“Definitely Worth a Visit and Art Workshop”

Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre
Book In Advance
More Info
$95.00*
and up
Luang Prabang Local Life Full-Day Small Group Tour
Ranked #1 of 9 Museums in Luang Prabang
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre is where the fascinating world of Lao textiles comes alive! Set in the grounds of a stunning tropical garden on the Mekong, it's the perfect place to learn more about this unique Lao art. We offer free guided tours where you can meet our weavers, artisans and even the silkworms. We also offer a range of classes in weaving and dyeing, which as our reviews show, are an unforgettable experience. Our Silk Road Cafe by the river is the perfect place to relax and enjoy our "east meets west" inspired menu, or simply enjoy the stellar sunsets with a refreshing drink.
Reviewed November 27, 2017

My son went to the half day batik art workshop. He thoroughly enjoyed it. We also went to the movie night. It included a delicious meal, and afterwards we sat comfortably to watch the Tom Hanks movie 'Sully' in the open air. The sound system was good too. It's really a lovely way to spend an evening.

OckPopTok_Manager, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2017

Dear Laikakee,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review here! We are really happy that your son enjoyed his batik afternoon, and that you could have a nice quiet evening with us at our Thursday Moonlight Cinema!
Please check our schedule for the weeks to come, and do not hesitate to joins us again anytime!

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"beautiful silk"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed November 24, 2017 via mobile

My mum wanted to do a class and due to her immobility chose the Batik one-day class. We were doing a cooking class & as she can't get into a tuk tuk we dropped her there by mini van quite early.

The manager and all the ladies took excellent excellent care of my mum and did not leave her side all day. I'm so grateful to them for making this such a memorable and enjoyable time.

We inquired at the shop in Luang Prabang and emailed a few times after that to arrange and it was all organised including a western style lunch. Setting is overlooking the Mekong you cannot go wrong and it was a day she is still talking about many days after.

I would encourage any daughters taking their mum to Luang Prabang to organise them a day st Ock Pop Tok.

Thanks again ladies.

1  Thank hourdy
OckPopTok_Manager, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2017

Dear Hourdy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience here. Our priority in our center is always to ensure that our guests feel at home and warmly welcomed, so I am so glad that you thought we took good care of your mum, and that we made her have a memorable day!
We would be more than happy to welcome you again anytime!

Reviewed November 21, 2017

Our group was briefed by a principal of the establishment. Very impressed by their efforts to preserve traditional methods of, especially, weaving. I spent lots of money on silk scarves for Christmas gifts!

OckPopTok_Manager, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2017

Dear Gerard,

Thank you very much for your review! Keeping traditional crafts is indeed our priority, and we are always happy when our guests notice it.
We all hope to see you again, maybe this time to try one of our hands on activities?

Reviewed November 20, 2017

Rode our bikes here and had a really delicious lunch with an amazing view. The store had lots of beautiful things, though they were far too expensive for our budget. It was still worth the ride out here though, the view is unbeatable.

OckPopTok_Manager, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2017

Dear Lobna,

Thank you so much for your nice review. We are glad to see that you enjoyed our food and our view!
You should come back for sunset, it is even more spectacular!

See more reviews
Reviewed November 19, 2017 via mobile

My friend and I booked a full day dying and weaving class and I am so glad we did. Right from the pickup in the brightly coloured tuk tuk at our hotel till drop off in town at the end of the day, the experience was fantastic. The location of the workshop on the bank of the river in a lush tropical garden added to the relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Firstly a tour to see professionals in action, the silk story and a description of the natural dying process, also to select your colours, then it's off to the garden to pick fresh indigo leaves or chop bark and grind seeds. This really is hands on. I am a complete novice when it comes to anything textiles but with the clear instructions by our guide and master I am thrilled with the results and will wear my scarf as a great souvenir of the day.

A very tasty lunch is included before starting the weaving. You get to experience the entire process, spinning the yarn, weaving the main fabric and completing a pattern. I have new found respect for the skills of the masters - but you are helped the whole way and if I was happy with my scarf I am ecstatic with my hanging.

A big thank you to everyone at Ock Pop Tok, I absolutely loved the day and would highly recommend it to anyone. Do the classes as observing may be interesting but participating was so much more satisfying.

OckPopTok_Manager, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2017

Dear Jake,

Thank you so much for writing such a lovely review here, and sharing your experience with others!
The entire team is thrilled to receive such a positive feedback, and be sure this will encourage us to keep on doing our best to have all of our guests having a great time with us, just like you had.
Enjoy the rest of your trip, and don't hesitate to come back here anytime!

Best regards,