“Great peaceful retreat”

Ranked #4 of 264 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Great peaceful retreat”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The hotel is located accross the Nam Khan river from "downtown" LP. You can either cross the pedestrian "bamboo bidge" in the dry season, take a tuktuk for a few $ or bike to cross it. What we did was staying in the city "center" for a couple days, and then change to this hotel, just to rest and hang out.

Pros:
- beautiful hotel, nice grounds.
- We chose a $95 bungalow and loved it - it was peaceful, romantic and beautiful. Great bed (the only one in our journey through Laos that wasn't hard as a rock!) and great shower.
- nice pool
- good breakfast with made-to-order eggs
- free bikes for guests
- helpful and attentive staff
- free airport pick-ups

Cons:
- Although very peaceful, we found that there were many backpackers bars opposite the river. They were very far but you could hear the music! It was such a pity, but we managed to sleep well, we just put on the TV for a while. If you are fussy about noice, you will find that pretty annoying.
- They didn't have an à la carte menu for dinner and a cocktail menu would have been great for the sunset and the pool area as well

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Holland
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Maybe not quite our ultimate dream but very pleasant even so, with modern two storey wooden buildings arranged around a tiny swimming pool and a garden going down to the river. The reception and breakfast area are open to the pool but seem to catch enough through breeze. Our clean room had a decent sized stone floor bathroom, a large covered balcony and the usual amenities. For the price it's a good, quiet and relaxed place to be, our only criticism being that it is in no way near the centre of town, with the closing of the old bridge to anything bigger than a bike it's a circuitous five dollar tuktuk ride away or a long(ish) hot walk. The hotel does have a shuttle van though and were nice enough to give us an unscheduled ride when we needed it. Pleasant and helpful front desk staff.

Room Tip: Upstairs, looking down towards the river would be best
1 Thank Walpy
singapore
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stayed 4 nights at My Dream, changing rooms once as it was fully booked.

Room: The room was very clean (cleaner than similar resorts I stayed in Msia and Thailand), spacious and well-equiped. Mini fridge, kettle, hair dryer, toiletries, hot and cold tap/shower, hand/face/body towels, even a heater for deluxe rooms, extra quilt, many hangers, different light settings, mini safe etc...

Setting/location: Free airport transfer both ways was provided in a clean mini van, which was great. It is a short 10 min walk to the bamboo bridge (short cut into LP town), you need to pay 20, 000kip once to cross the bridge. The surroundings are local wooden houses with locals living next to My Dream. My Dream is set amidst a pool, and a lovely garden overlooking a river opposite LP town. I could see the sunset from my balcony window :)

Service: First class - I've travelled as a solo female to Msia and Thailand before but the hospitality and service here really exceeded all expectations and blew me away. Some places ignore you because you are alone as opposed to a couple or big group but the staff and esp the manager at My Dream made an effort to chat with me daily and ask how I was. On my 1st day here, the manager was extremely patient in answering ALL my questions (alot!) and throughout my stay, assisted with every one of my requests and queries. Excellent service, thank you very much!
The staff are also proficient in English and other languages and are very friendly, helpful and approachable.

In all, I enjoyed my time at LP in large thanks to the wonderful staff at My Dream and the lovely resort. I would STRONGLY recommend this place to anyone keen to visit LP.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 2nd level, i stayed in 201 and 307 and both were fine. Buy repellent as the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 8, 2013

By taxi it seemed a ways out of town--but surprise--it was a delightful ten minute walk over the bamboo bridge--a cultural experience in itself.
We spent three nights at Lotus Villa in the city (fantastic) and then had three nights at My Dream.
Peaceful--space-beautiful grounds! The service at every point was exemplary. We sat in the small thatch platform for a sundowner- the manager walked the 100 m to bring us bug spray and light a mosquito coil under the platform. Nice breakfast and great pool and grounds.
We stayed in a bungalow, which was spacious and a Scandiavian/Laotian fusion of white and bleached woods--soothing and beautiful.

A great location to see Luang Prabang without being in the busy heart, but also so near that you miss nothing. Be sure to take their bikes and ride the 2 kilometers to the Craft village by the Mekong. You will see 5 Wats in your travels and find some beauutiful treasures to take home--including the warm memories of smiling and waving locals.

Room Tip: If the budget allows--take a bungalow for an idyllic, spacious garden retreat.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This place is amazing. If your after peace and tranquility book here. It's on the other side of the river, accessible by either the bamboo bridge, or using the hotels shuttle bus service. The staff are very courteous and helpful. We only stayed for 2nights but if I had known it was this good would have booked for longer.
If your going to Luang Prabang book it now.

Room Tip: Book the bungalow, or get the rooms over the restaurant for the best view
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel is wonderful and certainly the staff and management are proactively trying to improve things by getting customer feedback directly.

It's located out of town but that can only be a good thing. It means you get to see a little more of local life. There's a bamboo bridge that you can cross on foot to get you in to town in about 10 minutes.

The rooms are spacious and of a high standard. Like all rooms we've stayed in so far in Asia, a little more light would be good for reading in both the bedrooms and the public rooms. We saw one guest reading by torchlight. The hotels go more for atmospheric lighting than being practical!

Although you're asked for feedback after your first night's stay, think some things could be properly checked before guest arrived e.g. Holes in the mosquito nets, bulbs gone out, plugs have loose connections, are all the bikes in working order with locks. It would also be an idea if they had proper luggage tables in the room.

Given the guests tend to be mainly European, the staff could speak better English. We got there eventually but it took a few attempts on some things.

The above comments are just for future improvements and didn't really spoil our stay.
Apart from that everything else was perfect.
The gardens, reception and breakfast areas were beautiful. The breakfast was excellent.
The shuttle service was useful and efficient.

Definitely recommend this hotel!

Perth
Reviewed January 28, 2013

What a lovely spot! We stayed for 6 nights in one of their garden cottages, overlooking our own large garden space that ended at the river. The exquisite garden was tended by a smiley gardener who gave us a few good gardening tips.

We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, and we enjoyed lots of lovely chats with them, and with the owner. We arrived on our wedding anniversary and went out for dinner in town that night. The young man who checked us in, hand picked some roses which he placed in our bedroom so we had a lovely rose-scented surprise when we returned. The hotel also organised a complimentary dinner for us on a night of our choice, as part of our anniversary celebrations.

The owner was such a kind and generous man. I was rather ill on the last day and we had a late flight out, I am so very grateful to him for allowing me to rest in another available room after we had checked out of our cottage - at no extra charge. This gave me 3 hours of sleep which went a long way in helping me feel a lot better. I shall always remember your kindness, good sir!

We recommend this delightful hotel which is across the river from town. They provide bicycles, but I rather enjoyed walking across bridge into town each day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple