“Great comfy stay”

Ranked #33 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Melbourne
“Great comfy stay”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Now I loved Luang Prabang. Such a beautiful calm little city.
And Meung Lao is the perfect place to stay. I won't harp on too much about the exceptional location, plenty have been said on this topic and its all true. The location is fantastic. I wouldn't stay anywhere else cos many of the other guest houses are based altogether so you will get a lot of street noise, especially as there are many young backpackers travelling there and they tend to get noisy at night after a few drinks...

No breakfast included wasn't a big deal as there are plenty of options nearby and everything is dirt cheap.

The rooms are big and comfy, we got the upstairs room right at the front it was great cos we had the I compromised corner view. Very lovely place. Highly recommend.

As always, things are never perfect and my usual gripes are with the bathroom.... Weirdly positioned shower that seemed to get everything wet. Not enough racks/ hooks on the wall that was away from the water and poor drainage. It was tricky having a shower cos the water was running too fast for the drain to cope and as there isn't a bathtub to catch the water.... It became tricky to manage the water flow so that it wouldn't flow outside of the bathroom! Also the water temperature was hard to maintain and control. Hot/cold, hot/cold.... It just couldn't make up its mind...

By yes, cute little place, with great staff. Not all spoke English well but they do try to help where they can. I like that.

Room Tip: Choose and upstairs room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank maehem

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New Zealand
Reviewed February 1, 2013

A lovely place to relax, just between the Mekong and the morning markets.
Down a quiet alleyway, but a few moments from the night markets and Sisavangvong Road.
It's a beautiful colonial building which has been refurbished, and all the nine rooms are wonderfully private. So good that they offer two free waters each day, and free refills from the foyer, along with the big urns of hot coffee and hot water to pop your tea bag into. Also the bananas, and the homemade tasty salty/sweet rice cakes are awesome!
Hot shower, comfy bed, shutters, ceiling fan, air con if needed, and it all makes for a wonderful stay.
Just make sure you let the night staff know you will be out late - I was out till 2am (being New Years Eve 2013), and found I was locked out, with the gate bolted! (The gate is locked at 11pm I believe).
No info like this in the room guide!
Luckily managed to wake them up (sorry about that!)
Do take their advice re the almsgiving, had the best experience, just off the main streets - and they will tell you which are the best ones only the locals go to.
Do NOT buy anything from the people selling food to give to the monks for the almsgiving.
Also ask about the silversmith along the Mekong, I bought some beautiful handmade special pieces.
Enjoy Villa Meuang Lao - it truly is a gem.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank JaniceRoz
George Town, Malaysia
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We arrived at night and the tuk tuk at first got a bit lost as this little local family-run hotel is situated in a lane with a small signage along main road. Hoever this hotel is very well located. To my delight, I found out that the Night market (which stretches for almost 1km selling all the local and tribal weaving stuff and endless foodstalls ) is just behind this hotel, about 3 min walk. And also in the early mornings the morning market selling fresh foods, fish, meats etc is also just behind this hotel, 1 min walk.

Even though I dont get the view of the river to walk to the Mekong river is only 4 minute down the lane.

The Hotel is family run by local Lao and it is very clean indeed. It is quiet with no frills but service is friendly and wifi is available. The room I got is upstairs at the back and it is very clean big bed with nice white curtains, good air conditioning and clean toilet. Cable TV and I manage to catch the LIVE telecast of Australian Open !
I stayed two nights here and it is very reasonable priced. Depends on your travel style. As for me, I am most of the time out of the room wandering every corner and trying out almost every possible food I dare to eat, so I need a clean comfortable quiet hotel in a strategic location.

They lack in facilities like swimming pool, gym etc etc.... but for the price I paid, i highly recommend to stay here.

Room Tip: all rooms are fine. all the rooms are set at the back, and they are quiet
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank peterpatterpot
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2013

This place suited my wife and me perfectly for the five nights of our stay. The location, as I believe most reviewers have said, is perfect. You are twenty-five yards from the beginnings of the 'morning market;’ twenty-five yards from the main road skirting the Mekong; very close also to the area of the 'night market' . . .in fact you are close to virtually everything in the old part of the town. I booked this place through Agoda, which always promises a better deal than they actually deliver, for I paid (merely!) $40 a night for this place; but I see that others have at times got it for less; and a booking website based in Laos seemed to be offering rooms here for $28. Anyway. . .it's not expensive, even at its Worst.

