“Well worth the trip - we cycled”

The Living Land Company
Book In Advance
More Info
$118.00*
and up
Full-Day Luang Prabang Rural Farm Experience
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Spend a morning on ourLIVING RICE FARM,Come and let us show you how rice is grown on our farm, experience the life of a farmer and try your hand at some of the activities. Or just view it all from the comfort of our traditional Lao rice house balcony, which is surrounded by rice terraces and our organic vegetable farm. All the family can join in and there are great photo opportunities. Our converted rice barn offers simple but comfortable accommodation for two, overlooking rice fields and mountains. Relax on the terrace and sample some of our home-brewed rice wine, walk to the ruined temple through our rice farm, be pampered with a massage then have afternoon tea, visit the local weavers who make our farm outfits before joining our farm family for a game of petanque or rattan ball! Watch or join in the preparation of the Lao dinner then dine with our farm family before you retire for the night (maybe after a Beer Lao or two?). Wake up to a brand new day and a typical Lao breakfast before joining the Rice Experience for the morning
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Well worth the trip - we cycled”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We happened to notice the sign for this farm whilst travelling in the tuk tuk to the falls. So the next day we hired push bikes and cycled out here - I guess it's about 8km from Luang Prabang. It was well worth the effort we had a great time and its a good idea and a good cause ( it's a co- operative of 7 local families and they are trying to preserve and demo traditional farming methods). You can help pant rice and plough the fields with the Ox - but you do need to book for this ( its a half day but unfortunately we timed out). We mst pitched up on our push bikes and they showed us around. There was no entrance fee but we made a donation. It was well worth the cycle ride out in the rain.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Nikki M

• Finnish first
  • Thai first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“I planted rice in LP”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

It is a really different experience. We learned about how to grow rice and played lots, it is perfect for anyone who likes getting dirty in the mud! Mr. Lee, the guide, is a really nice guy and made the activities fun.
I tried hard to make a bamboo bird but couldn't , maybe you will be better, it is difficult.
We tried sugar cane juice, sticky rice and some tasty rice snacks with a great view of the fields and the friendly buffalo, Susan!

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Rigelia
Hobart
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“The best thing we did in two weeks in Laos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

We .loved this experience. Booked though our hotel based on the trip advisor reviews. Living land sent the village tuk tuk to collect us,great greeting on arrival, excellent guid who spoke excellent English and had a great personality especially clicked with the kids in our party and the grandmother. We were shown and participated I the 14 steps of growing rice,including ploughing the mud behind Susan the bullock. Kids loved wading in the very sticky mud. Watched and worked with the blacksmith, visited the organic egg garden and had a lovely rice lunch. The kids who'd not wanted to come, were not wanting to leave and begging for a return trip the next day. Really made us appreciate the back breaking work the villagers do In the rice paddies and how easy life is for us in comparison.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank LizWHobart
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

This day is a fantastic experience, you get a great insight into local people and how they work. You get to go through all the steps of making rice including walking through the mud fields with their water buffalo, Susan! The guides are really knowledgeable, friendly and fun. I was in a group of 4 which meant we all got lots of chances to take part and be hands on. Great trip and must see when in Luang Prabang.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank Steph_r_231
Singapore, Singapore
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Excellent hands-on experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

My visit to the Living Land rice farm was one of my most treasured memories of my trip to Laos. I spent a lovely morning with Laut Lee and his team. They are friendly, engaging and passionate about their work. The hands-on experience was a great way to remember the 13 different steps of planting and harvesting rice. I particularly enjoyed standing in the muddy paddy planting rice. Ploughing the field with Susan the water buffalo was a highlight and I still keep the little bamboo birds that they made for us. My visit to the farm opened my eyes as to how hard it is to grow rice and I'm certain that I'll never see it the same way again.

There were many photo opportunities and the staff at the farm take great pictures. The farm is clean and although I didn't apply any repellent, I was not bitten by any mosquitoes during my hours there, so don't be worried (in case anyone is concerned). They also provide nice traditional farming hats to protect your heads from the blazing sun. I'm amazed at how well the hats worked.

The meal at the end of the tour was hearty and delicious. Thank you for the day well spent, Laut Lee and team! I highly recommend spending time here if you can.

Visited June 2013