“Thanks Jenny and John”

Aham Corner Guesthouse (Aussie Sports Bar & Guesthouse)
Ranked #67 of 257 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Thanks Jenny and John”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

I like to hit the Pizz a bit and this place originally appealed to me because I was travelling as a solo female in a country I knew little about. I reckoned that it would be good to be able to knock a few back and be very close to my room. One box checked.

This place is great.

The beds are, relative to the rest of SE Asia (aside from Pullmans and Tune hotels) very comfortable. The bed linen is good quality. I really noticed how good the bed and the linen were when I came back for a second visit after visiting some of the more more remote areas of northern Laos. The only thing better when I returned than hearing John say that my room was ready was when I actually went to bed that night. Heaven.

If you've been travelling for awhile, this place will be a relief. You get a good bed, good linen, hot shower, reliable wifi and friendly service without any undertones or cultural misunderstandings. There was no worry that I was being put onto some provider in order to get a kick back or tea money. John and Jenny were impartial in the advice they dispensed. It was my wellbeing they were concerned with.

John and Jenny helped me with things apart from my basic accommodation needs. I was given great, quick and convenient advice on getting some antibiotics, purchasing DVDs, excursions, other restaurants, cooking schools, etc etc. They even arranged a very early morning tuk tuk driver for me.

The value of knowing that things will be as planned is priceless. From the relief of having my room ready on my return from remote areas to the relief of of having a tuk tuk driver being there when I asked and only expecting what was agreed (especially when you can not take the currency out of the country). It is all good and a taste of home.

In short, staying at the Aussie Sports Pub and Guest House was probably better than staying with family. Thanks, Jenny and John.

Room Tip: I stayed downstairs. I do not know what the upsatirs is like.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank michelle c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I moved to this guest house after spending my previous night in a pretty nasty place just out of town. After a heavy New Years party I was in need of some quality comfort and a decent meal...
John the owner and his staff provided exactly that.... My room on the 1st floor was big,clean,had a big hot shower, good wifi,tv and air con...these rooms upstairs also have a really cool balcony area that runs along the two front sides of the building looking out over the street,a perfect place to chill out.... The restaurant here also serves some delicious food,and lots of it too.... And if its desserts that you're into, then just try one... They are awesome!!!!!

Room Tip: Pay a little more and go upstairs...!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank youngblood2001
perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

After the 2 day slow boat from Houay Xai arrived at the aussie sports bar, john the owner i think could tell we were exhausted and get us straight into our room.. we got one of the cheaper rooms downstairs and it was awesome and comfortable(made me wonder how good the rooms upstairs are) Straight into the proper rain shower which was an unexpected luxury. Decent sized flat screen tv with hbo movies, cnn, bbc and on epl night had 4 games showing on different stations concurrently! Bed was abit softer than the average se asia hotel room and along with the 2 sets of doors to block out light/noise and modern quite aircon made for a good nights sleep! My only qualm would be that breakfast is quite expensive once you add in a basic bacon and eggs and a juice or coffee for 2 people maybe even if breakfast isnt included a discount could be offered to people staying at the guest house. Food at the bar was invariably good western food with large portion sizes and make sure you get a dish with the homestyle chips! Staff were all very friendly and felt safe and secure (they offered to take my hired moto into the bar after lockup behind where security guard slept!) Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The cheaper rooms downstairs are great value!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jimburns4u
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I am staying here now and it will be hard to leave tomorrow but will be Back in a few days.I'm staying upstairs in there guesthouse and its so clean and comfortable the bed is great free wifi which works even for a clear Skye call.the host John and he's wife have been so helpfully I couldn't thank them enough. There staff are all friendly and very honest The beer is the coldest I think in Asia served in big ice buckets to keep it cold,not really into eating Aussie food when traveling until I tried the food down stairs in the Aussie sports bar the town and bar close early so it's just a treat ! chilling upstairs with a cold beer on your privet table and chairs with books to read and swoop.this place is worth a look!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank buddlefish
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

And stay at the Aussie Guesthouse.

Home comforts while traveling abroad are hard to come by and after nearly four months in S.E. Asia, I had all but given up on finding any - then I walked into the Aussie Guesthouse with their beautiful, spotless rooms, breezy wooden porch, and smiling staff. Proprietor John, despite running a restaurant downstairs (that whips up some DELICIOUS plates - especially the Chicken Parmesan and the breakfast sandwich with BBQ sauce) was endlessly helpful with dining recommendations, pointing us in the direction of some unforgettable establishments. Our plan was to stay for no more than three nights, but after one day of the Aussie Guesthouse's charm, we extended our stay to eleven nights and loved each one.

A wonderful place for weary travelers to relax and recharge. Thank you, John and the Aussie Guesthouse for helping us regain our travel gumption!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jmeinhardtstl
Dien Bien Phu, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

found this place by accident.... met the manager/owner Johnny Crozier... had a great feed of Aussie tasting snags, a cold beer and watched some live rugby. Was nly there on a quiet afternoon, I imagine it is quite lively at niht and Johnny's a good bloke..... drop in if you're templed out in Luang Prabang

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NEV T
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

We moved to this guesthouse as the rooms were a much better quality than others we had stayed in in town, and were cheaper too. The location is great, your not far from anywhere, everything is withing walking distance in the town. The rooms are also really good, for $20 you get a clean room hot shower, big tv, and aircon, and though the breakfast is not included it is pretty amazing! What makes this place really special is the owner, he was so helpful and friendly, I would without a doubt stay here again!

Room Tip: around $20 for a room downstairs and more for a room upstairs but the downstairs rooms are really gr...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends