“Couldn't recommend this place highly enough”

Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel
Ranked #6 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Couldn't recommend this place highly enough”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

An attractive hotel in lovely grounds, just a short walk away from the main street. Our room was large, light and airy and there was a pleasant pool/bar area that provided a welcome oasis at the end of a day's sightseeing. The hotel was spotlessly clean with the most helpful, charming team of staff who did everything they could to make our stay special.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe garden room which was lovely and overlooked the gardens and pool
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear TJ711,

I trust you have had a smooth and uneventful journey back to the UK.

Thank you ever so much for having taken the time to share your holiday experience here on Tripadvisor. On behalf of my entire team here - thank you very much for your praise and kind words. We are glad to have been able to make your stay here in Luang Prabang memorable and special and would be delighted to welcoming you back again in the future.

Please trust that we shall certainly not rest on our laurels and make every effort possible to keep our grounds and facilities pleasant and enjoyable as you have found them on your recent visit to Maison Souvannaphoum.

I wish you a good day!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Cordes-sur-Ciel, France
Reviewed October 27, 2012

this is a lovely hotel in the middle of the tranquil city , when i rented a motor bike they warned me of the traffic coming from phuket, what traffic . lovely rooms with everything you could desire, beautiful to look at and really nice food,good breakfast . very helpful is advising where to visit and what to look at . make friends with the parrot

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear TIMOTHY C,

Greetings from Luang Prabang.

It is great to hear that you have had such an enjoyable holiday here in Luang Prabang. We are glad to read that you found our location as well as our rooms and food to be commendable. Thank you for your kind praise! I am also glad to inform you that our little parrot “Buddy” is doing very well and is learning to speak the local language now.

He will hence be welcoming you with a resounding “Sabaidee” when you may visit us next time.

In the meantime, I wish you a good day and all the very best!

Best Regards
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2012

The hotel is set in an attractive garden with a beautiful small swimming pool. All areas of the hotel including our room were very tastefully decorated, obviously by some on with an artistic eye. The staff are very friendly and helpful. We felt they genuinely wanted to know us and help us to appreciate Luang Prabang. Their restaurant served delicious meals, very fresh and well presented. Great location as well. Walking distance to many sites.

Dear Artihc,

I trust you have had an uneventful journey back to Autralia.

Please allow m e to thank you yet again for staying with us on your recent visit to Luang Prabang. Thank you further for your kind feedback on our interior design, the quality of our food and the friendliness of our team. Comments such as the one received from your good self here certainly make every hotelier’s day and I have not missed to pass on your praise to all my associates.

We would be delighted to be of service to you again in the hopefully not too distant future and in the meantime, I wish you a good day!

Kind regards
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We booked our stay online and didn't know what to expect. We had been to Luang Prabang 12 years earlier, but didn't know how much things had changed. We had only booked for one night, thinking we would see how we liked it. We loved everything about Maison Souv. and extended our stay. It was a short walk to the center of town, giving us respite from the bustle but proximity to everything. The staff was great, and the room was excellent value for our money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

Dear valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments which I have read with great interest and joy! I am really glad that after having visited Luang Prabang 12 years ago, you and your family yet again thoroughly enjoyed this truly special place. We are glad to have been able to add our part to a memorable and pleasant holiday and are looking forward to welcoming you back to Maison Souvannaphoum in the future.

Have a good day!

Best regards

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Since my first step down from the airplane, I didn't expect anything, told myself I came here for being a tourist. But after I spend my first night in this hotel, all the service, all the friendly smiling, and every good thing I was served. Those gave me "a special guest of them"....no more a tourist.
I use this way to say thanks to them, and'll keep this hotel in my mind till the next holiday comes!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear undonstar,

Thank you for sharing your encouraging feedback here on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to hear that you felt so comfortable when staying with us here at Maison Souvannaphoum. Your “thanks” to the team have been very well received and please allow me to in return also thank you once again for having selected Maison Souvannaphoum as your preferred Hotel in Luang Prabang. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next holiday!

In the meantime, I am sending you warmest regards and wish you all the very best!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We received a Princely welcome back. It is great to return to this ex-Prince Residence. Lush greenery, well-landscaped garden and friendly staff to greet you by your name at every meeting point.

Every staff is commendable, including the hotel manager, Serge and resident parakeet, Buddy. This time we stayed 2 days longer and managed to do and experience more. We rented the hotel bikes for self-exploration of the area along Mekong River. Was a great suggestion by the hotel. Other than the must-do Alm offering by the streets early in the morning, we also booked a local market tour with their Executive Chef, Vahnsay. It was well worth the time and fees, we saw many interesting and gross items for sale. Chef would explain what the odd items were and how it may be used for cooking. It was educational and truly an experience, though not for the faint hearted. That said, my travelling companions from Germany found it extremely interesting!

Try the local cuisine in the hotel, it is much better and definitely comparable in price than the other restaurants in town.

The Spa in the hotel is always booked up. Out of our 6 travellers, only 3 of us managed to get a slot during our 4 days stay. I must remember to book the moment I check in next time!
A memorable stay again and looking forward to return again next year!

Room Tip: The Garden Rooms are nice, but if you are needing only 1 room try the main masion room. We needed 3...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear alexfish,

Sunny greetings from Luang Prabang.
We are all very happy to read that you and your travel companions from Germany have enjoyed your recent stay at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel. Thank you ever so much for your gracious comments made here in Tripadvisor and for sharing your experience with fellow travelers. I have passed on your feedback to all the team and it certainly made everyone really proud! I am sending you personal regards from Chef Vanhsay as well as from our “mascot” Buddy and would love to welcome you back to Maison Souvannaphoum in the hopefully not too distant future.

In the meantime, I wish you and your family all the very best!

Kind regards
Bari, Italy
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Some reasons why the hotel is top in all hotels we’ve ever stayed:
Location - just amazing with only 5 minutes walking from main sights, shopping centre.
Room - very comfortable bed, bathroom was lovely and well-equiped with all things you need.
Food- Breakfast are fantastic, service from the waiting staff in the restaurant was superb.
Staff - staff very helpful, friendly, attentive and always there for you if needed
If I have chance to visit here again I would definitely choose this hotel and recommend it to anyone - it has made our visit even more special