“Great place to buy books for the village kids”
Review of Big Brother Mouse

Big Brother Mouse
Ranked #1 of 29 Shopping in Luang Prabang
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Help eager young Lao students practice their English through informal conversation. Learn more about their lives and culture, and tell about yours. (Free 2-hour drop-in practice, 9:00-11:00 am and 5:00-7:00 pm.)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We went and sourced " village packs" of kids books written in Lao to hand out to kids in the remote country areas. So much more helpful than lollies! A great organisation really working hard to improve literacy in Laos.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"positive impact"
"great initiative"

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We discovered Big Brother Mouse early in our 10 days visit to Luang Prabang...which meant we could visit many times. I went many mornings to "teach english" - which really means have a conversation with local Lao young people - such a great experience! They are very engaging and interesting in learning...english, about other countries and people! I was thoroughly impressed - and inspired - by everyone I met and have the great honor of speaking with. I was told that the average age in Luang Prabang is 19 - I met boys and girls between 15-22. I also was able to meet and converse with a novice monk - I learned as much (if not more) than they did! You can go meet the young people between 9-11am and 5-7pm everyday...it is definitely worth the time and effort - at least once! You can also buy books published by Big Brother Mouse to take home (written in Lao and English) and to donate. You can also sponsor a village book party, and even attend it if you have the time! I intend to ask friends and family to help me sponsor a village book party for my next birthday...I know this experience will stay with me forever! Thank you to all I met - and to Big Brother Mouse for the amazing work you are doing!

2  Thank A_Pair_of_OWLS
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We loved attending a book party we sponsored, at a local village.10 of us ( 4 adults 6 kids) spent the morning joining in with village kids, helping them learn to hold a pencil and complete an activity book, join in the action songs with all the kids, then play games and listen to a story, before giving every child a book written in Laos. It was an amazing experience.
On another day we spent 1.5 hours speaking English with delightful locals who are working so hard to improve their English conversation skills.
Great work Big Brother Mouse!!!

1  Thank PipFef
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Big brother Mouse is in the old part of LP town and easily found. Coming from the night market end on the main street take the frist turn left after the Three Nagas. We went from 9 am to 11 pm to read/talk with young lao students so they could practice their English. It was so much fun. There were 8 volunteers and 13 Lao students. They have varying understanding and capabilities with English but this is very very worthwhile. Our 15 year old wanted to go back again and did so from 5pm to 7 pm two days later. She loved it. The staff at the centre are a bit off hand and appear uninterested but as soon as the students start to turn up it all happens. There are a number of books there for use but you need to go through them to get something suitable forthe student youare with although many of them bring their own books. A pen and writing paper is more than useful to help with sounds and phrases. we met one young lad of 19 and he was so determined to make a go of his life and further his education it was very humbling. This was very worthwhile just as a people experience let alone what you may be able to give to the students. Please visit at least once!

2  Thank Poomby
See more reviews
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My time at Big Brother Mouse was a highlight of my trip to Laos. Big Brother Mouse opens up the shop and allows local students to practice their English with foreigners from 9AM-11AM, and 5PM-7PM daily.

I spent a lovely evening and morning conversing with many local Lao students in English. There were students with varying levels of language proficiency, but the best thing is that all of them were very eager to learn the language. The local students are incredibly hardworking and have such a thirst for knowledge. They came with notebooks and pens, ready to take note of the new words that they learnt during the day. Every teacher's dream student!

I managed to help explain certain words to them and get them to form sentences with each word. I also got a glimpse into what life as a local was like, after speaking to high school/university students and even novice monks. Learning was really a two-way street.

Big Brother Mouse also sponsors book parties where they take children's books to villages in Laos. This is in line with their goal of promoting literacy and the work that they do is very meaningful. If you have the time, do buy a book, sponsor a book party or spend a few hours at Big Brother Mouse. It is always great to be able to give back!