“Royal Palace overlooking The Mekong”

The Grand Luang Prabang Hotel & Resort
Ranked #33 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Royal Palace overlooking The Mekong”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

Had the opportunity to stay at this very beautiful hotel for 5 nights. It was a Palace before and the view of the magnificent Mekong is wonderful especially during breakfast and sunset. The staff were wonderful especially Mr Suthep the GM. Saw the legendary water buffaloes ...adopted by the hotel and the pool was superb....set among the village atmosphere overlooking the mountains that surrounds Luang Prabang.

My room opened towards the mekong....just amazing...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank WanLanun
Luangprabangsmile, Director of Sales at The Grand Luang Prabang Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Dear Sir,
Thank you very much sharing with such a nice comments about our hotel & service, especially to talk about my buffaloes.(hope that they will happy to heard the good news too) Also we are very pleasure if we have full your expectations. We all the Grand team will be waiting for your return to historic place again.
Best regards,
The Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

This was my second stay at the hotel over the last 12 months. It has a picturesque setting on the banks of the Mekong and is very well managed and serviced by well-trianed and attentive staff .

The hotel is about 5 km out of town but they have a shuttle service to town as well as bikes available for those so inclined. Also has a very nice swimming pool.

It is a very peaceful way to spend a couple of days, best with a few friends or family rather than alone.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2011

i visit luang prabang frequently and have stayed in many of its hotels. this is my hotel of choice. the hotel is a former residence of one of the royal princes situated on the mekong away from the hubbub of the tourist center. the views are spectacular and the tranquility palpable. its location, a few minutes away from the busy city center, work to its advantage. the gardens are splendid and the various buildings reflect the ambiance of old laos. the staff and the food are outstanding. the hotel will serve lao royal court food on request and as a connoisseur of lao foo food for several decades, it's the best lao food i've ever had.

khun suthep, the general manager, came to this hotel from the lijiang grand in yunnan, china. the luang prabang grand reflects the same outstanding attention to detail, both to the quality of the facility and the staff, that made his hotel in lijiang the hotel of choice.

this is one of my favorite hotels. i would rather stay here than in the best bangkok, hong kong and other outstanding cities have to offer.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CMKeur
Luangprabangsmile, Manager at The Grand Luang Prabang Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Dear sir or madam,
Thank you very much for your comment, It is our plesure to be able to satisfy our guest expectation. all my team are waiting for your next visit in our fantastic paradise of Luangprabang.
We're also enclosed the story of our family which you might miss them. sorry that we did not send you their picture
The story of my water buffaloes
One day in the morning in 2004, while I was driving my car on the road to the Kouang Si Waterfalls, I was passing the local abattoir and saw two skinny baby water buffaloes tied to the post in front of the abattoir. They looked very sad. So, I stopped my car to talk with the old man who worked there.
The old man told me that his family owned four water buffaloes but the parents of these two baby water buffaloes were slaughtered the day before. Their meat was sold at the market. The two babies will be slaughtered in the afternoon. Their meat will be sent to the French restaurant in town. I drove the car back to the hotel immediately, and talked with my friends about the pitiful baby water buffaloes. They donated some money and with some of my own money I went to save the baby water buffaloes.
I brought the two baby water buffaloes back to the hotel and named them E-Pom and E-Pan (‘e’ is a familiar term for an animal; ‘pom’ means nearly round in shape; and, ‘pan’ means skinny).
From that day E-Pom and E-Pan have come to be part of the staff of the Grand Hotel. We love them like our friends…not as animals; the staff always refers to them as the General Manager’s daughters.
In the first three years at the Grand Hotel, they brought us many troubles. Like young girls, they loved flowers, so they ate all the flowers in the hotel garden and sometimes they went to stay in front of the guest rooms (Perhaps they wanted just to say hello and to welcome the guests.). They have been good hosts and never disturbed our guests. Many children and foreigners like to take photos and play with them. In the second year here, E-Pom and E-Pan liked to wander out from the hotel. They woke up very early and walked from the hotel to the Pho Sy morning market (perhaps they liked to go shopping). But they always came back before dark; they did this every day. The problem is that on the way back home, they always stopped to visit the vegetable gardens and rice fields near the road. As a result, I have had to pay a lot for compensation of vegetables and rice to the farmers.
Let me tell you about one story about E-Pom and E-Pan which I have never forgotten. One day E-Pom and E-Pan left the hotel for the market very early in the morning. But they did not come back at dark as usual. I waited until 8.00 PM and decided to have the staff go out to find them. We did not see them. So I could not sleep all night…my daughters had gone missing. I thought about someone who stole them and sent them for slaughter. The next morning, the good news came with the bad; a farmer came to the hotel and told me that he found my babies in his farm. They had eaten all his cabbages and beans. I had to pay more than sixty dollars for the cabbages and bring E-pom and E-pan back to the hotel. However, I was happy to have my babies back home again.
In 2006, we received a new member of the staff at the Grand. One of the hotel guests decided to save another buffalo life and surprised me by bringing a white water buffalo to me as a present. It was indeed a surprise because I already had enough of a headache with E-Pom and E-Pan. In any case, E-Pom and E-Pan were very happy to get a boy-friend, about 1½ years younger than them. The new water buffalo staff member was named ‘Buk Pui’ which means a fat man.

In 2008, all the staff was very excited and happy (except me) because E-Pan gave birth to a male calf, white in color, which we named ‘Buk fluke.’ Normally when a water buffalo gives birth, the farmer is very happy to have a baby buffalo. But for me it seemed that I had to take more responsibility for a bigger family; as I promised to look after them until they died. However, he is my grandson…………I love him.
In 2009 E-Pom also gave birth, but her male calf is black, so we named him ‘Buk Fak,’ which means gourd.

