“Great stay”

Ranked #4 of 260 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
tasmania
“Great stay”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stayed here in the last week of June & enjoyed our time here. We had a deluxe room above the reception area. Considering what you pay here you get great value for your $. The room was clean, bathroom shower had great pressure. The pool a reasonable size for the amount of rooms at this resort & kept spotlessly clean. The garden area is really lovely & spreads right down to the river. The bamboo bridge was still there which made it about a 7 or 8 minute walk from hotel to town. If the shuttle time doesn't it's only about $5 so no big deal. The cost of food & drinks both at the hotel & in town was extremely cheap, we honestly found it hard to spend our money here. The only fault we could find, which is possibly due to the terrain is the poor internet connection. There were occasional misunderstandings due to the language barrier but nothing that wasn't easily rectified. Staff need not feel bad if they aren't sure they have understood the guest, we felt bad that we couldn't speak any of their language! Visiting the waterfalls was our highlight of the stay. The owner allowed us to use the bathroom of an empty room the day we left as we had a late flight & the room we were in was booked, we were extremely grateful for this courtesy. They refused extra payment for this even though staff had to then re-clean the bathroom.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I was thinking of the glowing review I'd leave even before my stay was over. But what sealed the deal for me was an incident this morning after I had checked out. I was already at the airport and waiting to board when I realised my wedding ring wasn't on me. A frantic call made to the hotel and quick action from the concierge got me nicely on the plane with my wedding ring! Indeed, the staff at the reception today 30 June (am sorry I didn't get the chance to ask his name) acted fast and was truly a godsend.

Upon reflection, the hotel was nicely furnished and clean. The bed was very comfortable (stayed in another hotel in LP and that bed was hard as a rock) and room tastefully done up. The hotel is given a touch of class because of its attentive staff. Every request and instruction were executed to perfection (with a smile). I particularly liked the short but concise briefing that we had when we checked-in where we were told of the hotel facilities, wi-fi password and shuttle service the hotel provides.

My only grouse would be the distance to the main street where the night market is. Yes living away from the hustle and bustle is a good thing and it was my intention when I booked to stay here. But having to take a tuk tuk to reach the main attractions can be quite troublesome. The hotel does have a free shuttle at certain times but having more flexibility to planning your day is great too.[A tuk tuk from the hotel to the Main Street usually costs 40,000 kip]. There is the use of the free bicycles but unfortunately my mother doesn't ride one. Otherwise, your stay could also be pretty self-contained to the hotel. Breakfast is provided for and the food at the restaurant was really good. There are shops in the neighbourhood where you could get groceries and snacks too. I imagine the bicycles would be really great to travel to town in!

Room Tip: Get the room on the second floor which has better views. No lifts though.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Xinrong Y
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights during our trip and I think I can honestly say that this was the best hotel we stayed at in SE Asia, really lovely. I don't think I can fault it. The rooms were great and clean and we didn't see any bugs. The location was beautiful, right on the river bank with sun beds looking out over the river. The pool was lovely, would have liked it to have been colder as it was really hot while we were there... and the poolside did get really hot so walking around was bit painful at times! Was a fair drive from town, but it is in a quiet area and there is a free bus into the centre... and it is actually only a short walk over one of the close footbridges.

The staff were all really friendly and helpful, and the manager was always about and eager to help and make sure everything was perfect.

Breakfast was good, everything we wanted/needed. We ate in the restaurant 1 night and the food there was relatively reasonably priced and very nice.

Would really recommend this place to everyone, a genuinely beautiful, tranquil, relaxing, romantic place to stay. If we ever make it back to this wonderful part of the world, we will be staying here again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Aurora, Canada
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend chose My Dream as a little getaway from backpacker life on my birthday, and what a wonderful gift it was.

Rarely have I received such excellent service in my life, with friendly and attentive staff always at beck and call. Further, the rooms are lovely and simple, with a stocked mini fridge and an incomparably comfy bed.

Then there's the pool. Sure, it's small, but what a way to beat the Laos heat on a bright afternoon. With beautiful gardens to relax in too (with a cocktail or two) My Dream is an oasis in Luang Prabang.

Note: Don't be misled by the tattered motel-esque sign. We almost were scared off. Once you walk down a bamboo-shaded walkway you'll breath a sigh of relief.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CamSmoth
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights and can't speak highly enough of the place. Beautiful new rooms with everything you could want, amazing pool and garden down to the river. Wonderful brekkie. Incredible staff (everyone I dealt with was exemplary). And the use of the free bikes made a huge difference. You guys are awesome, don't ever change :)

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sassimo123
NZ
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We booked for 4, stayed for 5 - and found 3 our lots of guests were also extending stays. It was near full every night in the low-season.... which says it all.
With only 23 rooms it was very personal, which is what we like.
Location is 15 minutes from down town by TukTuk and costs about US$4, but we could walk 300 metres one way and walk across the temporary each season bamboo bridge which arrives right by some of the top 10 restaurants and cafes in town, and close to the bars in the next street, or take "the old bridge" 500 metres the other way, by foot or bicycle, which arrives in town nearer the night market. So foot is actually faster than going all the way around to the vehicle bridge.

The manager Mr Somnuek gave us a good introduction at check-in and taught us hello and thank you in Lao, which he said would take us a long way - and just two phrases did get a lot of positive response around Luang Prabang and Laos in general.
Nothing was too much bother for him or staff.
They arranged tours, advised on dos and don'ts, made alternate suggestions.
Although the restaurant is meant to do lunch from 12 to 2pm, it seems always open for dishes beside the pool, or up top level in the restaurant.
The air con coped with the 40 plus heat, and wasn't too noisy. (some are really loud in Lao and Cambodia)
We only found two small issues in our stay.
One was that despite their filtering/advising of tours they promote, the elephant tour was not well done; and the Naga Mekong dinner/sunset cruise could have had better food. These were outside agencies, not the resort, and Mr Somnuek was so concerned that we weren't 100% happy with the Mekong cruise he asked if we would have time to write a report.
We didn't get around to it - sorry.
The other was that with the temperature hitting 42 one day, 40 the next, and never below 36 during our stay, the pool was SO warm, and the poolside SO hot, we retreated to our rooms.
We reckon if they could fit a shade sail over even half the pool area to drop the temp a degree or two and provide more shade in that area, we could give the place a 110% stamp :)

Staff: Were just lovely - or better. One young lady who serves restaurant all day just charmed us with her gentle manner and kind service. The 2nd in charge guy who is usually at reception was like a time and motion machine. He never stopped doing SOMETHING. Collating dockets, arranging things, the most industrious reception guy we saw in 5 weeks travel - with good english and of course, very helpful.

Food - was very good. We never got a mediocre dish our entire stay.

We'd choose this place again for our stay over more expensive, larger resorts right in town.

Room Tip: Just choose main building or bunngalows on price, and if in main building, decide on whether you wan...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MethuselahNz
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for three nights in the suite bungalow in May and loved it. Staff very friendly and thoughtful, restaurant very pretty and food was authentic.

The room was excellent with the most comfortable beds. Did the bamboo bridge once but mainly used the hotel transport or cheap local Tuk Tuks. There is some noise from the bars across the river but for us it was minimal. If I had one request it would be that the bar would serve a nightcap when the hotel bus comes back from town - the Manager is a charming man who could not be more thoughtful. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2014