“Stop Thinking About It And Sign Up Right Now”

Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre
Book In Advance
More Info
$95.00*
and up
Luang Prabang Local Life Full-Day Small Group Tour
Ranked #1 of 9 Museums in Luang Prabang
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre is where the fascinating world of Lao textiles comes alive! Set in the grounds of a stunning tropical garden on the Mekong, it's the perfect place to learn more about this unique Lao art. We offer free guided tours where you can meet our weavers, artisans and even the silkworms. We also offer a range of classes in weaving and dyeing, which as our reviews show, are an unforgettable experience. Our Silk Road Cafe by the river is the perfect place to relax and enjoy our "east meets west" inspired menu, or simply enjoy the stellar sunsets with a refreshing drink.
Reviewed January 12, 2018

I read about Ock Pop Tok for days trying to decide if I wanted to sign up for a class. I just couldn't decide if it'd be worth the money or if I would even be any good at weaving. I finally signed up and I can't say enough times how incredible it was. I would give this place 100 stars if I could! If you're on the fence and reading reviews, I highly recommend you just sign up for a class right now!

I signed up for the full day weaving class. I honestly couldn't even fathom who I could possibly make a silk scarf, on my own, in a day. They do an amazing job of teaching you exactly what to do and help you to learn and complete all the steps on your own. I was the slowest one in my class, but still managed to finished my full scarf in time.

At the end the day, I came home with an incredibly beautiful silk scarf, which is the most incredible souvenir I could have dreamed of, and a skill that I'm looking forward to using in the future.

Thank you so much to Ock Pop Tok for making all my craft dreams come true!!

PS the lunch is AMAZING and vegetarian friendly!

1  Thank Emily C
OckPopTok_Manager, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2018

Hi Emily,

thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review, especially such a long and detailed one! It's truly appreciated by all of us here, especially our activities staff, who work hard at making our classes enjoyable and educational.

We are glad to hear you had a great time with us, we have passed your review over to our teachers as well. Maybe next time you will try our natural dyeing class, or simply come back for another lunch along the Mekong... ;)

Again, thank you so much for leaving a review and we hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Luang Prabang. We hope to see you soon, Emily!

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"beautiful silk"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed January 12, 2018

My husband and I and another couple spent a whole day the Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre. We started with a dyeing class where we learnt about silkworms and how dyes are made. Then we each dyed a cotton scarf with one colour and a pattern of our choice. It was like being in a hybrid chemistry/Harry Potter potion class. Fantastic fun. Then we had lunch served on a terrace overlooking the river and beautiful garden. In the afternoon we tried our hands at weaving a placemat using silk threads (2 different colours) and a choice of 2 patterns. My husband and I chose the more complicated pattern and we had a bit of a race to see who could weave the fastest - and he won!! I had no idea about this hidden talent of his! Initially he was a bit skeptical about this activity, but he really enjoyed it. Highly recommended!! The master weavers speak no English but there is an interpreter who manages the class and we easily understood what we were supposed to do. We were able to weave the pattern by ourselves, adjusting the loom threads and selecting the correct colour based on an already-woven piece that we used as a template. Very proud of ourselves. Not only have we had fun while producing a useful silk item, we are also supporting a local industry and providing income for Lao artisans.

1  Thank 737Maxine

Hi Maxine,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind and lengthy post! We truly appreciate it.

We value every review that we get, especially when guests had such a positive experience. We place high priority on our courses and the overall experience here and carefully construct our classes and workshops to be both educational and enjoyable for all - especially when our guests feel like they are playing with potions in Harry Potter... ;) Even better!

We will definitely let our Activities Team and teachers know about your review and hope to welcome you here soon again!

All the best and enjoy your remaining time in Luang Prabang,

Reviewed January 12, 2018

Very interesting explanation of the processes from silk worm, spinning, natural dyes and weaving. I want to buy many. If you have enough time I would recommend a weaving course as this looks like fun and the staff help a lot.

1  Thank Skyward37

Hi Skyward,

thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review, it's truly appreciated by all of us here! We are happy to hear you also enjoyed the selection of scarves we had, next time we hope to welcome you back for one of our courses ;)

We hope you enjoyed your stay in Luang Prabang.

Reviewed January 12, 2018

This place is where women are encouraged to learn a craft and weave material and make clothing. They are all paid a fair wage and items they have made have their names on the labels. The cheapest item was a $5 key ring.

OckPopTok_Manager, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it's truly appreciated by all of us here, especially our weavers, who work hard to make the experience both educational and enjoyable for all our visitors!

We hope to welcome you again soon!