“Good hotel”

Ranked #4 of 264 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
perth, western australia
“Good hotel”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

This hotel is located out of the unesco area but it still in a convenient location. They have bicycles some with baby seats so our children loved to go riding into town everyday. Staff were very friendly and always helpful and efficient. Often Evelyn gives the introductory welcome but somehow we missed her and were a bit lost to begin with. Rooms nicely decorated though showers flood bathroom. Unfortunately the pool was often dirty and we did not allow our children to use it very much. The pool filter is seldom used. Breakfast is tasty with one hot menu option. Pastries very good. Meals reasonably priced though not an extensive menu. A good stay overall for our 8 days there.

Room Tip: Choose a villa
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Dear 'elliottpasalich'

Hello from 'My Dream', and thank you for making the time to post such a fair and balanced review!

It's true - while you were here we were having real pool problems. After weeks of ash and particulates from 'fire season' nothing - including the filters - were working properly. But as noted in the previous review, with the help of two consultants - and some new equipment - the pool has been restored to its former health. But sad to say this was after you left, on April 7.

We also want to thank you again for how courteous you were about the pool. You were really disappointed (and rightfully so) but you didn't take it out on the staff, and we really appreciate that.

Thank you again 'elliottpasalich', and we promise a perfect pool if you come back again!

My Dream Boutique Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Antwerp
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We are budget travellers, and wanted to chill out in a bit more luxury halfway our trip through Laos. We made an online booking, and from the beginning we felt like we had chosen well. Our mails were answered very quickly, with a friendly but no-nonsence tone, just how we like it.
Airport pickup was perfect, we got a very warm welcome upon arrival.
The room was way above our standard, nice vieuw, nice terrace, fruit. There is a little note that explains that the hotel is contructed in natural materials and because of that sound travels quite well through the walls. We support the use of natural materials very much, but when you have a noizy British couple staying in the next room, it can be a bit annoying.
The pool is very clean and nice to sit by. Maybe a bit more poolside seats would be advisable. An American family has been sitting on the ground while we were there because all the seats were taken.
But what makes this place special is that you get the feeling that you are welcome and they will take good care of you. The staff is extremely friendly (we were almost embarrased by there humbleness). The free bike service, the free shuttle to the busstation (specially for us, no charge) are things that make a difference.
Some hotels offer good service as long as you are prepared to pay for is, here it is all included and they seem to find it evident.
And for the big finale: we booked a standard room and we thought it was very luxurious so we wondered what a deluxe room would look like, and upon checkout it seemed that we had been upgraded to a deluxe room, free of charge, because it was available. I have never heard of such a thing. Just because it was available, they gave us a better room. I think that says it all how this place is run. Thanks Evelyn.
The only reason why i'm not giving the excellent score is because of the location, But it is a very, very, very good!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JobAntwerp
Dear 'JobAntwerp',

As always, we - and the Trip Advisor community, we are sure - are delighted to see such a comprehensive review. Thank you! Now - to highlight a few points you made:

First, your comment on how clean the pool was is appreciated, as we were having problems in that regard (see next review) and brought in two consultants to help us. Managing a pool once the temperatures heat up, and during fire season, is a challenge. But with the help of the above-noted consultants, the pool is its sparkling refreshing self once again.

Regarding the upgrade, that's something we really like to do, if possible. It's part of our overall philosophy about service - we will absolutely do everything we can for our guests. It's the same with the shuttle and transfer services, which are always free of charge.

Finally - noisy neighbors. We are so sorry about that. We want our guests to tell us if they are having a problem of any type whatsoever, so that we can fix it. And if a neighbor is noisy, we know how to address that without causing any hard feelings. Tact and diplomacy are also our specialties!

Thank you again 'JobAntwerp', for taking the time to post, and for such a positive review. It's much appreciated.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Really, I should have stayed here. I had booked a nite at my dream resort but too bad my flight was canceled due to bad weather. So the next day I arrived (for the next 2 nights, I had to stay at kiridara with my friends) I biked to the resort just to inquired about my cancellation/refund (my friend told me I couldn't get a refund coz I booked thru agoda but I went there anyway).

when I first arrived, I was impressed by the location....seriously .... the reason I went there to enjoy slow life. The location of the resort is just perfect...quite a distance (but not too far at all if you bike , say 5 min) from touristy/noisy road on the other side of the river. I met with the manager and the first thing she greeted me was "thank you for calling us yesterday not to pick you up at the airport, by the way , we've refunded the amount you paid back to your account". Oh boyd, I didn't even have to bother asking for that.

