“Wonderful hotel, but not convenient a location.”

My Dream Boutique Resort
Ranked #4 of 264 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
London
“Wonderful hotel, but not convenient a location.”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is a wonderful hotel, but think carefully about staying due to the complications involved in getting into town.

Plus points: Lovely staff (nothing was too much for them and they were incredibly warm), stylish and comfortable rooms (we had the bungalow for USD 90 per night). Delightful gardens overlooking the river, free bikes. When you are in the relaxing mood you can lounge by the pool. Free wifi everywhere.

Negative points: We found its location very inconvenient. You can walk into town in about 25 mins, BUT you have to walk over a bridge that was far too scary for me. We crossed it once and that was enough. It goes across the river at quite a wide point. The main bit of the bridge is narrow and is for bikes and motorbikes, so it is hard to walk over that bit. Pedestrians are supposed to walk along a passageway running on the side of the bridge. This passage felt really dilapidated. There were a couple of missing planks and the hand rail was pretty shaky. This bridge is not for the faint hearted (like me!). If you don't want to walk you have to take a taxi (difficult to organise) or the hotel shuttle bus that leaves at 7pm only. You would then have to take a tuk tuk back to the hotel from town. Considering that you come to Luang Prabang to experience the town, we found this to be a real drag. And if you are taking tuk tuks all the time, each journey is about USD 4. The vehicles go miles out of the way in order to make use of a bridge on the other side of town. The hotel does put on a free shuttle bus from town at 9pm but that is way too early if you are only being dropped off at 7pm. You are supposed to go to the night market, have dinner and be back at the bus stop in 2 hours?!

The breakfast is OK, but a little limited. They are constantly running out of coffee (which, to be fair, they do replenish, but it seems ridiculous that they only have one small jug on the go). The yoghurt is disgustingly sweet. The bread is quite simply horrible (you can get much nicer stuff at some of the bakeries in town so they have no excuse to serve bread that tastes like paper.

Although the gardens are beautiful and quite big relative to the size of the hotel, there are no seats in them to enable you to chill out. The only thing you can do is walk up and down them.Don't understand why they can't put a few benches out there.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael_London_N4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights after reading some of the reviews on Trip Advisor and they were all correct - this place has such a great atmosphere. The natural wood design and jungle/garden setting right on the Nam Kham river and the friendly staff really make this place stand out. Although it's located on the otherside of the river, it's an easy and safe bike ride way, or a shuttle is provided in the evening. The breakfast is a good mix of Asian and European food and the staff are more than happy to help if you need assistance getting around or planning your day in this beautiful city. Many thanks to Evelyn and her team.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jen F
England
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights during our tour through Laos. We booked a bungalow with river view. Unfortunately you could not see the river as it was at the bottom of the garden but the bungalow was excellent with a huge outside area overlooking the garden. The breakfast was very good you could almost ask for anything you wanted. Evelyn the manager was very friendly and helfull at all time, could not fault her in any way. It a pity they did not do evening meals but Evelyn told us they were about to set on a chef so they have perhaps started that now. The only problem we had was noise coming from a bar across the river, one night till 2 in the morning, it was very loud. Evelyn asked us if we would complain to World Heritage about it which we did. Loud music should not be played in LuangPrabang late at night.
If it wasnt for this it would be 5 stars all round.
Would definately try it again as we loved Luang Probang.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear 'safariselb',

Because it's been awhile since you were here, that makes our thanks all the more heartfelt for your taking the time to post. And we're pleased to update you that lunch and dinner are well established now in our restaurant pavilion.

And while we get the occasional wedding celebration into the evening, everyone's been adhering to the noise by-law. We're sure your letter helped, and we appreciate your copying us on that. It's worth noting that anyone visiting Luang Prabang who is inconvenienced by noise, no matter where they are staying, should vociferously complain to the UNESCO office. That always gets results!

Thanks again 'safariselb'! And when you come back, aim for the May - August period. The river will be nice and high!

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This fantastic setting by the river created a feeling somwhere in between being in the jungle and at the owners own garden. Service was splendid, english speaking staff (canadian MD) and beautiful rooms. Cozy little pool. A place to stay for several days just to relax. My Dream Boutique Resort is in the process of beginning to re-build a school in the village of Ban Ber Chek. Say hello to Hotel Cat Mr Jack at the front desk!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Manager at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Hello 'Janne_Lekemark',

Thank you so much! We are pleased indeed to hear you enjoyed your stay with us so much.

And a special thanks for mentioning our school re-building project in the village of Ban Ber Cek. Your comment provides a welcome opportunity to remind the TripAdvisor community that we are actively involved in education-related projects, and that 2% of our revenues go towards these initiatives. The owner and Managing Director has been doing this for several years now - well before he built "My Dream" - often in partnership with individuals or groups.

Coming to stay with us? Well, once you're here, ask at the Front Desk and we'll take you to visit one of our projects. They are near and dear to our hearts.

Thank you again 'Janne_Lekemark! And we'll pass on your best wishes to Jack the Hotel Cat.

Cologne, Germany
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We were planning to stay at My Dream Resort in November. Unfortunately we have to postpone our holidays due to changes at work. When I was still planning our Laos/Cambodia trip Evelyn from My Dream was absolutely amazing trying to figure out with me how to fit in a stay in Luang Prabang during the trip. I rarely experienced such effort and I am sure that we will stay at My dream next year if we get to make our trip then... If everything is handled as perfectly as reservation requests I am sure it is an absolutely great place to stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank victoria-her
Dear 'victoria-her',

Many, many apologies for being so long in writing this response to your kind posting. But I think you will appreciate that guest - and guest correspondence! - must always come first.

