“Lovely relaxing hotel”

My Dream Boutique Resort
Ranked #4 of 272 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We arrived after a ghastly two day Luang Say Mekong river cruise. The approach through the dusty roads and then the stop outside a warehouse was worrying but once down the entrance path all was revealed. It is a lovely hotel, pleasantly laid out. The room we had was adequate, pray for a quiet neighbour. It was well appointed and everything worked well. Breakfast was excellent. It was cold on our visit but they made sure we had a charcoal heater nearby. It was a quick walk into town over the bamboo bridge. Staff were very attentive and polite. We used the hotel shuttle service to go in to town in the evenings; it worked very well. Recommended.

Room Tip: I would pay a little more and get a room closer to the river
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,113)

Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed in a garden bungalow which was very comfortable. It was a hot time of the year so the good airconditioning and pool was extra welcome. We ate at the restaurant and found the local food to be excellent. The tour desk was great in organising a Mekong River trip, and the airport shuttle worked well. We used the free hotel bikes to explore the old town. The staff went out of their way to assist us with any request.

Room Tip: The lower garden rooms are just a few steps from the riverbank, which forms the rear boundary of the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RobM441
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Your arrival at this Hotel can be a bit of a surprise as you drive down a typical local road and come to the entrance which is just an opening on the side of the street. However you walk down the path beneath a canopy of bamboo and suddenly the reception and dining area is there ahead of you.
We found that all the staff were extremely attentive and helpful at all times and in particular the Manager Kio is outstanding. Also, coincidentally with the same name, the young female waitress, Kio, is extremely efficient and is at your beck and call. The owner of the Hotel, Somnuek Bounsa, comes around the dining room most mornings introducing himself to all tables and making sure that you are happy and satisfied.
The breakfast was limited but with fresh cooked eggs of your choice together with the other dishes on offer there was more than enough to satisfy one and all. Lunch and dinner menus offered a variety of dishes all of which were extremely tasty and well presented.
Our accommodation was one of the Bungalows in the gardens below the Resort and it was extremely comfortable and roomy. All rooms are air conditioned and also have ceiling fans.
The Hotel is located on the opposite side of the river to the main town of Luang Prabang. For most of the year it is only a short walk to the Bamboo Bridge to cross the river but there are a total of about 100 steps up and down the banks to the bridge. During the wet season the bridge is taken down as the water level rises. If you do not like the bridge then the Hotel offers a free Shuttle Bus a few times during the day or there are Tuk Tuks which are very cheap to take you where you want to go.
Every morning the Buddhist Monks walk down the street outside the Hotel collecting Alms. First around 20 of the local Monks walk past at around 5.45am and then approximately half an hour later a group of about 50 from the countryside walk through. If you would like to offer Alms to the Monks the Hotel supplies you with a basket of sticky rice and one of biscuits for US$10. They also supply a rug and cushions for you to kneel on and a staff member stays with you to assist and take photographs if you wish. We really enjoyed taking part.
Incidentally the ten days that we were there we never saw a mosquito!
To all at My Dream Resort our heartfelt thanks for looking after us so well and you can rest assured that should we find ourselves in Luang Prabang again we will be staying at your Hotel.
Very best wishes to you all, Richard and Barbara

Room Tip: We would strongly recommend the Bungalows for size and comfort.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tricky111
Reviewed May 24, 2014

I recently stayed at this boutique hotel in Luang Prabang, Laos. It was recommended to me by good friends. The hotel is on the river and is within easy walking distance to the centre of the township via with the bamboo bridge or the old bike bridge. The hotel offers free bicycles which are good to ride early in the morning to see the locals offering food to the monks or the people getting ready for the day. The owner and manager offers good advice on restaurants and attractions around Luang Prabang. It is a quiet hotel with a good pool, good rooms and good breakfast. I was happy to stay here.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Con_Thai
Reviewed May 20, 2014

This was my 4th time in Luang Prabang and it remains a small jewel in Laos. I cannot think of a better place to stay. It is one of those special small hotels with an intimate feeling and a great deal of charm. The rooms are lovely and well thought out no matter which category you chose. I stayed in a deluxe room with a gorgeous view and then I also stayed in one of the bungalows where I am writing this review and I have to say for someone who travels enormously this has to be one of my favourite rooms in any hotel around the world. However, this is not a grand opulent pretentious hotel and thank goodness for that!! Good breakfast, small but refreshing pool and beautiful grounds. This is one of those hotels that I hate telling people about because it is already mostly booked most times of the year because of the raves on TA. Eco friendly and perfectly marketed for those conscious of the environment. If you are lucky enough to get in this is the perfect spot in Luang Prabang. It is true that it is on "the other side of the river" and I stayed on this side last time and still feel it is the best way to experience Luang Prabang because you are just a bit away from the tourist area. Great staff. Fantastic management.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank hotelmonster88
Reviewed May 11, 2014

When my transfer van from the two-day "slow boat" pulled up in front of the My Dream Boutique Hotel, I was sure there had been a mistake. The little cloth sign is unimpressive, it read "My Dream Resort" (these parts are famous for multiple hotels with similar sounding names), and we were on scuzzy-looking residential street across the river from town. I reluctantly agreed to go check at the front desk.

Walking through a little palm-canopied "tunnel" with little pot lamps lighting the way, I was welcomed by staff to a different world. Over the next few days, I'd learn how much more there was to be happy about here.

