Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #11 of 68 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed January 26, 2013

2 i phones being stolen from your room-is this what you expect from a supposedly upscale $$$ hotel room

We certainly did not expect that this perfectly serene holiday would turn into a nightmare.

There was no senior management person to give a proper response to the theft from our room-thats the least a guest expects.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank sylvie l
ThreeNagas L, General Manager at Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following this most unfortunate of incidents. All of us here at the 3 Nagas are truly sorry that this has happened and would like you to know that every effort is being carried out to resolve this situation.

As I have tried to explain to an earlier review concerning this same matter, I too wouldn't expect things to go missing from my room when staying in a Star quality rated Hotel. Now that this has happened, we need to find out how and why so that we can proceed to the next stage. Please be assured that once we have received all the findings from the Investigators and the Luang Prabang Police, we will be in contact with those concerned.

In the meantime, we hope that the remainder of your holiday will continue without further incident and until the next time, I remain,

There are newer reviews for Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We were a group of eleven ladies staying at the hotel for 5 nights from 21st January till th 26th of January. On the night of 25th Jan. my Iphone which I left to charge and went out of the hotel for dinner, the phone got stolen which I realised only in the morning of the 26th at 6.30 am.
The hotel manager could give me no assurance as he had no authority as to what action they were going to take.
In the world of Ipads, Iphones, Laptops this expensive hotel could not ensure the safety of my things and the manager was powerless to make any decisions as the owners are in absentia.
Even midrange guest houses ensure more safety of electonic goods these days as everyone travels with them.
I would definitely never recommend this hotel to anyone.
To make it worse it was not only my phone which was stolen but another friend who was travelling with us in the group her phone got stolen too.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Kiran M

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent visit at our 3 Nagas Hotel. All of us are truly sorry for the loss of your iPhone and for the distress and inconvenience this will no doubt cause you.

It is not unreasonable in any quality Hotel to expect that your personal valuables should be safe when left in your room: in order to facilitate that, all our rooms are also equipped with a personal safe to ensure this protection. Certainly when I travel I always make use of this irrespective of what type of Hotel I am staying at. Please let me assure you that we are treating the case of the missing phones with the seriousness it deserves and just as soon as the findings are given to us we will get back to you and advise the next course of action.

In all such incidents, Hotels will have procedures that they must follow and 3 Nagas is no exception. These needs to be followed through and the next course of action then applied following the findings. In fairness to the Management, he can only decide what to do once the investigations are complete. Once again, we are truly sorry for this loss.

Please be patient with us as we get to bottom of this: expect to hear back from me in the very near future and until then, I remain,

Reviewed January 21, 2013

On our first visit to Luang Prabang between Christmas and New Year's 2012 we booked five nights at 3 Nagas, and frankly didn't know much about it before arriving. From the airport we used the van the hotel offers, and that was a short and painless journey of about ten minutes to the hotel. We were offered a room in the Annex across the street, and our room had a very tropical seating area outside, and from the room we looked out to a charming garden with seating, tables and a couple of umbrellas. Our room was spacious and welcoming, with the beds draped in mosquito net, despite a very effective A/C unit in the room (the wall-mount type with remote control). A basket of fruit was near the lounge chairs, and contained many juicy tangerines and mangosteens. But the very best part of our stay had to do with the absolute prime location, the warmth of the staff, and the al-la-carte breakfast each morning, that included many choices for those not accustomed to Lao cuisine. Coffee was made to order, and the basket of breakfast rolls usually came with freshly baked muffins, still warm. The hotel arranged for us to participate in the giving of rice to the procession of monks who pass by in early morning (Tak Bat). Instead of just giving us some rice, they put down a mat, cushions and gave us handsome, large containers of rice, so we were able to generously give to each person who stopped by. By sitting, of course, we were able to remain lower than the monks, which is preferred. When it came time for an excursion, we simply asked at the front desk, and were given a good bike lock and 'chain,' and were offered to select our own bikes from their group of about ten. The person from the front desk who assisted us adjusted the seats and tightened them securely. We covered many, many streets and even rural areas just beyond this small town of 35,000 on these durable multi-speed bikes, and found the lack of traffic pure heaven. When we requested a river cruise to the Pak Ou caves up the Mekong River, the hotel manager was quick to make very reasonably priced arrangements for a private boat. The captain met us at the hotel and walked us to the boat, just a few blocks away. The two-hour each way river cruise was superb, and worthy of another review unto itself. Despite some noise issues with electric bikes on the hill outside our room, this was a stress-free stay and an experience we will repeat, hopefully next year. This hotel is in the true heart of this World Heritage site. Luang Prabang is a hidden gem, and so is 3 Nagas.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
ThreeNagas L, General Manager at Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations following your recent stay at our 3 Nagas property.

I was very pleased to note that you enjoyed the experience and that you will consider returning to us next year: we very much hope that you will return to us and if we can assist you in making reservations, please don't hesitate to let us know.

I was especially pleased to note that you found our service team warm and friendly and their efforts measured up to your expectations. We have just changed our Breakfast arrangements and so to read that you enjoyed the new A La Carte breakfast was equally satisfying.

We very much look forward to being of service to you again in the not too distant future and until that time, I remain,

General Manager.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

The 3 Nagas made our stay in Luang Prabang absolutely perfect. The hotel is located at a quiet spot on the main street where you could walk out your door and be in the middle of all of the lovely shops and restaurants. Staying away from the main street would have made the visit completely different and I feel we would have missed all of the best flavor of the town. The hotel is a beautiful French colonial hotel and our room was wonderfully furnished with a dark wood, four poster bed with white upholstered furniture. We had french doors leading out to a small garden with two lounge chairs. They leave a lovely little treat for you in bamboo bowls every night during turn down. The restaurant was perfect. They include breakfast every morning and the Lao breafast was divine! The tables are located out front and you can watch the monks and tuk tuks pass by as your dining. Be sure to have dinner there, we found it to be the best food in town but you will require a reservation b/c it is very popular. The staff could not have been nicer and we booked our airport transfer and were driven in the hotels classic mercedes benz. Perfect stay from start to finish.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank atlantalef

I was very pleased to read that our facilities and services measured up to you expectations and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you too for your kind comments about our staff: I was very pleased that you found them friendly and was delighted to know that our food quality which you felt was the best in town.

We do hope that your travels might bring you back to Luang Prabang and should that be the case, then we would be delighted to have stay with us again. In the meantime, I remain,

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Very happy with the breakfast and the dinner. Great location, can easily walk to everywhere with beautiful temples nearby for nice morning and evening strolls. People are extremely helpful, a very happy stay. And comparing to the other hotel we stayed in LP, 3 Nagas is really good value.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

We are pleased to note that you found our food quality measured up to your expectations and I have taken great pleasure in sharing this with our Food and Beverage team. I was also pleased to note that our service team to be extremely helpful and this too I have shared with them at our recent service review meeting.

I realize that it's a long way to travel from Australia but we do hope that you might return to Luang Prabang in the not too distant future. In the meantime, I remain,

Reviewed January 9, 2013

This restaurant is in our view a true Lao gem for Lao food. Located in the main street this restaurant offers just the right mix of predominantly Lao/Asia food and the obvious escape for Western food. The restaurant/hotel has two locations on either side of the main street. An indoor restaurant and a terrace like restaurant beneath the hotel. The food is carried over the street to reach either side. The staff is very friendly and of well spoken English.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations following your recent stay bat our 3 Nagas property.

I was delighted to know that you felt that our Restaurant was a gem and that our Lao food measured up to you expectations. I was equally pleased to note that you found our service team to be very friendly and that their spoken English was above expectation.

I notice that you came from Bangkok which is very close to Luang Prabang so we all hope that it won't be too long before we will have the pleasure of your company again at our 3 Nagas. Until that time, I remain,

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have lived and traveled in Southeast Asia a lot over the last decade and a half, and have had the 3 Nagas recommended to us several times. Suffice it to say, we were disappointed. Granted, the buildings that comprise the hotel are historic and well-preserved. The overall character of the management of the property, however, can be illustrated by several details. First, while all of the other high-end hotels and restaurants we frequented in central Luang Prabang used an exchange rate of Lao kip to USD equal to the official exchange rate, the 3 Nagas used their own exchange rate which provided a not-insubstantial undisclosed surcharge to the guest (and, a windfall to the hotel) when the bill was tallied up. In a similar vein, our first night at the hotel we had drinks at the bar and, separately, had dinner at a table. Both the bar tab and the separate dinner tab had "mistakes" on them, which we had to catch and ask to be corrected. Similarly, we had arranged with the hotel ahead of time for a car to pick us up at the airport when we arrived, at a specified price for a specified type of car, but when we met the driver at the airport, we found out that we were being taken in the back of a small pick-up truck. A ride in a "suntail" can be fun, but you want to know ahead of time what you are getting. When you are the guest of a high-end hotel, you want to rely on the good faith and fair-dealing of the management. We found at the 3 Nagas, we could not. We were poorly served for the high prices we paid. There are considerably better values elsewhere in the historic distric.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roy O
ThreeNagas L, General Manager at Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

I must confess it made for disappointing reading and I apologize for the delay in my response as I needed to investigate all the issues raised to find out exactly what happened before I could make an informed response.

To state that you could tell the character of the Management by the issues that you highlighted is unfair and please allow me to address each of your comments in turn.

The exchange rate used by the 3 Nagas is the same as used by all the other Hotels throughout Luang Prabang and so your comment is incorrect. Where the 3 Nagas differed from other establishments is that we applied a 10% Government Tax and 10% Service charge and this was stated at the bottom of every page of both the Menu and the Drinks List. This additional expense was calculated and then added to your bill when it was presented for payment which is why your bill was higher once converted into Lao Kip, I am not going to bore you with the accounting regulations to which we are subject, save to advise that this issue has been a source of concern for us for a while: we have now reviewed our pricing so that these required additional charges are now included in the overall price making it much clearer for all concerned.

You did NOT arrange for the Hotel to provide a car to pick you up at airport: you inquired to the various modes of transfer available from the airport and their costs to which we replied. No car was confirmed by you, so no car was booked. The fact that you assumed someone offering transport at the airport was one of our employees is hardly the management's character or fault. We certainly never charged you anything for getting yourselves from the airport to the Hotel.

Yes, you are correct that high end guests should receive good services and I believe we supplied that. On the subject of good faith and fair dealing, perhaps some high end guests should take the same approach before giving such inaccurate reviews.

Thank you again for your time and as ever, I remain,

Kevin M, O'Hagan,