“Pleasant... but didn't quite hit the spot”

My Dream Boutique Resort
Ranked #4 of 259 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Pleasant... but didn't quite hit the spot”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I feel a bit churlish as I write this, but My Dream didn’t quite live up to the high expectations we had raised after reading previous guests’ reviews. We had high hopes and it is very pleasant, but not quite the peaceful oasis we were hoping for to celebrate my partner’s 50th birthday.

I had wrongly got the impression it would be in a slightly more rural and quiet location, but that the proximity of the bamboo bridge over the river to the old town would also make it relatively pleasant and convenient walk to the major sights.

We didn’t realize the bridge is seasonal and that at this time of year with the river still high, you have to go the long way to town, via the motorcycle bridge. It’s not a big issue but it meant popping in to town was a bit more of an expedition than just walking across the bridge and needed a long hot walk through the outskirts of town, a short bicycle ride or a tuk tuk to make the journey each time.

We borrowed the free bikes from the hotel and cycling in Luang Prabang is very easy - so it’s not a major issue - but it meant planning a journey into town rather than just popping in and out at will. Also, the bikes were free and consequently heavily used – they do a sterling job trying to keep them in good working order, but if you are going to do a lot of cycling it may be worth shelling out a bit extra for something a little more sturdy.

The hotel is on the banks of the Nam Khan and does have a lovely private garden, but it definitely still in town and surrounded by other shops and houses. It is also, unfortunately, opposite a row of fairly noisy riverside bars that were playing music until quite late into the night. This is not the fault of the hotel, but the barn-like construction of the room and the thin walls meant the room worked as an echo chamber and the music from over the river kept us awake late at night.

The room itself was pleasant, but nothing special – a bit bland and lacking in character, but the bed was perfectly comfortable and the air conditioning efficient and welcome. We paid extra for one of the Garden Bungalow rooms but they are a bit dark and weren't that private, with people frequently walking around just outside the windows and the view not as good as those higher up, with a balcony view of the river. Also annoying was the tiny mosquito net, which only covered half the bed and was effectively useless as it gaped open unless you stayed perfectly still all night.

Breakfast was good and staff attentive and helpful. The open air dining/reception area is very pleasant and at the top of the terraced garden, which means it has a good view over the garden to the river. There is a very small pool on one of the lower terraces, which was a bonus - not really big enough to swim in, but good for cooling off after a hot walk or cycle ride. They were busy re-tiling the pool area while we were there, which meant some noise and building work, but they were doing there best to keep the disruption to a minimum.

Useful places to know about nearby and on the same side of the river are the Dyen Sabai Restaurant and Pizza Phan Luang – both of which we tried and have very good food. If you are interested in arts and crafts, it’s also worth taking a bike and following the road outside the hotel as it hugs the river bank for about 15 minutes - this takes you out to the weaving village of Ban Xang Khong where you can buy textiles and paper direct from the makers at much more reasonable prices than in town.

Altogether it’s a very pleasant place and if it weren’t for the noise at night and the seasonal bridge issu,e we probably would have felt more relaxed and stayed longer. As it was, we moved on after two nights, rather than staying the full five we had originally booked. Management were very good about us cancelling our remaining stay and were very anxious to know why - it would be unfair to them to say we were unhappy with the place but we just found a place that suited us better.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying the extra for the garden bungalows - they are a bit dark and not that priva...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank paperduck
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear guests,

The management of MY DREAM BOUTIQUE RESORT feels very concerned about your disappointment with what our hotel promised you to offer while you were staying with us. However, we do not have an influence on the construction of the seasonal bamboo bridge as it largely depends on the water level of Nam Khan River. The location of our hotel is in the outskirts of the city but not too far from it and it is certainly no more the rural and an entirely calm place that it used to be some years ago. This is due to the economic development of the town and the nuisance of loud music at night is at least partly due to the rising number of young tourists who want to enjoy themselves until a late hour. We have already complained about it but without any lasting success. We are sorry for that.
We are trying to improve the privacy of the garden bungalows and will certainly look into the matter of the size of the mosquito nets which are tailored to shorter Asian people. We will try hard to get bigger ones to meet the size of Westerners.
Anyway we are glad to know that you at least partly enjoyed your stay with us.

