“One of the best experiences in LP!”
Review of Big Brother Mouse

Big Brother Mouse
Ranked #3 of 23 Shopping in Luang Prabang
Toronto, Canada
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“One of the best experiences in LP!”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Big Brother Mouse was a must for my girlfriend and I as we read a lot about it in Lonely Planet. We are also teachers, so it sparked our interests. The students at the center are so gracious and eager to learn!! Make sure you come between 9-11am or 5-7pm. Also, offer to buy them books! They're only $20,000kip (about 2.50USD) and the students will cherish it forever.

The students we were talking to worked at a restaurant, The Blue Lagoon. We went there at night to surprise them and they were so happy to see us.

Sometimes a friendly face and your time are more valuable than dollars and cents, and no place is that clearer than here at Big Brother Mouse.

Visited August 2012

Viborg, Denmark
“This is a must to visit”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

If you like to know about the cultur and the people you meet in the country you visit this is a perfect place.
I visited the place two days and talked with young people. They told me about there life, there hopes and there dreams for the future.
They are all so interested to here about other culture and contries.
And must of all. They help children in the small villages in the provins getting books. Maybe there first book ever. Books are a scarce in Laos

Visited July 2012
Los Angeles, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A Must Do”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I spent three hours at Big Brother Mouse and had an amazing time. If anything, I learned more than the students I spoke with. I spent three hours conversing with about 6 boys (ages 14 to 23) and learning all about their lives in Laos. They were incredibly curious and eager to learn about America, in return. This was probably my favorite thing that I did in Luang Prabang and I highly recommend it!

Visited May 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“BEST THING TO DO IN LUANG PRABANG!!!”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

This is the best thing to do in Luang Prabang if you are an English speaker. It's your chance to get to know the people of Luang Prabang, and do a good deed at the same time. Lao people who want to learn English come in on a voluntary, drop-in basis between the hours of 9 - 11 a.m. and 5 - 7 p.m. English speaking tourists also go on a drop-in basis. Somehow, it just seems to work. New tourists show up every day through word of mouth - we heard from other tourists and now we're passing it on. We liked it so much we kept going every day. The people who come are mostly students - some want to be English teachers, some Engineers, some are monks, some want to work in tourism or just think English will help them to succeed. You learn a lot about their lives and may develop a new friend in a foreign country. We were so impressed by their enthusiasm - it's such a pleasure to work with people who are eager to learn and appreciate what you can teach them.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Travelerxowkety
Alberta
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“So worthwhile!”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

This is such a great thing to do when you're in Luang Prabang. As others have said, you can drop in from 9-11am and 5-7pm to help practice English. Most of my 'students' were between the ages of 17-21. They are SO eager and really value the time learning from foreigners. I learned so much about the Lao youth through my conversations with the 'students'.

The books are also great - I purchased three sets and took them with me on my way to Phonsevan, Laos. I stopped at three Hmong villages with my driver and dropped them off. The teachers were very appreciative and it was great seeing the kids looking through the books.

The Big Brother Mouse staff are doing a fantastic thing to help the people of Laos. I wish that I had sponsored a book club but didn't have the time to do so.

Visited May 2012