Tha Heua Me Guest House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$140
$107
$188
$74
$130
$100
  • Breakfast included
The Apsara Rive Droite(Luang Prabang)
$103
$86
$87
Trip.com
Maison Dalabua Hotel(Luang Prabang)
$63
Sokdee Residence(Luang Prabang)
$14
$13
Agoda.com
All reviewsdouble roomhot showerlimited englishplace to staynight marketthe riverguesthousewoodlaos
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Generally a good place to stay. I've been staying mostly in hostels on my travels so this place was a step up but if you're looking for luxury it's probably not for you.

Location is fine. Right on the Mekong River and walking distance to all central attractions. Rooms are spacious, clean and the guest house is generally well maintained and has a really nice wooden interior.

My only gripes were firstly the bathroom was poorly designed. It's a walk in shower/toilet and when you have a shower the whole floor gets soaked so it becomes a bit of a hassle if you then have to go in and out of the bathroom for other things. Also, the owners and workers at the hotel speak virtually no English so you don't get any restaurant tips, travel tips etc though I have to say with a bit of work I was able to get any important messages over to them.

Would happily go back again but may do a bit of shopping around first.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I stayed here after getting off the slow boat from Huay Xai. We arrived late and a few of us went with people we'd met to where they were booked in. There were not enough rooms for us all and the manager suggested I try this place. For a similar price, the Tha Heua Me Guest House was much better than where I'd tried to get in initially.

I was there in the off season, so I managed to get a room for relatively cheap for my initial 3-day stay. I ended up extending this to 6 days and basically got my last night free. The staff do not speak much english, but are as helpful as they can be. It is a short walk to everywhere and I spent plenty of time wandering around the town.

There is no fridge in the rooms, or breakfast provided, but there are plenty of cheap cafes a short walk away along the Mekong. There is also a laundry nearby (turn left out the front , when you hit the road, cross it and there's a lovely lady there and it's often ready the same day), as well as a travel agent if you need to book buses/flights.

The rooms were decent with air con and fan, tv, big clean bathrooms, and it's a fantastic stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Great guest house, just outside the main drag so very quiet yet within easy walking distance of the attraction, markets, Wats, etc. Very friendly and helpful staff. Good value for Luang Prabang. Exceptionally clean. Front rooms are $5US dearer at $35 but big and airy with balcony. Well recommended

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

We literally stumbled across this place after arriving from the airport and taking a short tuk tuk ride into town. We looked at several guesthouses along the river and this was the place we decided to stay - it was so nice we stayed 5 nights instead if 3!

As it was low season in July we got an amazing room rate of 130,000 dong a night for one of the standard sized double rooms. The owner showed me the huge double room facing the river but wanted 200,000 dong for that one. Fantastic value as no one else was staying there - online it was $30 (peak season price) per room so we got a great 'walk in' rate.

The rooms are tastefully decorated, aircon works well there's a fan as well and a TV. Shower in the wet room worked well and had lots of hot water. Room was cleaned everyday and towels and bedding changed every other day. There was free tea/coffee and water available. The owner was friendly (family run joint) and pointed us to where the laundry service was round the corner (only 8,000 per kg) and where to rent bikes (opposite there is a bunch of mountain bikes which I strongly suggest you get if you plan to explore further than just the tourist street as the roads turn into dirt tracks and are very rocky). The agent round the corner also books tours e.g. Kuangsi waterfalls they were very good also were the cheapest for the VIP bus to Vang Vieng & Vientiane. Recommend them!

There's a fantastic restaurant opposite the guesthouse called Lampache. We ate at a lot of places but Lampache was by far the best, good value not expensive but good portions of excellent Lao/Thai and western cuisine. The staff are also really lovely.

Really enjoyed our stay at this guesthouse, easily walkable to all points of interest in town.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank TripTommie
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My brother and I stayed here for five days in July and were extraordinarily happy with our choice. The rooms with air conditioning were a bargain comparatively to other guesthouses in the area, and the wonderful family who owns Tha Heua Me was constantly ensuring that everything was clean and comfortable. It's just a short walk from the bustle of the night market and as well as great restaurants/temples/services, but it's located on a quiet, peaceful road that overlooks the Mekong. We couldn't have asked for much more!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends