The Grand Luang Prabang Hotel is beautifully situated high above the Mekong River with a backdrop of mysterious, misty mountains. It is spaciously laid-out in grand colonial style with attractive lawns, ponds and walkways. It promises so much.
Sadly, this reviewer and his wife encountered some significant faults and failings which detracted significantly from that promise. Some of these relate to the structure and fabric of the buildings and some to management.Taking the former first:-
The bedroom (416):-
- the hardwood flooring is creaky and squeaky
- there is no two-way light switching
- dividing rules are paper-thin and provide very poor sound insulation.
- the air-conditioning / heater unit is hopelessly ineffective.
- the instant water heaters for basin and shower are not capable of providing and adequate flow of hot water.
- flow through the shower-head is weak.
And so to the latter:-
- On arrival, the bedside light didn't work: (fixed promptly after a call to Reception).
- There is a double-bed but only one bed-side light (the one that didn't work!).
- The bed is creaky.
- There is insufficient storage for clothes.
- There were insufficient clothes hangers.
- A kettle and cups were provided but neither tea nor coffee (these were supplied on request from Day Two).
- Staff in their drab, almost militaristic, uniforms tended to ignore guests: unprecedented in S/E Asia.
- Dinner on Saturday 18th January was only available in the outside area of the restaurant, the interior having been given over to a private function. It was so cold that the few staff on duty were wearing hats, scarves and gloves: lucky them! The cold must have chilled the brains of the waiting staff: we finished our pork dish before any rice was produced. In fact, no rice was produced.
- Breakfast service was a shambles and content was the least extensive of the five hotels visited on our January travels through VietNam, Cambodia and Laos.
This beautiful, gloriously situated hotel has certain structural deficiencies that would take considerable investment to rectify. However, the guest experience could be vastly improved with sharp, hands-on, visible management.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Miracle of Luangprabang city, the Grand luangprabang hotel is where the music offered by the river. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Grand Luang Prabang Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grand Luang Prabang Hotel And Resort
- The Grand Luang Prabang Hotel Luang Prabang
- Grand Hotel Luang Prabang
- Grand Luang Prabang