“A great community initiative”

Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre
Book In Advance
More Info
$95.00*
and up
Luang Prabang Local Life Full-Day Small Group Tour
Ranked #1 of 6 Museums in Luang Prabang
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre is where the fascinating world of Lao textiles comes alive! Set in the grounds of a stunning tropical garden on the Mekong, it's the perfect place to learn more about this unique Lao art. We offer free guided tours where you can meet our weavers, artisans and even the silkworms. We also offer a range of classes in weaving and dyeing, which as our reviews show, are an unforgettable experience. Our Silk Road Cafe by the river is the perfect place to relax and enjoy our "east meets west" inspired menu, or simply enjoy the stellar sunsets with a refreshing drink.
Reviewed May 24, 2013

On our last day at Luang Prabang, we had a few hours before our plane and we took a walk to see the surroundings of our hotel and I felt like checking out this living craft centre.

I am so glad we popped in. We were given a free very informative tour of the place by a very friendly young man and we learnt how the silk for the weaving was produced, dyed and processed. We saw the weavers who have acquired skills from their mothers who are provided employment to work for the centre which practices fairtrade.

The weaving done here helps Lao traditional weavers and is of exceptional quality. I was so sad that my luggage was full so I only bought one silk scarf. They have a shop with some very high quality hand woven, hand dyed items such as scarves, home accessories like stunning cushions and ethereal wall hangings which take one girl 2 weeks to weave, some ready made silk and cotton clothes and a hundred other items.

They also have boutique accommodation and a lovely café overlooking the Meekong. We had a very nice drink and a snack and they do a variety of international and Lao food. One interesting items on the menu was silk worm poo tea which is said to be very healthy and good for diabetes and high blood pressure but I simply couldn't try it.

I am so glad we popped in and if I am ever back in Lao, I would definitely take a craft class that they offer.

OPT_Admin, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

That's great you had time to drop in and thanks for writing such a nice review. Definitely take a class when you come back, you won't regret it. Look forward to seeing you again.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"entire process"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed April 26, 2013

A worthwhile stop on the way back from Kaung Si falls. They give you an interesting tour of the silk weaving facilities and we bought some fabulous Laotian silk scarfs from the attached store. To cap it all, you can drink Silkworm-Poo tea (tastes like Oolong-Mulberry Tea) watching the Mekong flow past!

Glad you enjoyed the experience and thanks for sharing it. We like to think it's a great place to stop on the way from Kuang Si

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stopped by one of OckPopTok's shops in town to sign up for a class and the guy there didn't know what the availability was (it was right at the end of Peemai, when schedules were uncertain), and he took my email address. I assumed I'd have to follow up, but later that day he got me all the information I needed by email. I was very impressed by the curtesy and professionalism. I took a full-day batik class and it was terrific. The setting of OckPopTok on the Mekong is lovely, and my translator was so nice, informative and helpful. He and the batik teacher sat patiently with me the whole day being very helpful and encouraging. He also kept bringing me water which was really nice as it was beastly hot! They are also very encouraging about taking breaks to walk around and see what others are working on. It's really a great place to spend a day. When i got back to my guesthouse with my batik, everyone was so impressed and also wanted to take the class! I'm thinking of going back to do a weaving class next. :-)

Only a couple things I thought they could improve: start the day off with a tour for the class participants, and provide some coffee during the day.

OPT_Admin, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Sounds like you had a great day, thanks so much for sharing your experience and it's great to hear you're coming back for more.

We always gratefully receive suggestions, so thanks for sending. Regarding the tour beforehand, we take this point on board but the issue is that people work at different paces. If we offer tour to everyone before hand we run the risk that people who work at a slower pace will have to rush towards the end to finish their piece which can lead to students walking away with a slightly negative experience which we want to avoid at all costs.

Regarding coffee, it's a good point and we're going to discuss that (Im being 100% honest when I say that this has not come up before in any of our feedback but still it's a nice thing to offer)

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I loved every minute of the two day dyeing and weaving class that my husband and I did. We began with an overall look at the process, picked out the colours we wanted, and we were right into things. Our teacher, Sengchan, was articulate in English and very knowledgeable. Once we began learning to weave, we each had a master weaver, as well as Sengchan, to help and teach. My weaver, Chan, would guide with a gentle touch on my hand. We could not fail. We came away with two silk scarves with intricate design that we were proud to have produced -- from picking the plants for dyeing all the way to the weaving while sitting on an open-air platform looking out on the Mekong river. Fantastic experience. I recommend it to any fabric lover. PS: lunch is included in the price and is wonderful.

OPT_Admin, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write the review- we really try and encourage people to do the 2 day workshop for the best experience so reviews like this are very helpful. Hope to see you again soon.