The manager showed me around the resort ....Gee...I stay at Kiridara (the 5-star) but I prefer this resort better. The common area is spacious. They have walkable green area that you can relax, lots of threes and shades and also the river side area where you can sit and chill out.

The room is spacious too but the decoration is so-so. but given all the good things about location and greenness...I will stay there next time I go LBP.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nat0911
Hello 'Nat0911',

Thank you so much! We well remember your calling to tell us your flight was cancelled, and then coming by to see us when you did arrive. And of course we refunded your deposit! It was not your fault the flight was cancelled, and this is not the first time we have refunded a guest's deposit. When events are beyond a guest's control, we wouldn't dream of making them pay!

And we're so glad to hear you enjoyed your tour. So hopefully, when you next come to Luang Prabang, your flight will be OK and you can come and stay with us!

Thanks again 'Nat0911'!

My Dream Boutique resort
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 5, 2012

My wife and I took my son and his wife to this fabulous resort. It was their first visit to Laos. The resort has only been opened for about 5 months and it was excellent from being picked up at the airport to our return to the airport. The rooms were outfitted with everything to be desired, including a bouquet of flowers upon arrival ..and the rooms were very clean. Staff were excellent and the quality of food at breakfast was extremely high. The owner, Khun Somnuek Bounsa, found out it was my birthday and he and his beautiful wife hosted a birthday dinner for me and my family and they joined in the celebration. The GM was a Canadian lady who was most helpful in all aspects, including setting up various side trips. My family hired a boat for a day through the hotel and traveled the "mighty Mekong" observing life on the Mekong which was most interesting and a photographer's delight.

The location of the hotel is on on the Nan River with gorgeous grounds maintained by an excellent gardener and it was very quiet and great for sleeping and taking power naps. There is also a nice, small swimming pool for sunning and bathing. The Resort is indeed a relatively short walk to the center of town but the 15 - 20 minute walk is also very interesting. There were two ways of getting to town; one by an old bridge and the other and shorter way was over a bamboo bridge that only operates in the dry season. Bikes were available for the guests use. We learned that there were 2 processions of monks passing by the Resort early each morning so we got some bananas and sticky rice and gave alms at around 0530. All in all it is a great place to stay with great value for your $$$! I have stayed at various hotels and B&B in LP but I would easily recommend this facility as currently one of the best places to enjoy a satisfying visit.

One additional note - at the time of our visit there was a very high level of smoke and air contamination due to local farmers burning dead grass and other combustibles for use as fertilizer. A good and heavy rain would/should quickly clean the air.

Room Tip: Enjoy the peacefulness of this excellent facility.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DIKTHAI
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
Hello 'DIKTHAI',

First, our profuse apologies for the delay with this Reply!! We don't know how we missed you!! In particular when your review is so detailed - and complimentary! We really are sorry that this Reply is being posted so late, on April 23. And while our thanks for your lovely Review may be belated, it is heartfelt.

We're happy to say that the air quality - as you predicted - has been cleared by a series of overnight thunder storms. And as the 'fire season' has pretty much ended, it looks like the smokey haze is a thing of the past.

We're also pleased you mentioned the morning alms giving here in the village of Ban Meung Nga. We are pleased to say that this is conducted by My Dream in a properly traditional and respectful way. Guests remove their shoes and sit or kneel on bamboo mats, to give the alms. No cameras are permitted. And the sticky rice is home made by our Lao staff and is hot and fresh off the stove when given to the monks - not store-bought like in the town center.

Thank you again 'DIKTHAI', and we do hope you come to see us again!

Hong Kong
Reviewed April 3, 2012

It's a pretty good resort located just opposite town which is the key tourist attraction area where the National Museum, good restuarants and night markets are. As mentioned by many tourists before, the easiest way to the main road Sisavangvong is crossing the bamboo bridge. It takes 5-10 minutes walk from the resort property to the starting point of the bamboo bridge, and then cross the bridge and climb up the hills and then another few minutes walk to the main road. Ha, ha, good exercise. The total walking time is about 15-20 minutes whilst you have to consider that walking up and down the path of the hills to cross the bridge is a bit challenging. An alternative option is to pass through the old bridge and then to town that requires much longer time, about 30 minutes. Hence, its location is really a concern.

Nevertheless, the room size is good with balcony. However, the water running of the pipes in the bathroom was very slow that caused most of the toilet area full of water after the shower. The breakfast variety is limited, but the quality is good. It has a small swimming pool, but the water color is green. The staff service is good. Free bikes are provided. It has a beautiful garden with lots of trees and nice view on the river. The lobby area is good place for relaxation even though there're a lot of mosquitoes and small insects.