The management of MY DREAM BOUTIQUE RESORT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Calgary
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

The staff were friendly, the rooms lovely and the breakfast was tasty. The only thing that could have been better was the location, it's only a 10-15 minute walk into the center of town but you have to walk across a dark planked bridge

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank cara94
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This is a stunning hotel across the bridge from central Luang Prabang. Stylish but traditional, the communal area focuses on a small, quiet swimming pool and a gorgeous garden with relaxation bungalows on the bank of the river. Rooms are gorgeous, the breakfast fantastic and the hotel will even lend you a free bike to explore the area on. I'd highly recommend this place to anyone visiting the area. Luang Prabang itself is fantastic ...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hong Kong
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I am currently staying at this hotel and although I love the surroundings and location I have to say that I am not impressed with the service. It is not easy for me to write after reading glowing reviews from other tourists.
I feel that I really have to get myself seen to be noticed. Like this very second. I've just sat down in the restaurant area to watch the sunset and the waitress brought me a glass of water. I asked her for a menu and she brought it straight to me. Then she sat behind her counter and watched the world go by. I waved several times to get her attention but nothing worked. So, from her bringing me my water and menu to me getting see it was approx 40 minutes. There are 4 other people here so not exactly rushed off her feet!
Another example is when I came back from a long hot morning of bike riding and went for a dip in the pool. Now I had water, so was not quite dehydrated just yet but I was hoping for a nice fruit cocktail but nobody came to the pool area or even peered over thebalcony to check on the guests. A missed opportunity as I would have happily lrdered a drink and snack.

Reception staff rarely say hello. Nobody has even asked how my day was....just simple, courteous qualities one should have in a service industry

Room Tip: I am in a garden bungalow which is nice and spacious and super airy in the day
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear guest,

We have acknowledged your complaints with great regret and sincerely apologize for all inconveniences that you met with due to a certain degree of incompetence and neglect from our staff’s side. We may assure you that we shall look into the matter immediately and improve our services and attention as well as we will refresh the traditional politeness of our Lao culture in order to render full satisfaction to our esteemed guests during the time of their stay in our hotel.

The management MY DREAM BOUTIQUE RESORT
Klang, Malaysia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Love this hotel the most when we travel to Vientiane - Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang. Even though not located at the area near the night market at LP, we find that its not an issue due to the satisfaction to this hotel.

We were served by pandan cold drink and mango with honey when we checked in the hotel. The hotel room is so romantic with our twins bed covered by mosquito net and fully equipped with hair dryer, umbrella, shower set and etc. They even serve free fruits inside our room. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful when we asked for a dining set to eat our supper after we bought from the night market. We were also able to locate cheap Beerlao from the grocery shop just right opposite of the road of our hotel.

Certainly will go back to this hotel if happens to travel again to LP!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Zephyr7lee
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

We chose to stay at My Dream Boutique Resort for a couple of reasons - its appearance and its location, bolstered by the fact that it had many favourable reviews.

From the moment the driver of the hotel shuttle bus greeted us at the airport and drove the short distance to My Dream we knew instantly we had made the right decision.

The resort is tucked away in a village street just over the old iron bridge which takes you into the town centre. The bungalows are well-appointed and spacious and the bathrooms have a huge walk-in shower and a separate bathtub.

Breakfast is available in an open-sided dining space just next to Reception and the hotel shuttle is available three times a day (on request) to drop guests off at the Post Office in town. There are also a couple of appointed pickup times in the evening for the return journey but any one of hundreds of tuk tuks in Luang Prabang will drop you at the old bridge for 20-40K kip and you can walk back to My Dream in less than 5 minutes.

The appeal of this place lies in its gentle charm and the friendly professionalism of the manager, Keo and his staff. Staying here felt like we had spent time with friends and to pass through the bamboo archway as we went out and returned each day was akin to leaving and coming home. Luang Prabang offers a wide range of accommodation options but for quiet relaxation, comfort and genuine Laotian hospitality, My Dream Boutique Resort is a stand-out winner.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mark F
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Being touristic as it is, Luang Prabang has no lack of hotel offer. But this small hotel on the outskirts of the city center is certainly a good choice! The 10 min walk to the center doesn't matter, because it stands in a quieter part of the city. But the environment created inside (like a tropical garden), the much friendly staff and the very nice and comfortable rooms make this hotel a very good choice in LP! The three nights me, my wife and our friends stayed there were very pleasant, while visiting a city that has a charm of its own!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends