“A little gem by the river”

My Dream Boutique Resort
Ranked #4 of 257 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
ACT Australia
“A little gem by the river”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

You can't help but be surprised by this beautiful small boutique hotel in Luang Prabang. From the moment that you arrive you were treated like a special guest. Ken and his staff were so attentive and nothing was too much for them. They picked up our bags from our central guesthouse while we ventured on a day trip to the caves. On arrival we were quickly issued with keys to our rooms. My room, a classic single ( queen size bed) with full glass window providing views to the lovely pool and garden. The room had a bar fridge and supplied beautiful bathroom products which were replaced daily.
This resort isnt in town so you have to access the town by bridge ( only during the dry season) or via pushbikes (free) or tuk tuk (cheap)
The only negative for me was that i didn't have an iphone or internet access so I had to to rely on the hotel computer. There is only one which is often used for their own use for bookings so was rarely free for guest use.
I can't wait to return with my family to enjoy more of this Lao hospitality. A real treat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool or splash out and upgrade to a bungalow.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Julesandpaul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I recently stayed for just over a week at My Dream and I loved it. It has a peaceful, relaxed ambience in lovely gardens leading down to the river. The owner and his staff were genuinely kind and helpful, paying every attention to ensure that guests are enjoying their stay to the utmost. My room was light, airy and tastefully decorated with a "natural" look through use of wood and textiles and had a balcony with a view over the river-and of sunsets! I feel that the hotel offers the best of both worlds: it is in a peaceful environment but within very easy reach of the historic centre by various means: a short walk across the bamboo bridge, a walk or cycle across the "Old Bridge" or by a slightly longer route across the "New Bridge" by tuk tuk (walking across the Old Bridge and catching a tuk tuk there is cheaper, but tuk tuks are inexpensive anyway). I also enjoyed taking out a bicycle. There is also an evening shuttle service which I understand may be extended. I definitely would like to return to this hotel!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Leipzig, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Here we are, at "My Dream Resort". If you arrive at a place with such a name you will naturally have some expectations of a very special place, heavenly place, which you can find almost nowhere else. Did the aforementioned resort live up to these expectations ? Let's see...

Hotel:

My dream boutique resort seems to be a sister hotel of "Le Bel Air Resort", which is directly next to the "my dream resort" and which is quite similar to the reviewed hotel. As is stayed in both, i will take the freedom to compare them where it makes sense.

Both hotels are located on the quieter side of Luang Prabang, which means they are not in the city center, but on the other side of the Nam Ou (river). They both have a big garden and direct access to the river (not sure what you would want to do there). The similarities end here. While the Bel Air makes good use of it's location on the river and of it's big garden, the Dream Resort sits a bit cramped together on the first half of the whole property and has quite big, but virtually deserted garden. This may be nice to look at from some of the bungalows (keep that "some" in mind for later), but it's just a waste of land in my opinion. The Bel Air provided sun beds directly on the river, which i didn't see at My Dream and generally had a more involving approach regarding the garden. At my dream the garden felt a bit separated from the rest, almost deserted in my view. Don't get me wrong, this isn't really a fault in my eyes per se, it's just unused potential.

Well, lets get back to the located: It is a bit outside of town, but not really far. They rent out bicycles free of charge, which cuts the time to the center down to 5 minutes, but do yourself a favor and check the condition of the bikes before going with them. I had one bike where the light didn't work, while the other one had a lock, but not key accompanying it anymore. Maybe they should put some effort into the bikes, to keep them well maintained, but they have so many bikes, that you should be able to find a good one. I think they also have some free shuttles to town in the evening, but i never used them as i had my own wheels (or a bike). You can also walk to town, something i highly recommend, which would probably take about 20 minutes (go back with a boat via Dien Sabai and have the very good Lao fondue to cut the journey time short).