And what do you get for your money?: A perfectly clean, quiet room in a very solidly built, newish place with only nine rooms; a fridge; a safe; a TV; shutters on the windows to get perfect blackness at night, if you want it; plenty of hot water; a massive firm bed (too firm for me, actually); inexpensive laundry service; and a friendly staff some of whom speak very good English. The young man on the front desk during the days we stayed, Auno Luk (which I have probably misspelled), was thoroughly charming, kind and helpful.

I would certainly stay here again. The fact that they don't serve breakfast seemed to us in the end like a Plus -- restaurants are numerous, and we didn't want to get hung up feeling obliged to eat in any one place. And though you don't have a kettle in your room, you do have one in the little lobby out front, which is open from about 6:30am to about 11:00pm or so, where they provide free coffee and tea and bananas as well as hot water. Excellent place!

Room Tip: I believe the rooms on the upper floor would be sunnier than our room downstairs. You sometimes fel...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EscapistNever
australia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

A lovely new, clean and well positioned hotel.It is family run and the manager speaks very good English. He is very willing to help with all your questions and his staff are helpful and friendly.
The room are large with a good bathroom. Beds are comfy and there is a fridge with out-side price drinks. It is walking distance to the river (100m) close to the night markets and the morning markets are at the top of the lane. Table and chairs on the verandah of the second floor for you to relax and have a nice drink after a full sightseeing day.Coffee, biscuits and bananas for you to enjoy at the front of the hotel. All of this at a great price. I would stay again here if I am in Luang Prabang.

Room Tip: The top corner room with two singles beds was very large with many windows.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank wandererAustralia
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is a family-run hotel and it was the perfect place in Luang Prabang! They only have 9 well-maintained rooms. The room we got was very spacious and clean! The staff was awesome! They were very helpful and very nice! The hotel is very, very close to both the riverside and the main street. It's located in a small street in between the riverside and the main street. So during the sunset by the Mekong River, we went out of the riverside. The Wat Xieng Thong is also accessible via the riverside. All else, we'd go out of the main street. And towards the main street from the hotel, you'd pass by the morning market, which is temporarily set up in the area only in the morning, and resumes to be a normal street throughout the day. The main street is where everything is (e.g. Royal Palace Museum, Phousi Mountain, cafes, travel agencies, tours, money changes, monks for the morning alsmgiving, Joma Bakery Cafe, night market, etc.). This hotel is located in a peaceful part of Luang Prabang, away from - but super close - to the main street. The hotel has a free wifi and water station by the reception area. We also had to leave our luggages at the reception area during our last day and our things were taken care of pretty well(check out time was at 12noon but we weren't gonna be back at the hotel until 6pm). We had a great time at this hotel and would recommend it. :)

Room Tip: Sightseeing/Attractions Tip: The hotel is located at a quiet street in Luang Prabang, but is nonethe...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Villa Meuang Lao is a great family run establishment set back two streets from the night market! I found this to be a great location once you get to the Main Street ( night market street which is Sisavangvong road) you have the night market! then during the day to the right ( 1 or 2 blocks ) is the bakery for breakfast or lunch (joma's) and to the left is the national museum and then the travel agencies, restaurants, and bars for many blocks/streets)
As I was constantly going in either direction... I felt villa was perfectly situated!
I slept very well here. also nice was the 2 bottles of water provided daily and wifi works perfectly!

For me, The place was like a little oasis once you enter the premises.

Two things to mention... i arrived at night (bus from vientiane) and Had a difficult time finding the place. Its a street on the left, pass lotus guest house and luang prabang residence, make a left, then walk about 10 steps and another left...villa is about 20 steps on the left! I wish i had a map of where it was because i asked a few shop owners and they didnt know. So print a map before hand. Second is that as it is two streets from Main Street. Late at night.. There are not so Many street lights if any and is dark. I traveled here solo and as a female I felt completely safe and this was not an issue for me.

When I checked out I mentioned I was headed to the airport and as they were going there to drop off a friend they invited to bring me too! Wow! I was so impressed by the friendly hospitality during my entire stay!

Will definitely pick villa meaung lao when in Luang Prabang!

• Stayed December 2012