“Average cooking course if you are really interested in learning..”

Tamarind Cooking Courses
More attraction details
Owner description: Tamarind Restaurant in Luang Prabang offers day and evening cooking classes in open air pavilions overlooking lily ponds just outside of town. Participants in day classes are taken there after a visit to the fascinating main market, where they are introduced to the unusual and intriguing ingredients that are the basis of Lao cuisine. From there it is off to Tamarind Gardens to cook Lao dishes in the authentic Lao style. Evening classes are shorter. Individual work stations allow you to follow the instructions of an entertaining and informative Lao teacher, whilst a bevy of staff clean up after you. The sessions end with a sumptuous meal, where you eat the fruits of your labours! Transport to and from Tamarind Restaurant and recipe book all included. Vegetarians welcome.
Reviewed March 22, 2012

My girlfriend and I were disappointed with the cooking course at Tamarind on the day.

Ok, maybe we had high expectations because we had done two very good cooking courses in Malaysia (Pearly Kee) and Chiang Mai (Basil Cookery Course). Maybe the teacher was not inspired that day.

Anyway; on the day we went we did not enjoy it as much as we expected. The group was too large (around twelve people) so we got little help from the teacher and it also meant that it was always crowded around the table with the ingredients. They should have given us the ingredients directly to our working station. We did not eat all that we cooked...mainly because it was not that good.

On the good side we did get our own work station and the hygiene level was good. The location is pretty. The back-packer crowd seemed to enjoy the course. So maybe you will enjoy it if this is a one-off course that you are doing in your back-pack trail.

2  Thank hola_bg

Reviewed March 21, 2012

In a gorgeous out of town location surrounded by ponds and gardens, we had a wonderful day.

Reviewed March 14, 2012

Class was kept funny by a very comedic and capable instructor. All participants got to make each dish and they were very accommodating as I am a vegetarian (provided me with "square white fish" took me a bit to get that the cook was jking and meant he would supply tofu!)

Reviewed March 10, 2012

Have nothing but good things to say about the class. Very professional. Other participants commented that they had done a course elsewhere the previous day. The was no comparison. Tamarind was miles in front.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

This is the fourth one-day cooking school that I've done in SE Asia in as many months and they have all ranged from very good to excellent. This one was possibly the best one. The chef, Jai, spoke English well, was very skilled at cooking and teaching, and added some humor to the event, too. The recipe book that we received in the end was very high quality, too.

If I *must* find a criticism, it's that the meal wasn't enormous. Usually I try to arrive very hungry so as to have room for the copious eating during class. I left the class feeling like I'd had a very large meal, not like I'd exited an all-you-can-eat Vegas buffet. (Maybe this is actually a benefit!)