“Ock Pop Tok Weaving Centre”

Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre
and up
Luang Prabang Local Life Full-Day Small Group Tour
Ranked #2 of 23 Shopping in Luang Prabang
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre is where the fascinating world of Lao textiles comes alive! Set in the grounds of a stunning tropical garden on the Mekong, it's the perfect place to learn more about this unique Lao art. We offer free guided tours where you can meet our weavers, artisans and even the silkworms. We also offer a range of classes in weaving and dyeing, which as our reviews show, are an unforgettable experience. Our Silk Road Cafe by the river is the perfect place to relax and enjoy our "east meets west" inspired menu, or simply enjoy the stellar sunsets with a refreshing drink.
hertfordshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ock Pop Tok Weaving Centre”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I spent a wonderful day on the dyeing and weaving workshop at Ock Pop Tok. I had the pleasure of being taught by the 'master weaver' and spent 3 hours working overlooking the Mekong River. Amzing place and well worth a visit.

Visited September 2013
OPT_Admin, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thanks so much for the review and glad you had a great time

• Korean first
Morrisville, North Carolina
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Authentic work”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Fist we had gone to their store in town where we found out about this actual place where they do their work by hand. The staff was great and gave us a wonderful tour.
Amazing work they do over there. They also offer classes but unfortunately did not have enough time to do so.
Anyone with any art interest should spend time there. The location is also very beautiful.
Would love to go back just for that.

1 Thank ATV62
OPT_Admin, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thanks for the great review and hopefully you can come back to do a class. I should just add even if you have no interest in art or textiles we're still a great place to visit to relax and enjoy our views on the Mekong!
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Well worth the experience”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I found my day at Ock Pop Tok really informative and professionally run. As an artist in textiles I enjoyed learning about the business of natural dyes and the way the ladies weave these textiles into cloth. Having the opportunity to have a hands on experience made it a very valuable experience. If you wish to find out more I have written about my day on a blog post at www.heatherssewingroom.blogspot.com, Silk Weaving at Luang Prabang, Laos

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Heather L
OPT_Admin, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Sounds like you had a great time, thanks for the great review and the write up on your blog. Always happy when a fellow textile lover has a good experience and learns something new
Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“An original and inspiring workshop”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The staff at Ock Pop Tok were welcoming and very friendly. I did the half-day weaving class and only wish I could have had longer to perfect and progress my skills. Weaving is hard work, but the professionals are always by your side to assist, and the sense of accomplishment at the end is priceless. I've written more about it on my blog at http://aroamertherapy.wordpress.com/2013/09/07/learning-the-loom/

Visited September 2013
OPT_Admin, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thanks for the great review and blog write up!
Sydney, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Something different and authentic”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I did the one day class for US$72 and I would definitely recommend it if you are a little bit crafty or artistic or just a perpetual buyer of scarves and textiles in the markets. They ran the course just for me, which was a pleasant surprise. There were two others there completing the second day of their two day course, so I still had company for morning tea and lunch.

It started with a good little tour, with the master weavers who were on site happily interacting and the guide translating questions. It was good to see the silk worms and the experts in action. I then had a session dying my own silks, choosing colours and gathering the ingredients from the garden, stirring the boiling pots, dipping and washing.

I selected and spun my own silks and then had two supervisors to help me get the hang of the loom, which overlooked the Mekong river. They chatted away to me and each other, all the while keeping a watchful eye on my efforts. I slowly got the hang of the action and got huge satisfaction from creating my own silk mat with simple pattern.

This course gives you an insight into village life, sitting and chatting at the looms while children play underneath, and an appreciation of the incredible skill of the weavers. I wove for about 5 hours in total (with a break for lunch and drinks) and it was hard work! Expect to have a stiff back by the end of the day, as well as a glowing sense of pride in your creation.

If time and your budget allow, I would recommend the two day course. You'll then end up with a scarf, which might get more use than the mat (although I'm going to try to turn mine into a cushion cover). The girls who I met were very proud of theirs and said that day two had allowed them to get into more of a rhythm.

Visited August 2013
OPT_Admin, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thanks for writing such a detailed review. We're really happy you had such a satisfying day and thanks for plugging our 2 day course! We have to agree, though most people's time is short in LP if you have the time our 2 day course is immensely rewarding for all our students and they have a unique scarf they can wear and treasure forever.