After all, My dream is still good if you're not concerned with the location and do not need to go to the town quite often.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank CChanHK
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear 'CChanHK',

We always appreciate it when guests such as yourself take the time to write detailed reviews. Thank you!

You've really covered so many things, but the main thing we want to comment on is the pool. The color was indeed varying from time to time, and that's largely because of all the particulate matter in the air from the "fire season". As many of you know, that's when the farmers clear their croplands by burning it. Being in the north, and surrounded by farmland, Luang Prabang gets very hazy and smoky at this time, and air quality becomes quite poor.

All that ash, cinders and smoke play havoc with a pool, as it gets into the water and from there into the pump and filters. But we test the PH every day and do not open the pool unless the PH is within an acceptable range.

Happily "fire season" is over now and the pool is twinkling in the sun, the view from the pavilion is restored, and when you cross the bridges you can enjoy the the views of the mountains once again.

Thank you CChanHK, and we hope you'll be back again some day!

With Best Regards
Australia
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at the end of March 2012. The staff were lovely and went out of their way to help. The Hotel is only 5 months old and although it still has a few teething problems but these will be ironed out I'm sure very shortly. Being new, not many of the local Tuk Tuk drivers know about it. But time will change that.
Word obviously has gone around to travellers how good this place is as it gets booked out very quickly. The rooms are lovely and finished in mainly wood with timber floors. The beds are king size and you have all amenities you would need.
We had an upstairs room over the reception/restaurant with a lovely view over the pool and gardens. The only downside to this is that you can hear any noise below us. But that didnt bother us too much.We requested a late check out due to a late flight to Hanoi and Evelyn, the manager, accommodated us without charge as our room was not booked on the day we left.There are complimentary bikes for the guests use which are great to get around town.If this hotel was located across the river (Khan) in the main town it would be fantastic. There are 3 bridges to choose from to get into town.A bamboo rickitty bridge (that my wife found challenging) about a 10 min walk. The Old Bridge also about a 10 min wall - used for bikes and motorbikes - then you can pick up a tuk tuk on the other side for a 5min ride into town. The 3rd bridge is called The New Bridge and that takes all traffic but is a way out of town.However Tuk Tuk are very cheap and its not too much of an inconvience.
Would we come here again. Absolutley.

Room Tip: Rooms not over the restaurant / reception would be quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Dear 'Travelling Wilburys',

Thank you so very much for this comprehensive, thoughtful and balanced review! It's going to be very helpful for the TripAdvisor community - of that we are sure.

Just so everyone knows, late-checkout where possible,free of charge (and within reason!) is our standard policy. And if it's not possible, guests are still welcome to use the bicycles and the pool to help while away the time.

Thank you in particular for the heads-up about hearing the sounds from the pavilion below your room. You are the first person to mention that. So now we're going to work on it!

Finally, we clearly have to make more of a point of letting guests know that we can shuttle them in to town if they wish, free of charge. You don't need a reason - it's a service we're delighted to provide.

Thank you again 'TravellingWilburys', and we hope you'll someday travel back this way again!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We originally booked for three nights but ended up staying six....it is that kind of a place. The organisation is superb, with great attention to detail. The accommodation is excellent, there is a lovely garden which leads down to the Khan river. It is a short walk across a bamboo bridge to the centre of Luang Prabang. The pool is smallish but although the hotel was fully booked during our stay the pool was never overcrowded. Breakfast was great and we also ate in a couple of times - again excellent quality. The staff were ALL so charming and helpful it seems churlish to single anyone out but we had most contact with the Canadian manager Evelyn and she was terrific.
The price seems very reasonable. We also stayed in another hotel for two nights which in no way matched the experience of being at My Dream....and it was more expensive.
Wifi did not work in the bedrooms, just in the reception area but this was not a problem for us.
It was a real pleasure to stay here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Hello 'annam58',

Thank you so very much for posting this review! We're into our fifth month of operation and we really are trying to maintain providing the absolute best experience for our guests. We're so glad to hear that you felt we succeeded, with you.

But we do fret about the internet! It usually is available in the rooms, but we have been having a challenging time with the burning season. As many of you know, Lao farmers practice 'slash-and-burn' agriculture, and March/April - primarily March - is when the burning gets done. The haze, smoke and air-borne particulates play havoc with the WiFi.

Fortunately the internet service is ticking along beautifully now, with service in every room and across the hotel. Which is a relief for us, both on behalf of our guests - and because we can't process our bookings and answer all the questions we get, without it!

Thank you again 'annam58', and we sincerely do hope to see you again someday.

With Best Regards