My standard, single room was small but very comfortable - extremely nice bed with 4 large pillows; air-con, ceiling fan, mosquito netting over the bed (although I never saw or heard one, it's a nice touch). Nice large, private deck (although my room, 114, had an unimpressive view of other rooms). The bathroom was clean and spacious, with large, plush towels, though minimalist amenities - you'll want to have your own conditioner. There's a built in hair dryer.

The mini-bar offers beer and soft drinks at near-giveaway prices in comparison with western-style hotels. Most items were a buck. Room safe, FRESH FLOWERS. Terrific welcoming fruit basket - if you're not familiar with Rambutan or Lychee, be SURE to try them - explosive, wonderful flavor.

The pool is nice, and quite refreshing, but after you've had a dip, walk down a few more steps and you'll discover the huge and beautiful gardens (including an organic herb section). A couple of open-air "gazebos" look out over the river, and you can stretch out here with a cold beer or snack.

I generally avoid hotel restaurants - for a lot of reasons, not least of which are exorbitant prices and depressing quality. I'd had the included breakfast, which was very nice, and included lots of fresh fruit, omelets and eggs to order, etc. So, I decided to try lunch as well. What a surprise. First, a complimentary little bowl of peanuts - not ordinary peanuts, mind you, but small, explosively-flavored little peanuts quick-fried with garlic, lemongrass and a tiny green leaf that was one of the most lovely tastes I've ever experienced (alas, the staff was unable to translate the name to something recognizable in English). Fried spring rolls that were gossamer thin and glass-crispy - dipped in home-made recipe sauce - exquisite. The kitchen seems always busy, and everything here is absolutely fresh, with flavors, literally, out of the garden. Finally, I had a traditional larb gai (finely ground chicken) salad with heaps of fresh garden lettuce and mint springs, tiny hot peppers on the side, and an incredible mixture of greens, served with fresh tomato and cucumber slices. And a large Beer Lao. The house specialty dessert (again, complimentary) was a creamy pumpkin puree covered with an indescribable (but green) vegetable puree with a singed sweet crust. Scrumptious. Total bill: $10.

In other words, My Dream Boutique would be worth coming to for the small, unpretentious, open-air restaurant and terrific service alone.

Together, with rooms starting around $50 a night, and a free van shuttle to town three times a day (tuk tuk service anytime is only $2) it's an unbeatable package, and I cannot imagine the pretentious resorts outside of town that charge upwards of $300 a night, offering anything near that in true value.

Of course, you'll be exploring. Use a free bicycle. Or, for a real "adventure" - turn right outside the hotel and walk through the residential area (it's perfectly safe) to the intersection with the next busy street. You'll pass tons of street-food vendors - I'm a street-food veteran with a cast iron stomach, but if you're a little less bold, turn right again and keep walking toward the iron bridge. It's not for cars - only for the ubiquitous scooters. BUT (and here's where the adventure begins) walk to either side for a truly breathtaking crossing on the wood-slatted footpath. At night, you'll get spectacular views of the river and riverside lights, VERY high above the water. Emerging at the other end, on the right side, immediately past the bridge, there are some terrific local eateries. The FIRST on the right (who can tell the names) offers tables overlooking the river and features bar-b-que duck and chicken. Ask the friendly owner for the English menu, a big Beer Lao, and proceed to enjoy the scenery. If you prefer to people-watch, take a table up front, and you'll get no end of young teens out for a night on their scooters, zipping by.

My dream, indeed. I can't wait to return for a longer stay.

Room Tip: I recommend rooms 101 to 103 - they are on the ground level, overlooking the gorgeous garden. Other...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

I will start this review by saying that if I could give 2 different star ratings for day and night at this resort, the day would score top marks. It is absolutely beautiful, very clean and neat, the staff is brilliant and very friendly and the grounds are superb. The pool is to die for in hot weather! The breakfast options are great - the only thing I'd change is that the juice and milk is kept cold, but in April, I'm not sure that's possible! The facilities and tours on offer are great. The shuttle to the night market is very convenient.

The problem comes at night. There is a bar/restaurant on the bank of the river opposite the resort and at night, it turns into a nightclub with music blaring out over the river, directly into the resort. I couldn't get to sleep until after midnight on the first night. The second night was even worse, with not only the nightclub music from opposite, but from 2 house parties directly adjacent to the resort of 2 other sides. It was awful and I couldn't even tell you what time I fell asleep that night. I complained to reception, but they were unable to do much since they were private parties (this was on a Tuesday & Wednesday night!). So my star rating for the nights would be 1 unfortunately - which is really unfortunate, because I'm not sure what the resort can really do, but be warned if nothing else.

My expectation of a hotel when on holiday, at the very least, is to be able to get a good night's sleep and relax and it unfortunately didn't quite meet these expectations, despite the gorgeous grounds and immaculate rooms.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsay R
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Dear guest,

The Management of MY DREAM BOUTIQUE RESORT appreciates your satisfaction with the amenities and services our hotel renders and the good comments for them at day time. We feel extremely sorry, however, for the disturbances you were suffering from at night time. We know about the noise emissions of the disco across the river, but unfortunately we cannot do much about it. Particularly at the time of Lao New Year there are a lot of parties in the vicinity of the hotel till late at night and people are enjoying themselves. We are working on a technical solution to the noise problem and think about a more effective isolation of the walls of our bungalows. We do hope to solve the problem to a certain extent that way.

Best wishes from