy breaks. We ended up hiring mountain bikes the next day. Breakfast was fine. Food was good, but the selection got a bit tiresome by day 3.

All in all, our stay was very good. Next time, we will probably check out a less expensive guest house with high ratings. We found Maison Souvannaphoum to be pricey for Luang Prabang, where everything else is still really reasonable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Heather S
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear Hongkong P,

I trust you have had a smooth and safe journey back to Hong Kong.

Please allow me to first and foremost thank you for having selected Maison Souvannaphoum as your preferred Hotel for your vacation in Luang Prabang. It has been a pleasure to have had the opportunity to make your acquaintance during your recent stay.

I am also very thankful you have kindly taken the time to post your review which I have read with great interest here on tripadvisor. I am glad to learn you have had an overall very good stay with us and that our associates were able to contribute to an enjoyable sojourn at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel. I have not missed to share your feedback with my team.

Further I have been very much able to appreciate the areas for improvement you have kindly pointed out in your review. It is with regret that I have acknowledged that you found our beds to be uncomfortable and too firm for your liking. My apologies for the decreased sleeping comfort this must certainly have caused to you. We have in the meantime found a way to, with a few simple steps make our beds softer in case one of our valued guests requests for softer beds. The sinks and toilet seats are indeed lower than the European/Western standards and I am sorry if this has caused any inconvenience during your stay with us.

Following your remarks with regards to the noisy bicycle breaks we have checked all of our 10 bikes and did indeed find several with squeaky breaks. My team of mechanics have been able to take care of this nuisance right away.

Hongkong P once again, thank you for your time and consideration and for providing me with your invaluable feedback here.

We would certainly be very happy to welcoming you back to Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel on your next visit to Luang Prabang and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of any assistance with making arrangements.

I wish you a good day and all the very best.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

The staff and the pool really made our stay in Luang Prabang a joy to return home every time. Improvements could be made to the room though. We enjoyed the breakfasts.The hair dryers definitely needs an update.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Crispydoodle,

Greetings from Luang Prabang.

I am glad to learn that you liked our pool the breakfast and the services provided by our associates. Thank you very much for your kind words. Please be assured that I have taken note of your remarks with regards to improvements that could be made to our rooms and would like to assure you that we include all of our rooms in a maintenance program twice yearly in order to rectify any wear and tear that has occurred. Allow me to apologize in case any circumstances in yourn room have caused inconveniences to your good self during your stay. Also I am glad to inform you that we have purchased new hairdryers and will continue to replace any that are outdated.

Once again, thank you for your time and consideration and for providing me with your feedback here.

We would be delighted to be of service to you again in the future and look forward to welcoming you back to Maison one day!

In the meantime, I wish you a good day and all the very best.

A TripAdvisor Member
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I got perfect stay in Angsana Maison Suwannabhum during 12-14 January 2013. They serve me excellence service, beginning of process by start with the reservation which quick responded until check out. All staff are helpful and great attitude with sincere smile.
Thank you so much!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

Dear Sutida,

Thank you ever so much for your review posted here on Tripadvisor.

Great to know that you have enjoyed your time with us so much and that you found our associates all to be friendly and helpful. I have not missed to share your kind feedback with the team. Also our Reservations Manager was very happy to have received such high praise from your good self. Please trust that we are fully committed to improving the facilities provided and services rendered on a daily basis and shall certainly not rest on our laurels.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Luang Prabang and Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel in the future.

Have a good day!

Regards

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I came here on the recommendation of friends whom I met in a previous hotel and who seemed to be like minded to me in terms of hotel choices. Unfortunately, they got the royal treatment here (upgrades and good meals), while i experienced the opposite (shabby room and boring breakfasts). So it seems one big problem here may be inconsistent service (and product!)...

More than anything, my main reaction is that this place is incredibly poor value... It masquerades as a luxury hotel, but doesn't deliver what it promises. The end result is that you pay 5* prices for what really should be a 3* hotel. In a town where you have so many charming guesthouses with designer interiors and first rate service, this hotel can't rely on friendliness and the Angsana brand alone to justify its ridiculously inflated room rates.

While I can't fault the service, which was actually quite excellent, the facilites are simply sub-standard. Rooms lack elegance or originality and much of the furniture, both in the rooms and around the pool+dining area are hodge-podge, faded and dated (and not in a good way.)

The breakfast was so mediocre, both in terms of food options and atmosphere, that I wasn't interested to stay for any additional meals.

The location is wonderful and the spa isn't too bad either, which are the only reasons I stuck around. But it all felt too generic and missing the opportunity to convey the charm and beauty of the local culture, not to mention the heritage of the very house the hotel used to be.

Time to invest in a new decorator and some fresh furniture, Maison Souvannaphoum, or you will continue to disappoint discerning travelers.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra and stay in the main house... That way, you actually get something for your mon...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Oliana M
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Oliana M,

Greetings from Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your impressions here on Tripadvisor.

Reading your account of your stay with us at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel has left me deeply saddened and concerned. Please trust that it is by no means our intention nor is it living up to the high standards we have set for ourselves to deliver the kind of experience described by your good self here. It is with great regret that I have taken note of your disappointment with our establishment and I would not want to miss to extend my apologies for not having lived up to your expectations on this occasion. We certainly do not take feedback such as this lightly and are fully committed to improve and ameliorate our services and facilities with the help of the invaluable inputs we receive from our patrons. In this effort I have certainly taken adequate time to discuss your opinions, namely with regards to the quality and variety of our breakfast as well as the condition, originality and elegance of our furniture with my management team here on site. Once again, my sincere apologies for any disappointment caused.

On the lighter, side I am pleased to learn that the quality of service rendered as well as the convenient location of our hotel have positively contributed to an otherwise less than enjoyable stay.

I truly wish we would have the opportunity to provide you with an overall much more pleasant experience and deliver the enjoyable and memorable sojourn Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel is renowned for when you may visit Luang Prabang in the future.

Once again Oliana M, thank you for your time and consideration and for providing us with your feedback.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We arrived a day earlier than planned due to some unexpected problems. Everyone was so helpful; Serge, the manager, went out of our way to make sure everything was perfect. The architecture and setting of the hotel is beautiful. Our 15 yo daughter was unwell and Serge made sure we had everything we needed. We enjoyed the pool side service and the Prince Lao banquet was very good. When we got to the airport we realised we had left some jewellery behind; no worries, they just organised a motorcycle courier to bring it to the airport! You could to ask for better service!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear RJETMelbourne,

I trust you and your family have had exciting onwards travels and a smooth an uneventful journey back to Melbourne.

It was wonderful having you with us here at Maison Souvannaphoum during your recent visit to Luang Prabang. I hope that your daughter has now fully recovered and is felling 100% well again! I am particularly happy to learn that you liked our special Lao dinner and have not missed to share your comments with Chef Vanhsay and his team. Thank you very much for your kind and encouraging feedback.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the future and in the meantime would like to wish you and your beloved ones a good day and all the very best for 2013.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed there early January 2013 with my family. In short: a lovely place managed by lovely people = the perfect mix for a wonderful holiday! Efficiently choreographed by Serge, the gracious Swiss manager, la Maison is very well located in the heart of Luang Prabang, and walking distance to all major interesting sites and restaurants in the city. While staying there, do not forget to enjoy a fantastic massage at their spa!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear parayhk,

Greetings from Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel.

I am delighted to learn that you have thoroughly enjoyed your recent family holiday in Luang Prabang. We are indeed very happy to know that we have been able to contribute to a memorable and pleasant experience. Your feedback made everyone really proud and especially our SPA team was very happy to have received your kind commendations. Thank you very much for your encouragement.

I hope you will have the chance to travel to Luang Prabang again in the future and we would on such occasion be delighted to welcoming you back to Maison Souvannaphoum.

In the meantime, I would like to wish you and your beloved ones a happy and healthy 2013 once again.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I recently spent three nights here with my girlfriend and we had an excellent time. The staff (including the ubiquitious parakeet) was very helpful and friendly from the time we arrived to the time we left, including helping us get a late night meal when most restaurants were closed. Breakfast was excellent and had some variety across days and the bike rental was cheap and convenient. Would not hesitate to stay here again if I find myself in the region.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear JoshinJapan,

Thank you very much for sharing the experience of your recent stay at Maison Souvannaphoum here on Tripadvisor. I have read your review with much interest and joy. I am particularly pleased to learn that you did like the services rendered by our restaurant team and that you also enjoyed getting around town with our rental bicycles. I agree with you; this is certainly one of the most convenient and pleasant means to explore the wonderful town of Luang Prabang.

It has been a pleasure to have made your acquaintance during your recent stay with us and I am looking forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

In the meantime, I wish you and your partner all the very best for 2013 and a good day!