“Fantastic place to stay”
Review of Halolao Villa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luang Prabang
Halolao Villa
Ranked #106 of 259 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Fantastic place to stay”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

A friend and I stayed here for 3 nights and loved it. For $30 a night we each had our own room, a view above the morning's alms procession (so we could watch w/out being intrusive), a deck in the back, kitchen and spotless bathroom with a wonderful warm shower. The decor was simple, but beautiful and the owners were wonderful - always there and helpful with any and all questions. I actually looked forward to coming back every night! I will encourage my friends and family to stay here on their next trip. I took a peek at the double room as well and it was equally as nice!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and is such a pleasure coming "home" to a large veranda out back where we enjoyed a few glasses of wine, separate bedrooms, a large shared living room, and a kitchen that we never used but loved having there. The staff is very helpful and friendly. One of the owners talked with us on the veranda one night about the business... very interesting. This is not a luxury resort by any stretch but it had all the comforts of home and I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We stayed here for two nights. One night we moved here from the Halo-lao homestay down the block when there was a loud party and for a second night a week later when space had filled up for the lao new year. We paid $25 a night, and this was a night when prices were higher everywhere in town because of the holiday. We stayed in a suite. It was very basic but adequate and a good value, i think for only $25 a night. The bedroom had a bed, closet, and nightstand, the second room had a large flat screen, dvd player, and two large chairs. The bathroom was outside and shared with the room next door, a little strange. And there was no hot water in the shower. But it was so hot out that it didnt bother me. We were in the back of the hotel and somewhat isolated from the loud noise and parties going on on the street for the new year.

The biggest con was the uncomfortable, hard mattress. The beds at the sister hotel, halolao homestay, down the block were much better.

I dont know why one reviewer paid $125. That seems outrageous and he obviously overpaid by a lot, that is unfortunate. The good thing about not booking a place in advance is being able to bargain and have a look around for a good deal. I would not spend more than the $25 a night considering the basic accomodations and shared bathroom.

I would recommend staying at the sister hotel, with a shared bathroom and more comfortable beds for half the price.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor in the back are more private and better sheltered from street noise and mon...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I had a bad experience, but it may not apply to everyone. I booked 5 nights in advance on Agoda based on their uniformly positive reviews for this hotel. (See below about their reviews.). I was traveling solo and the only choice was a two-room suite for $125. Agoda's ad mentioned kitchenette and a comment (left on the site) indicating it was like a whole apartment. I was shocked when I saw how basic it was. One room had just a bed and tiny night table (no place for clothes). The other had a bed and a clothes cabinet. No desk, no TV or radio or alarm clock or phone. (Phone could be useful to call the "front desk," which is actually a shop so you have to go outside to see if someone is there who speaks English.) Nothing aesthetically pleasing added. Basically just a bed. I thought I was splurging paying $125 and was shocked to see this. The kitchenette is shared. (Someone took my breakfast milk, perhaps by mistake.) There is a (nice) TV OUTSIDE the room, which would only be a disturbance if someone did use it, but it's in a non-air conditioned section and wasn't used. The hotel is new, and management just doesn't seem to know how to run a hotel or what people would want.

What the others say is true: good location, good a/c, good internet. In fact I wouldn't call the morning alms-giving a negative but a strong positive since you can view it from the upstairs room near the street or just go out and see it. I got up early for that, and otherwise the place was very quiet and sleep was no problem at all.

The place is new and has possibilities. I would say it just isn't ready, and if it charges $60-70 for the 2 rooms, that would be okay until it learns how to provide the proper amenities. I would have been fine with this if I had paid half the price (which would still have been more than I paid in other places in Thailand as well as Laos, none of which disappointed me.) I had to ask for a small desk (nice to have the internet but good to have a place to sit with your laptop to use it) and even had to ask for soap. Both were provided. One of the doors didn't seem to lock properly and the manager couldn't figure it out either, so I just used the other door.

Clearly it wasn't a good choice for one person and is meant for more (like a small family). But even then, it is very basic and bare, and I would think a family probably would want a TV (I didn't care) and a place to put clothes in EACH room, not just one. Ad says "room service," but I guess that means the rooms are cleaned, which is not the usual meaning of "room service." No breakfast was included in the $125 price, but I did know that in advance.

When I posted a mixed review on Agoda (which had previously had all positive reviews and which attracted me), it was not published. So I wouldn't trust Agoda's reviews. Agoda left up on their site the one that gave the wrong impression that it was like an apartment with a kitchen.

If you see my other reviews, they are mostly positive. So just judge for yourself.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank biophiliac
Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Pros:
1) Clean, tidy, cosy room without any unnecessary decorations;
2) Air conditioner provided;
3) Large bathroom, sufficient water pressure;
4) Common areas/utilities provided such as living room, dining room, study desk, kitchen and a large balcony to relax or to hang your laundry;
5) Wifi available with acceptable speed;
6) Friendly and helpful staff;
7) Tour service provided (charges depending on type of tour);
8) Airport pick-up provided with charge;
9) There is a shop selling authentic Lao noodle soup next door;
10) Restaurants within walking distance;
11) Wat Xieng Thong is across the road;
12) Quiet neighbourhood;

Cons:
1) Absence of convenient stores within the neighbourhood;
2) Temples wake-up drum as early as 4:00 a.m.;

Room Tip: This guesthouse apartment is suitable for family or a group of friends not exceeding 5 persons.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Phyfy
Vientiane, Laos
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Nice staff in friendly environment, beautiful rooms in nice villa wellsituated in the old town. Some early morning disturbances from alm-ceremony.

Room Tip: Room on backside away from street less noice
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family