Taking care of our guests before they even get here is something we are very proud of. Whether it's getting a Mekong cruise booked to Huay Xai, evaluating which bus service is best for you when you're heading for Vientiane, or sorting out a last-minute flight-change - we are always happy to help.

So while the trip didn't work out this time, I'm delighted to hear that our "pre-check-in" service made you feel confident about choosing to stay with us.

And yes - this is the attitude we bring to everything we do.

Thanks again 'victoria-her', and when you start planning again, just let us know. We'll give you all the help you need.

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I don't have anything to add to previous reviews - this place is in a lovely peaceful spot next to the river. Easy walk or bike into the town. Great shuttle service at night for the markets or dinner. Food at the resort very decent too. Having the pool is a real bonus, which is one of the reasons I chose it. Staff are fantastic and keen to talk. If you haven't "done" an elephant trip before, then chose a trip via www.elephantvillage-Laos.com - this can be booked here. We did the full day mahout experience and was worth every $US. Rooms kept spotless, but still some small issues getting sorted out (toilet flushing). Wifi reception great.would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FinoniTas
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Hello 'FinoniTas',

Well, for someone who felt they could not say anything more, you paid us several lovely compliments indeed! We thank you very much for that.

We especially want to thank you for commenting on how good the WiFi was. I mentioned awhile ago that Lao Telecom was upgrading it's internet/WiFi services across the country. And we are definitely seeing an improvement as a result.

We also want to thank you for mentioning Elephant Village. In our opinion they are by far the best in Luang Prabang. We're glad you think so too.

Well - what more can we say?! We very much appreciate your comments 'FinoniTas'. So until next time,

Best Regards,
and the Management team
Hanoi
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I started to worry at the Luang Prabang airport, when the taxi "warden" rounded up everyone else who'd been on my flight and sent them off in vans. I had my own van all to myself and there seemed to be a question about where the hotel was. I worried more when we turned off the main road when the sign to town said go straight. And I was resigned to finally having chosen wrong when online booking, as we stopped at a gate between two shacks on an unpromising road nowhere near the town. Then the gate opened and a young man in a white jacket took my bag, welcomed me by name and led me down a long driveway. Suddenly the narrow vista opened up and there was a beautiful, roofed but open to the air front and back veranda with a reception desk and lounge -- polished teak everywhere. The young man sat me down at a table with white linen cloth and brought me an iced tea. Mr Somchit Bounsa, Front Office Manager, arrived shortly after the tea, to greet me in impeccable English. I explained that I had only booked 2 nights because I was on a "visa run" from Chiang Mai and I wanted to spend my two half-days relaxing by the pool -- a small gem we could see just downhill from the veranda -- and only had the one full day to sightsee. Leave it to me, said Mr Bounsa, so I did. I was still pretty much awestruck by the beauty of the place and the feeling of luxury and the shock of staff calling me by name on arrival. Mr Bounsa made a call. Done. I had a car and driver all day the next day to see certain temples, the old palace, a silkworm and weaving workshop, and a waterfall, and anything else I wanted.... for $30. We shook hands and then the first young man took me to my room. It was down some stairs past the pool, one of four ground-floor rooms I believe, in two buildings on each side of a path that led through a small garden and wide lawn to reveal a view of the river. The buildings are surrounded by trees and the whole complex seems designed to "disappear" into nature. My room was huge. Immaculate. Air-conditioned. High-water-pressure hot shower in a large bathroom. Polished wood floors, mosquito netting over a large double bed with white comforter and extra pillows, TV on the wall to wall teak desk, wi-fi.... and a veranda all my own. I could not believe my luck. I chose this hotel because it was "on sale" on Agoda. I paid $32 US a night, including full breakfast on the veranda overlooking the pool. I had a fabulous tour with an English-speaking driver who knew to tell me to remember to walk behind the palace to see the antique cars in the garage. The down side? It is not in town. The hotel provides bicycles, but I don't like to bike at night. The hotel provides a van to go to town at 7pm but it leaves town for the return at 9 pm -- which means you pretty much have to choose a nice meal OR shopping at the best market I've seen so far in Asia... or find a tuk tuk back. They advertise it's a short walk to town, but it's over a bridge that is not easy to walk if you are a child or an older person. There were two families with small children at the hotel, and they told me they loved it, so I'd recommend this hotel for families.... and for honeymoon couples! It is absolutely beautiful and a very easy place to relax and decide NOT to go to town or sightseeing.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MAChanoi
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear 'MAChanoi',

Being referred to as a "Shangri La" has us smiling indeed. Thank you so very much! And thank you for such a detailed review. It's most helpful for the TripAdvisor community.

One thing I'm noticing, because of your and another guest's comments I read today - we need do need to emphasize more, at check-in, that we offer "off-hours" shuttle service. Currently we have one scheduled service in the evening, for the night market, as we only have one van, and it handles all our transfers and laundry delivery as well. (Being a new hotel means we don't yet have everything on our "wish list" yet. Like a 2nd van. But we're almost there!)

But with a little advance notice, if someone needs to go into town we can almost always arrange shuttle service. Often the van is available, or we fit the service in with a trip already set, like to the laundry. The hotel owner, Somnuek, has often given guests a ride into town in his truck. And more than one guest has hopped on the back of the hotel motorcycle and one of our staff has driven them in.

So if you come to My Dream, remember - just ask! Whatever the service you need, we will absolutely do our very best to make it happen.

Thank you again 'MAChanoi'! It was a pleasure to hear from you.