“Wonderful”

Ranked #4 of 257 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

We originally booked for three nights but ended up staying six....it is that kind of a place. The organisation is superb, with great attention to detail. The accommodation is excellent, there is a lovely garden which leads down to the Khan river. It is a short walk across a bamboo bridge to the centre of Luang Prabang. The pool is smallish but although the hotel was fully booked during our stay the pool was never overcrowded. Breakfast was great and we also ate in a couple of times - again excellent quality. The staff were ALL so charming and helpful it seems churlish to single anyone out but we had most contact with the Canadian manager Evelyn and she was terrific.
The price seems very reasonable. We also stayed in another hotel for two nights which in no way matched the experience of being at My Dream....and it was more expensive.
Wifi did not work in the bedrooms, just in the reception area but this was not a problem for us.
It was a real pleasure to stay here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Hello 'annam58',

Thank you so very much for posting this review! We're into our fifth month of operation and we really are trying to maintain providing the absolute best experience for our guests. We're so glad to hear that you felt we succeeded, with you.

But we do fret about the internet! It usually is available in the rooms, but we have been having a challenging time with the burning season. As many of you know, Lao farmers practice 'slash-and-burn' agriculture, and March/April - primarily March - is when the burning gets done. The haze, smoke and air-borne particulates play havoc with the WiFi.

Fortunately the internet service is ticking along beautifully now, with service in every room and across the hotel. Which is a relief for us, both on behalf of our guests - and because we can't process our bookings and answer all the questions we get, without it!

Thank you again 'annam58', and we sincerely do hope to see you again someday.

My Dream Boutique Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

Set on the banks of the Nam Khan river, on the other side of which lies central Luang Prabang, which is easily reached by a nearby bamboo bridge, with the temple atop Phu Si clearly visible from its large garden, this is an excellent hotel catering for couples, families with small children and solo travellers.
The buildings have been nicely arranged down the fall of the land so that nearly all have a beautiful outlook. The rooms are delightful, well equipped and with pleasant balconies. The pool though small provides a very welcome retreat from the heat of the day and the staff are very welcoming and helpful.
The breakfast was excellent and on the basis of the lunch and evening meal we had the cooking was as good as we had experienced elsewhere in Laos during our stay.
Other, small things, count too - the free transfers to and from the airport, the availability to hotel guests of free bike hire and a free shuttle service in the evening to and from central Luang Prabang for those that don't want to walk.
Highly recommended!

1 Thank Stuart B
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear 'Stuart B',

I am so sorry to have missed your Review when writing our Replies - I deeply apologize. And I don't know now if you will ever see this, but that's not the point. I'm writing anyway, even though it's late in the day, to say "Thank You", sincerely, for your lovely review.

We especially appreciate your noting something that we are always trying to do, and that is to make travelers of all sorts feel at home - whether solo wayfarers, families with children, couples, groups of friends traveling together - we want to be the type of hotel where anyone and everyone feels welcome and well cared for.

So thank you again 'Stuart B' and I hope you read this, and see that we did not forget you after all!

Evelyn Napier (GM)
and the Management Team
here at My Dream Boutique Resort
Napier, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

Great location beside the river (Not the Mekong), Staff have been trained very well and do a fantastic job, rooms are nicely fitted out with all the Mod-Cons. I loved the bathroom. The breakfast is very good & the Canadian Woman (sorry, I forgot for name) makes a point of meeting all guests and having a chat, a lovely lady.
The Pool is superb for relaxing beside after a day in the heat of LP.
All in all, the best place I have stayed in LP out of my 3 visits there.
Thanks - you're doing a great job, keep up the outstanding work :)

Room Tip: I think which ever room you choose, you will not be disappointed :)
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank toosdh
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Hello 'toosdh',

Well! High praise indeed! We must say we're thrilled that of your three visits to Luang Prabang, you rate us as #1. And we promise to keep striving to do our absolute best for all our guests.

We want to thank you in particular for your comments about the staff, because they didn't get as much time as they should have, to train, as we just got so busy, so fast. That they are so good at what they do is a reflection of how motivated they are. They really, sincerely, want their guests to be happy, and they take great pride in their work. We are very lucky to have them.

And yes, we think the bathrooms are nice too - the flagstone flooring really makes them special. Every bathroom in the hotel has this flooring. And then there's all that lovely hot water!

Thank you again 'toosdh'! Maybe you'll come stay with us when you make your 4th visit to Luang Prabang?!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night because we wanted to extend our stay but the neighboring hotel we were in was fully booked so they arranged my dream resort for us and let me say we wish we had of found this place first!
It was quite a bit cheaper, with a pool and almost all the same facilities.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and spoke quite good English.
We would definetly consider staying here if and hopefully when we return to Luang Prabang

• Stayed March 2012
Hello 'TimNBec',

Well, saying that you wish you had found us first is quite a compliment! Thank you for taking the time to write and say so.

As for our rates, we're glad you found them reasonable, as we do believe in providing solid value to our guests. And we have no plans for increasing our rates for the next High Season (October 1 2012 - April 30 2013). We want to make it easy for travelers to come and stay with us!

'TimNBec', thank you again. We hope your wish comes true and you get to come and stay with us again!

My Dream Boutique resort
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

I am sitting right now on the balcony of my garden riverfront bungalow, watching the sun set over the river, and I am so sorry this is my last night here. Luang prabang is a simply magical place and My Dream has made it even more special. The rooms are truly elegant and well finished, with a beautiful modern Lao style. The staff are lovely and even though this is a new hotel and busy periods can still be a bit of a challenge the staff never fail to offer a smile and a little bit extra help where they can. The location is across the river from the main township, but a nearby bamboo bridge can get you there in 10-15 minutes walk (with a bit of adventure on the way) and the complimentary bicycles and evening shuttle to the night market mean you have lots of options available. The newly opened restaurant also offers some lovely meals if you feel like staying in. I have loved my stay here and I know I will be daydreaming about this beautiful place long after I have returned to the daily grind!

Room Tip: The Riverfront garden bungalows are simply gorgeous and would be very comfortable for an extended st...
Dear 'darinalou',

Luang Prabang IS magical, isn't it! Thanks so much for extending the compliment to 'My Dream' as well. Once again a tip of the hat is owed to designer Rei Gilding for design in a style that, as you astutely noted, is fresh and modern while remaining true to its Lao origins.

We're also glad to hear you enjoyed the restaurant. It still has some growing to do, and we plan on expanding the menu soon. We're delighted that at the end of a hot day our guests can take a refreshing dip in our pool and then come up to the pavilion and enjoy a nice meal. And we've been known to bring the meals poolside - even better!

So, glad to hear you enjoyed yourself so much 'darinalou', and we hope you can come back someday!

vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

We moved to this hotel after two night in the center of town mainly because of other Trip Advisor reviews. The place was superb. Very new, lovely construction, good, clean if smallish pool, high quality breakfast, good bikes at no charge, terrific service, complimentary airport shuttle. We stayed in one of the spacious 'cottages' with a lovely deck looking over a well tended garden leading to the river. The hotel is on the other side of the river from the town but it is so simple and quick to bike or walk into town-- a matter of minutes. So don't be put off by the location. it was perfect and peaceful. Plus you are very close to a new part of town with beautiful, locally made textiles and handmade paper. My guess is that this hotel will continue to get more and more popular as word gets out.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello 'mainjane',

Thanks so much for this and our apologies for the delay in responding. We know you'll understand that we have to be sure all our guests are well looked-after, before sitting down to write.

Thanks in particular for reminding us of the amazing Sa Paper and Weaving Village that's just down the road from us. It's just a short bike ride away, and has so much to offer. And it's a lovely ride getting there. You see local people going about their daily lives, and coming across a Baci ceremony, a wedding, or a party, is not uncommon! And there's places you can stop along the way and go right down to the river's edge.

This side of the Nam Khan truly is beautiful and unspoiled. We're so glad you enjoyed it.

Thank you again 'mainjane', and we hope you'll come back and see us again sometime!

Udaipur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

A really lovely place to stay. New, beautifully designed, with staff and management who do everything they can to make your stay relaxing and enjoyable.

If it's your first time in Luang Prabang, you might want to stay somewhere more traditional and characterful in the old town. But if you want peace and quiet, comfort and high quality facilities without paying the eye-watering prices at the top end of the city's options, this is highly recommended. It's also locally owned and funds an educational charity.

Dear 'NightTripper_11',

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this, and for giving us such a positive recommendation. Our apologies for the delay in responding, but we've been so busy! And we know you'll understand that looking after our guests is our first priority.

You - and others - have commented on the hotel's design. We should have given credit ages ago to our designer Ms Rie Gilding. The artful, elegant simplicity of her work has garnered unanimous praise from every one of our guests. Thank you for mentioning it, and thus reminding us to give credit where so much credit due.

Happy traveling 'NightTripper_11'. We hope to see you again!

My Dream Boutique resort