Hotel:

As i already wrote, the way the resort was constructed wasn't to much to my liking. While they have really tried to create something special, it felt a bit cramped in my view. You have the reception/restaurant area, which overlooks the pool and the garden and also hosts some of the rooms (above the restaurant), some more rooms to the left and some rooms under the pool are, which have the garden view. Everything is very near to each other, while you have a really big and unused garden. Comparing to the Bel Air again, i felt that even my very cheap standard room provided a lot of privacy and i never really felt cramped by the nearby bungalows. I even had a lovely view to the garden in my standard room, something that you shouldn't expect here. Instead expect to be able to look into another room :)

What i found very nice were the restaurant area, which overlook the pool and the garden and had a very fresh and airy feel and of course the pool, which wasn't overly big, but with the correct temperature (not too cool) and big enough for a small swim. It also functioned as a social area (i must admit, this was the most social hotel i had in 5 weeks), where i met some really nice people.

Rooms:

The rooms are the same as the hotel itself. Very beautiful, but they feel cramped (i can only speak for the standard rooms). They used a lot of wood while building the rooms and it give the rooms a very nice and natural look. They inform you via the hotel information map, that you should try to be quite in your room, because the wood is a very good sound carrier, so your noise might disturb your neighbor. I must say i didn't have any problems with that (i had in the Bel Air).

The room itself has everything you could need and you will notice that they put some thinking into what you should have in your room. No complains here (though i found the "open" wardrobe interesting, but yes, it fits the style !). Same goes for the bathroom, which was not to big, but it was miles better, than 90% of the other hotel bathrooms you'll find in Laos. It was fitted out in a style that matched the rest of the room, which means they tried to make it look a bit more natural then usual.

My complaints are not so much with the amenities itself or the look of the room, but of a more simple nature. The bed was supposed to be double bed, but it wasn't really. It was just two single beds put together with single cover for both mattresses. Seriously, if you don't have a genuine double bed to sell, please tell the customer. I always prefer to sleep in a single bed, over this solution. I always manage to sleep directly over the gap between the two mattresses, which gives me a bad sleep.

Second, this is supposed to be a very new hotel, but i always had two lights which wouldn't work (one in the bathroom and one in the bedroom).

Third, the view: I had NO view. My view consisted of a view to the rooms which lay in front of my room. Very nice. If somebody opened his door, i could watch in their room and if i would go to sit outside of my balcony, i always felt watched by the people which might step out of their rooms or the people from the restaurant, which also had quite a good view to my balcony. This wouldn't be so bad, if there would be no space available on the hotel grounds, but when you see the big unused garden, you begin to wonder.

Fourth: The curtains, while they may look very nice, are not really able to keep the light out. If you are a light sleeper (and if you manage to survive sleeping over the gap), you might be awaken very early by the morning sun.

All in all, i liked the basic concept of the room, but these points were a small letdown. To draw a comparison to the Bel Air: Their rooms (standard) are not to big too, very noise due to thin walls and in overall as comfortable as these rooms. But, they have a view...

Service: Well, i could write this is Laos, you know what to expect...but...hey...no...it's Laos right, but these boys and girls here are really almost up to the task. While the check-in process is a bit tiring, because it is not really as streamlined, as it could be, most of the personal speaks good to very good english, is friendly, helpful and very courteous. This is something different and not easily expected. I always felt well cared for, sometimes even a bit too much (they obviously try to talk to you, to learn better English, which sometimes means they will try to talk you while you may be trying to look up something in the internet with the hotel's laptop, not noticing that you are occupied with something else).

Well, they are a nice bunch of people, with good training, but not too professional. It sometimes almost feels like a family operation. This of course comes to a price. The service is still not up to what it should be. If you order something by the pool (spring rolls), they should also bring you some napkins (for instance), if you inform them that your lights in your bathroom aren't working, they should send for a mechanic and not let the problem go unfixed, etc. I guess the nice and welcoming manageress will teach them in time, but for now, it's still a bit hit and miss here and there. But as i always say, as long as it is made up by the friendliness and kindness of the people, it's not a big deal for me.

Breakfast / Food:

Breakfast had quite some quantity and was served on the quasi-outside area of the restaurant. As my experience from last year at the Bel Air tells me, this might get quite cold in the winter months, but when i was there this year, the temperature was good in the morning. I don't remember much of the contents of the breakfast menu (i remember that they had a nice waitress :)), but as far as i remember, the quality was quite good. Same cannot be said about the coffee, which i found quite bad.

I also had some spring rolls (fresh ones) by the pool, which were of good quality.