Again, in 2010 E-Pan gave birth to a black male calf. I named him ‘Buk Nut,’ which means pineapple.
The villagers around the hotel know E-Pom and E-Pan as The ‘Hi-So’ (high-society) water buffaloes; they call them the five-star buffaloes because E-Pom and E-Pan spend most of their lives in a luxury hotel.
If you have time we would like to invite you to visit our family. They are now staying in the peaceful area of Prince Petsarath residence.
Finally, I would like to thank you on behalf of the owner of the Grand Hotel who allows me to feed them in the hotel area. And, I thank also Uncle Houeng, chief gardener and all the hotel staff who always help me to look after E-Pom and E-Pan and their families.

Lovingly,
The General Manager
Luang Prabang, Laos
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

I have been coming to this hotel a number of times. Its is the perfect place to relax.The location on the Mekong is by far the most spectacular of any Luang Prabang hotel and the neo colonial architecture is great too. The swimming pool is grandiose. First time visitors to Luang Prabang might consider this hotel to be located too far from the city center but there are vans and tuktuks. Rooms have great views but are a little outdated.

The main problem with the Grand is that communication with staff in English is arduous and generally staff would need better training. This is however a problem you will find in many places in Laos

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Edinburgh, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

We arrived quite late and decided just to have some drinks which were pricey. far cheaper to eat and drink in town.

Bedroom quite spacious overlooking nice gardens and fine. Bedrooms are either on the ground or the first floor with a short flight of steps needing to be climbed if you are on the firat floor.

The breakfast was vvery good and you are seated outside overlooking the mighty Mekong river. A simply stunning view at a bend in the river. Not surprisingly because of the view the hotel is located where a former Royal Palce was.

Watch at changing money at reception. I queried the rate on the first night and told 7869 to the dollar - pretty close to the spot rate. The next day I went to change $50 and was offered a rate of 7000 kip to the dollar. I mentioned the rate I was previously quoted and hey presto the 7869 rate was quickly reinstated so watch this.

Laundry at the hotel is very expensive but there are plenty of places in town charging about 7000 kip (around $1) per kilo washed for a same day service.

the hotel is a bit out of town but tuk tuks are cheap.

The hotel is very good at checking the rooms after checkout. They came after us to our coach with a couple of rain jackets we had stupidly left in a cupboard. Well done hotel.

• Stayed March 2011
Luangprabangsmile, Manager at The Grand Luang Prabang Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, April 14, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about our hotel.

We sincerely apologize for any small problems that you may have had with exchanging currency at the Front Desk.

To prevent future misunderstanding, the Management has now posted the exchange rate on a board at the Front Desk.

Today is Lao new year (14April) and on behalf of the Management and Staff of the Grand Luang Prabang Hotel, please accept our best wishes for a Happy, Healthy, and Successful New Year.

The Management
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

I have been staying at this hotel for many years. The former manager, Mr. Suthep, has returned to revitalize the hotel and bring back many of the experienced and friendly staff who left when he was transferred about one year ago. Well, Mr. Suthep is back and eager to please.

This is one of the only hotels in Luang Prabang where one can sleep with the air conditioning off. The ceiling fan and screened-doors allow you to slumber to the sound of the Mekong River passing by, over the rapids on a curve in the river.

The breakfast on the terrace riverside is beautiful. No other hotel in Luang Prabang has this view.

The hotel is out of town, so one is dependent on the hotel shuttle and jumbos or tuk-tuks. But the ride into town is pleasant and give one a chance to view local life.

The service is improving daily as Mr. Suthep contacts and brings back former staff.

This hotel is well worth the stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Epsom, Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

I have to say I was very apprehensive about this hotel given some of the previous reviews, but my fears were totally unfounded.

Yes, the hotel is a little way out of town, but the price you pay (either using the free shuttle service into town or a cheap tuk-tuk ride) is more than made up for by the peaceful location in beautiful gardens right on the banks of the Mekong. The view from our room was of pools studded with waterlillies and the river beyond. I can cope with having to plan my evenings around the shuttle service to be able to get up in the morning and watch a man taking his elephant for a walk along the (very quiet) road past the hotel). Although clearly if it matters to you to bein the centre of a town, this is not the hotel for you.

There is a certain faded charm to the place - and although spotlessly clean and very pretty, some areas are showing their age a bit (for example, some damaged plaster in our room - nothing major). But this is Laos, and I find it hard to believe anyone seriously visits such countries and areas and really expects to find the hotels to the same standard as Europe/USA. We were charmed by the lovely buildings and geckos that made their home on the ceiling of the reception building, as well as the birds and butterflies the frequented the gardens.

The staff were also charming and very helpful. English is not a strong point, but they tried their best and we had no problems at all with communicating what we needed.

I can see how the breakfast set-up (outside, on the banks of the Mekong - STUNNING) would be less than ideal in poor weather, but luckily the weather was fine while we were there.

Overall, I would highly recommend The Grand for a charming way to slip into the laid-back way of life in Laos.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank MrsLouloubelle
Luangprabangsmile, Manager at The Grand Luang Prabang Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
I would like to thank you for all your comment and specially about our garden and geckos, i'm very proud of my gardener team, every days they spent most of their times in the garden, just they would like to see our guest enjoy walking in the garden to see many kind variety of the flowers and butterflies, Gecko is the local animal which now quite difficult to find here, It's not dangerous animal and they also help us to reduce the number of the insects. thank again for stayed at the Grandluangprabang Hotel & Resort and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.
With my Best regards,