“Sweet little hotel, simply but lovely and very relaxing!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of My Dream Boutique Resort

My Dream Boutique Resort
Ranked #3 of 258 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
NYC
“Sweet little hotel, simply but lovely and very relaxing!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

My Dream is a sweet little hotel that I really loved even though it was the simplest place I stayed on my entire trip. It is a fairly new hotel built in a style influenced by traditional Lao architecture and it's just enchanting! The open air lobby/main building and the pool are a picture of tranquility. The room was simple but nice and very clean. I think the hotel looked nicer in person than in the pictures. Many of the staff have somewhat limited English skills but they try very, very hard and were always extremely pleasant to deal with. Before arriving, I was a little concerned about the location out of the main part of town but I shouldn't have worried at all - in fact, I loved the peacefulness stemming from that fact. The main part of town is a 5 minute bike ride away (just across a small river, a tributary to the Mekong) and the hotel provides free bikes. The walk wasn't too long either and will be shorter when the reconstruct the bamboo bridge (which had washed out a few days before).

I think this is a perfect little hotel for a dreamy little place like Luang Prabang and I would stay there again. I would, however, go for one of the bungalows next time because they all face the tranquil gardens. I had a Deluxe room but it was on the ground floor and didn't really have a view.

I ate at the hotel on my last evening due to an early start the next day and the food was quite good and very reasonable priced.

Room Tip: Go for one of the bungalows!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

My dream is a lovely spot and the staff are so sweet and all they want to do is help.
We spent one night in a private bungalow which was just gorgeous and would totally recommend. Then two nights in the standard room above the main lobby. A few things, the toilet over ran constantly in our first bathroom, and the standard room smelled like drain - common in Asia but not particularly pleasant given the rate we were paying. Also the wall light had a dead bulb and we had to ask for a laundry bag 4 times before we received it. And the laundry was super expensive! Do it down the road for a fraction of the price. Overall a lovely hotel, just the little touches that need some work. The pool is fab.

Room Tip: Private bungalows are lovely. Pick a room that isn't above the main lobby as it isn't that s...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
When our esteemed guests were complaining about the toilet overflow and the bad smell in the in one of our standard rooms the MY DREAM staff fixed that immediately. These things may happen if customers are disposing items in the toilet which sooner or later block the system and the next guest is encountering the problem that previous guests may have caused. These malfunctions are unfortunately happening suddenly and are difficult to prevent by the housekeeping staff.
The MY DREAM is very sorry and apologizes for the late delivery of the laundry bag due to the forgetfulness of the staff. About the pricing of the laundry we just want to emphasize that the handling of it causes transaction costs to the hotel management as third parties are involved and therefore the prices are indicated in the laundry list so that each customer may decide whether he or she wants to give laundry to the hotel staff at a slightly higher price or whether to handle it himself or herself.
Hope that it meets your points you wanted to make.

With Best Regards,
Mr HUNG POR
and the Management Team
here at My Dream Boutique Resort
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

A bit of a different style of resort, smaller but very comfortable and staff friendly and helpful. We stayed 4 nights and were lucky the bamboo bridge had just opened as this made the trip across to town a little quicker, but otherwise you can walk in over the walking/motor bike bridge just around the corner and this takes about 15 mins. If you want to be in the heart of things this is not the place for you. Breakfast was a bit boring, pool area quite pleasant and a nice little place up the road, Dyen Sabai if you want lunch,dinner or a drink without going into town. Room was good with a balcony but very dark as outside the balcony there is a thick cover of vegetation, so a pleasant atmosphere but annoying having to have the lights on all the time. Also they could do with a screen door on the balcony so you didn't have to keep shutting the doors.

Room Tip: We had an upstairs room and I think that's what I'd go for. They had bungalows as well but n...
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed here while travelling through Laos for four days, the first two days in a regular room and the second two in a deluxe room.

Was picked up at the slowboat landing by people of the hotel, who were already waiting holding a sign with my name. They handled the luggage and swiftly delivered us to the hotel. Very nice for a free service.

The resort itself is amazing. It is mainly made of natural materials, and looks very good, both on the outside and inside. Rooms are very comfortable and pretty large, with good beds, a minibar and a balcony. The bathroom is beautiful and very clean. The beds are somewhat hard, as is common in Asia, but clean, and provide a good night of sleep. The breakfast buffet is served in the lobby area and has plenty of choice, and is of good quality. The pool is small, but very refreshing after a day in the heat. Wifi is spotty, though this is probably caused by the internet provider and not the fault of the hotel.

This place is so nice it would be great even with grumpy and uninterested staff, but the staff makes the place even more amazing. Every single person was kind and friendly, and all Laotian staff spoke very good English. The general manager, Evelyn, is very kind and makes everyone feel welcome.

Location is somewhat out of the center of town, but using the free rental bikes (few things make a Dutchman happier than free bikes!) you can easily get there.

With help of the owner and Evelyn, we arranged to visit some school projects the hotel runs in nearby towns. Before going we bought school supplies and some toys at a local market, and brought these to the towns. An amazing experience which I would recommend to everyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 83Bart
Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at My Dream for 4 nights in November and it was excellent for what we wanted. The
hotel is an "alternative style" and is not like the gueat house/hotels in the main town. It is located across the Nam Ou river but there is easy access via the bamboo bridge[in the dry season] or you can walk via the motor cycle bridge or get a tuk tuk or use the hotel bikes. The hotel has a pool which was greatly appreciates as it was hot and humid during our stay. The breakfast was good with a combination of western, french and lao foods. The room [classic] had all the basics [no wi fi] and the airconditioning worked well. The staff were very friendly and eager to please and it was a pleasure to talk with them. The hotel is definently an excellent dry weather hotel [but maybe notquite as good in the wet weather]. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Room Tip: Get a bungalow as they looked great.
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

My Dream was definitely a beautiful place, with a nice pool and large grounds and gardens on the Nam Khan River. The rooms are placed a bit back from the banks, so it's hard to even know it is there though. This hotel had more basic accoutrements than many hotels I've stayed in in Asia, from AC to safe to very complete and well appointed bathroom. And of course, the pool! And for the price, I think it is a very good value. The drawback is the somewhat distant location from town. I was able to cross into town in 10-15 minutes on the bamboo bridge all but one on the 4 days I was there and when that bridge is out, it makes for a very inconvenient location. They do offer a shuttle into and back from town in the evenings which you really can't do without. Also, one of the points that sold me on the place was rave reviews here of Evelyn the manager. She and I corresponded quite a bit before my trip about various arrangements and she was extremely helpful but I was disappointed to find out upon checking in that she was no longer with the hotel. Given that I'd gotten most of what I needed from her before my arrival, my trip progressed smoothly. But I wonder if the team at the hotel now is able to offer the service. Everyone there though, was extremely helpful, kind and willing to offer any and all help they could. I will agree with other commenters about breakfast being slow and the service sort of haphazard. But I have come to expect this in Asia and don't really mind. The local monks do their morning alms procession right outside the hotel too, which is a great experience to observe. All in all, I really enjoyed my stay and would recommend as long as you are ok with the short walk to town.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank amy19087
northern california
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

The name, Dream Resort, is a memorable one, sadly, more so than the actual hotel. Of all the places we stayed in 3 weeks in Cambodia and Laos, this was one of two to which I would not return. The staff is helpful, friendly, laid back and relaxed, sometimes, a little too much so. This was the only place we stayed where 7 am breakfast meant first pot of available coffee at 7:16 (not usually a stickler for time on vacation, but when your tour starts at 8 am, and the usual breakfast SE Asia pace means allotting 45 min... well....), the continental choices are out by 7:10, and the Asian hot dishes 7:20-740. It does taste good (other than the coffee), and the Asian dishes, which were different each day, were good. Re rooms: Beware: one block of rooms (the Classic) has a view of a wall and a thatch roof. The gardens are beautiful, but behind the swimming pool, and provide a view only for the bungalow suites. Otherwise, without going to look for them, you'd never know they are there. The rooms are adequate, with satisfactory bathrooms. Pool is fine. If the bamboo foot bridge is working, the walk to town is maybe 15 minutes. Rain and heavy loads tend to wreck the bamboo bridge (it was out when we visited). The hotel shuttle goes to town once, at 7 pm, you can't phone for a tuk tuk, there are few in that region, so it's a 40 minute walk to town or 20 minutes across a pretty scary pedestrian crossing on the auto bridge to catch a tuk tuk. Bikes may be available (CHECK CAREFULLY, and USE A HELMET), but rain, poor roads, crazy drivers and short daylight hours make this a dicey choice. Upside : it may be quieter than some in town places .....

Room Tip: Only one room in the Classic block has a fairly unobstructed view, though only the bungalows look ou...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
The MY DREAM team always appreciates constructive criticism as will help to improve our services to the customers’ utmost satisfaction. To several points that were raised by our customers I feel tempted to explain a little more what can be expected from MY DREAM and what is, sorry to say, beyond our outreach or capacity:
We are dreadful sorry and apologize for serving (European) breakfast and particularly coffee later than the foreseen timing. However, this is not the rule, except maybe in the peak season or when our team is understaffed due to sickness or other severe reasons for being absent.
Our classic rooms are our most economic ones and have, at least partly, a limited view on the garden (but a view on the green leaves of high growing banana plants). That is true and deplorable if the guests have to stay in the room throughout the day due to bad weather or any other reason. But as they are cheaper than all others one should be prepared to tolerate a bit of a difference – and the view makes the difference…
The MY DREAM garden is a hidden treasure and a free space to be explored by every guest individually. By going downstairs to the pool you see it almost automatically if your attention is not too much attracted by the people lying on the long chairs beside the pool.
The location of our small hotel is a little bit out of town thus having all its positive and less positive aspects that a remote location brings. It is generally less noisy than others who are located amidst the busy city centre. Taking a short walk across the bamboo bridge during winter time or by crossing the old bridge over the River Namkhan to the city will take about 20 minutes, but it is good sightseeing, and after all we assume that our guests are here spend their time and not to save it, isn’t it?
Our bus shuttle is now serving customers three times a day, leaving at 9 am, 2 pm, and 7 pm and there is a pick-up service from the city to the hotel at 9.30 pm now. Moreover there a almost new bicycles provided free of cost and for those who are not shying away from the adventure to cross the river by a small boat ferry – there are some, although life west and helmet are recommended.

With Best Regards,