Verdict: I know this review sounds really a bit too negative. Well, it actually shouldn't because i enjoyed my time at my Dream Resort very much. It's just that i felt that there is so much unused or misused potential, that i had to write it down. It's certainly not my "Dream Resort", and i'm not even sure if i find it better that the Bel Air Resort (well, it must be better, as it has pool, as Bert would say), which only means that both hotels are very fine. I like that it is a bit out of town, away from the trouble and i really liked the social atmosphere of the hotel (i also felt that the guest were of a certain species, which i found very like able) and of course i like the pool, something which isn't too common in Luang Prabang. All in all i also liked the idea of the natural wooden rooms and i'm sure if i would have had a room with a view, i would have liked my stay a lot more, but unfortunately i didn't have. So my recommendation: Its' a very nice hotel, but don't go for the standard rooms, as you might be a bit disappointed in the end about what you imagined to be your dream.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank 3d-razor
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Guest

Every body has his or her dream. Looking at the account of TRIPadvisor reviews about MY DREAM HOTEL it looks that the vast majority of those guests who have stayed in this beautiful resort and commented upon it seem to share the dreams of the management. However, I appreciate the constructive criticism that was raised by the guest and, as the MY DREAM management always does, will constantly try to improve the rooms’ and services’ quality to the utmost degree of perfection as the entire team of MY DREAM is doing its very best to satisfy even the most demanding customer.
Now just a few remarks about the guest’s comments:

- The garden: the purpose of its park-like and rather unused looking appearance is that it is up to the individual guest to make use of it according to his or her taste. And this includes that guests may appreciate the garden as a free space. The management tries to make a difference to other hotels and does not overload the precious green space with amenity furniture.
- The bicycles are all rather new or very new, but their quality is national and not international standard. As there are always enough at the guests’ disposal the motto is: “take the best – forget the rest”
- The view of the standard rooms: if the guest chooses to take a room at the most economical rate then he or she must not expect the same as is provided with the higher price standards. One has to be prepared to pay more if one wants to get more. I think that is the way the global hotel world works…
- The double bed: the management provides a double bed that is usually meant for two persons. In case of single occupation it is up to the customer how he or she is making use of it.
- The curtains: white curtains give more friendly atmosphere – but we may think about having darker ones in selected rooms for the daylight sleepers and the day DREAMERS…
- Professional staff is important. That’s right. The MY DREAM staff has good intentions and a good heart and maybe less cold professional perfection.

All in all the criticism of the guest is regarded as benevolent and not as a negative verdict, although it may sound a bit nagging sometimes. But staying in MY DREAM can never be a mistake as hundreds of satisfied customers assure: it is small, yes, unpretentious, and last but not least “too nice to fail”…

Thanks again you for your comments , just let us know. We'll give you all the help you need.

With Best Regards,
Mr HUNG POR
and the Management Team
here at My Dream Boutique Resort
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Beautiful and peaceful hotel. It was such a relaxing place in Luang Prabang, beautiful gardens, nice swimmingpoolm, really friendly staff and spacious and clean room with great view over the river. City centre is at the other side of the river, but is only a five minutes ride by the free porvided bikes.
Would have loved to stay a bit longer over here.

Room Tip: All rooms have been renovated and have a great view on the river or gardens
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed at My Dream Boutique Resort for 4 nights in October 12 it it a great hotel with nice swimming pool and great rooms. Located in a quiet area away from traffic.

The staff and Management were very friendly and helpful.
We would have loved to stay longer but hotel was fully booked.
Look forward to staying at My Dreams again in the future.
I would give this hotel 5 stars for excelence

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

A slice of Heaven.
Pure Joy.

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon trip through SE ASia and it was great. We came to Luang Prabang for a week and we broke our trip up by staying in town for a couple of nights and "out of town' for a couple of nights at My Dream. It was a great choice, only I wish that we would have stayed at my dream for the whole time. It is worth the 10 minute walk or bicycle ride, they have several great working bikes for guests to use, to stay out at this resort.

