“This is what I came to Lao to do” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Explore Luang Prabang Backroads Biking Tour
Ranked #2 of 23 Shopping in Luang Prabang
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre is where the fascinating world of Lao textiles comes alive! Set in the grounds of a stunning tropical garden on the Mekong, it's the perfect place to learn more about this unique Lao art. We offer free guided tours where you can meet our weavers, artisans and even the silkworms. We also offer a range of classes in weaving and dyeing, which as our reviews show, are an unforgettable experience. Our Silk Road Cafe by the river is the perfect place to relax and enjoy our "east meets west" inspired menu, or simply enjoy the stellar sunsets with a refreshing drink.
Bangkok
“This is what I came to Lao to do”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

I loved every minute of the two day dyeing and weaving class that my husband and I did. We began with an overall look at the process, picked out the colours we wanted, and we were right into things. Our teacher, Sengchan, was articulate in English and very knowledgeable. Once we began learning to weave, we each had a master weaver, as well as Sengchan, to help and teach. My weaver, Chan, would guide with a gentle touch on my hand. We could not fail. We came away with two silk scarves with intricate design that we were proud to have produced -- from picking the plants for dyeing all the way to the weaving while sitting on an open-air platform looking out on the Mekong river. Fantastic experience. I recommend it to any fabric lover. PS: lunch is included in the price and is wonderful.

Visited April 2013
OPT_Admin, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write the review- we really try and encourage people to do the 2 day workshop for the best experience so reviews like this are very helpful. Hope to see you again soon.

• Korean first
Jan Juc, Australia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great way to learn and support local communities.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We visited this beautiful place by bike, it was a very easy ride from town and well worth the visit.
On arrival we were greeted with a smile and a glass of cold water each whilst we waited for one of the staff members to show us around. The mini tour was great, we learnt about the silk making process all the way from the worm, to the dyeing to the weaving of the product. It gives you a real appreciation for all the effort and love that goes into making beautiful creations you see around Luang Prabang. During our tour we saw the weaving course in action, what a wonderful experience that must be, to make your own creation in the traditional way to take home, we wished we had more time to do this. Next visit...
The lovely cafe/restaurant has great views over the Mekong river, is very peaceful and professionally run. Great spot to visit for lunch or a drink even if you don't have time for the weaving course. The friendly manager was on hand for a great chat, giving us more information about the work they do at Ock Pop Tok and facities they have available such as a few private villas and transport to and from town.
Great for a visit, don't miss out.

Visited April 2013
Thanks for such a nice review. We hope to see you again soon at one of our classes, which we're sure you'd really enjoy.
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Must-Do Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I spent a month traveling in Thailand and Laos and my experience here was the highlight of my trip! I took the half day weaving class at the beautiful and peaceful Center outside of town. I got to choose my colors of naturally dyed silk yarn, spin them onto the shuttles, and weave my own placemat-size piece.
The act of weaving was so centering, and the feeling of accomplishment in creating a beautiful work of art on the traditional loom was wonderful. The women who worked with me were patient, helpful, and fun.
My table mat is now displayed beautifully in my home and it's better than any souvenir I could have gotten. Next time I would do the full day weaving class and be involved in the dying process.
Highly recommend!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank stelladotdiva
That's great to hear and we really do aim to be the highlight of people's travels around Laos. Thanks !
Cranbrook, Canada
“You have to do this!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I had the most wonderful day with Moon, a former monk who speaks perfect English. He guided me through the natural dyeing process and how silk is made (2 half day courses), and he also taught me a lot about the weaving process. While we worked he taught me so much about the culture and religion of the area. I highly recommend this experience to anyone looking for something unusual and productive to do - scarves you dye are included in the price. A site filled tuk tuk ride through a small village takes you there. The restaurant is of the highest quality as well - full day courses include lunch but 2 half day courses don't. Yom Kip soup was delicious as was the berel leaf tea. You can try silk worm poop tea if you are adventurous. If you have more than a day you can stay right at the site. It's nice to do something that supports local women who perfect and further their craft through this centre. Prices of products are high but after a course you know why - it's very labour intensive.

Visited March 2013
Thanks for the review, sounds like you had a special time at OPT and thanks for mentioning our restaurant too.
Dundowran Beach, Qld Aus
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Well run craft centre”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

This craft centre runs a good weaving and dyeing course.
My partner did a half day dyeing course and enjoyed it greatly.
She came away with silk matreial and silk yarn whichshe dyed herself for the start picking the berries, crushing then and finaly dyeing.

Visited February 2013
OPT_Admin, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for the nice review, especially as it was on behalf of your partner. Glad to hear they enjoyed the experience.