“Rewarding contact” 5 of 5 bubbles

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Rewarding contact”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Guaranteed reward in dropping by this wonderful shop. We were directed here after talking to a concierge and spent some few hours talking and assisting with students English comprehension and spoken word. We spoke to university students and I helped a student with a job application. It was a chance to speak to Lao young people with them not being in the service industry. Also most visitors would purchase some books which go a long way to assist rural poor in their education.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Tony S

seattle wa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best experience in Laos!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I just left Big Brother Mouse and felt compelled to write a review straight away... It was awesome! The kids are amazing and funny and so eager to learn. I wished that I could've stayed longer than two hours. If you want to meet some local kids, learn about their lives, and feel that you made a difference in their day, BBM is the place! I just left in the best mood and can't wait to go back tomorrow!

Visited April 2013
UK
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“The BEST place you'll visit in Luang Prabang.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Big Brother Mouse is NOT an attraction. It's a fabulous local run initiative to help Lao people learn English.
I met students of varying ages & skill levels who all just wanted to learn more & improve their English language skills.
I met a whole bunch of other travellers too & even got invited to a class taught by an American guy who teaches novice monks & local kids English - for no fee!! Brilliant.
I went along to the twice daily 2hr sessions for most of the week I was in Luang Prabang. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my time travelling.
I got to talk with novice monks, young adults studying at college & school kids all of whom were friendly & entertaining. I even helped out with homework!
Time is all you need to give here, unless you have a bit of cash spare in the budget in which case by a couple of books & see a face light up!
Priceless.

Visited April 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great way to meet and help locals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I went to BBM the last day I was intown, and wished I had come here since the first day. Twice a day 9 to 11 and 17 to 19, you can sit for a couple of hours with locals and help them with their english. I spent the time talking to a young monk novice, it was a great way to get to know more about his life in Lao, as Luang Prabang, as nice as it s, it is dfinitelyjot a place where you get to see the real Lao life. You can give donations and help BBM in many ways.

Visited March 2013
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Awesome chance to meet and help some locals trying to learn english.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went here during our time in luang prabang. We read about it in lonely planet, and being teachers thought it seemed like a great way to help out.

There are 2 times in the day that they run English sessions, 9-11am and 5-7pm. We turned up at 9am but no one was around wanting to learn, unfortunately, so left. We then came back at 5pm. For a while there was more english speakers than Laotians, but after 530 more started to turn up - students in high school, some in college, some learning English outside of school and a few novice monks. The levels of spoken and understood English vary wildly, but most are very keen to learn, to share with you and to learn about you and your life. They appreciate your efforts. It made me realize how crazy the English language is - some words and pronunciations are very hard to explain, especially to one girl who was working her way through a giant Lao-English dictionary!

They also sell books (starting at $1.25) written in Lao or Lao and English. You can donate these for them to give to village children, or you can take them to give as presents on your travels. Many people in Lao have never owned a book so they really appreciate it!

You can also sponsor a book party, where you go with them to deliver books to a whole village. Looks amazing! This charity does great work. Check them out online.

1 Thank Halz84