The grounds are immaculate and well gardened. The whole property is superbly clean, well up to standards and beautiful. The hotel and bungalows have been carved out of a fine garden with flowers and pathways to vistas over the river.
The rooms are well equipped with AC/ fans, great beds, clean linens, great water pressure in the showers, mini bar, all the amenities you can expect.
We had the staff get a couple of masseurs to come and give us massage in the room and they were great people with good skills.
The pool is super clean and a great spot to chill when the afternoon heat rises. There are plenty of lounge chairs with umbrellas and towels are provided. There are no pools really in the old Heritage district part of town as they are not allowed to build them now, so this was a HUGE bonus for the MY DREAM resort. It was epic to come and get cooled off in the middle of the day, you will not want to leave after you treat yourself to a dip in the cool water.
It is a wonderful place and I just wanted to stick around and relax.

The only thing I think they can do is to continue to train there staff with communication. It is nothing but constructive criticism as I am sure the place is fairly new, but we had a couple of encounters where the staff could not communicate well. We asked about massages and they said no problem confirmed, so we rode the bikes to town and enjoyed lunch. We returned and got ready for massage. At 5 pm when we were supposed to get massage, there was no one. So I went to the desk, the guy that I talked to was gone and no one knew anything about the massage. It was a bit of confusion, but like all good resorts, they wanted us to be happy, so they made phone call and arranged for the two to come "right away" in Laos time. It was handled very well all in. Again, i am sure the owner/management is going to continue to train their staff with communications and customer service.

Now, back to the great stuff.

The owner was around everyday to check in with each guest and make sure everything was perfect. He was such a gentle spirit and worked so hard to insure that each guest was having a great time. Evelyn, one of the managers also worked with my wife to ensure our trip was perfect. She emailed us from the states several times and did everything she could to make a honeymoon special. We are so thankful to these two at the My Dream.

The breakfast was set up each day in the lounge area and was wondeful. There was a large selection of food to choose from. They had juices, fresh fruit, museli/cereal and yogurt. There was some basic breads and croissants with a toaster to warm them and one day there was even fresh baked banana muffin which was very delicious. There was also some noodles or rice with vegetables each day and they would also make yummy eggs to order. They were the best cooked "fried" eggs on the trip so far. The yolks were done, but still had some nice run to them. Sounds simple, but the rest of our trip, over easy eggs were fried hard with no yolk anywhere for your bread. Plenty of good Lao coffed and tea as well.

I really could go on and on,but I will just say simply, this has to be the best place in LP to stay.

Room Tip: Bunglaows are worth the extra price if you can get one.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and our views are as follows:

1) Location:
The resort is located near Luang Prabang town centre, along the river of Luang Prabang - it is about 8-10 minutes bicycle ride to the town or a short tuk-tuk ride. There are mini-markets, street food/stalls nearby the resort. The surrounding of the hotels are also very safe during the night. So, overall, not bad.

2) Environment of the Resort & Classic Room:
We love the entrance of this resort - very beautiful. The reception/breakfast area (open concept) looking nice too. Most importantly, everywhere in this resort is clean and tidy including its swimming pool and lovely huge garden/orchard.

The classic room which we stayed is clean, simple and of reasonable size (with balcony), comes with the usual 3 star hotel amenities including hair dryer. The bathroom is very unique - (back to nature kind of concept) which we all love it, a lot. Overall, it was quite good. Only complain i have is the single bed is a little too small. Most hotel/resort nowadays uses 3.5ft/4ft single bed.

3) Buffet Breakfast
The buffet breakfast is quite good and simple (mixture of western and local). Most importantly, they change some of their breakfast menu daily - very good for guest staying more than 1 night.

4) Staff & Services
The staffs and services are impressive. Although some of the staff/waiter only speaks/understand limited English, still they are very attentive, friendly and tried their best to fulfill our request etc.

5) Free Bicycle & Shuttle Service
They provide free bicycle for guest to explore the town of luang prabang. Indeed, cycling is the best option to explore the town as compared to walking. Roads are safe to cycle. They also provide free shuttle service to the night market at 7pm. Otherwise, a tuk-tuk from hotel to the town will cost you about 40,000 - 50,000 kip (USD5-USD6). not that expensive.

6) Wifi
Decent speed in our room and however, the wifi speed at the lobby area could be better.

Overall, for the price we paid, this resort seems to be a very good choice of accommodation in Luang Prabang. A nice change of environment as compared to staying in the town centre.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends