“Sports on tv and a bit overpriced western food”

Aussie Sports Bar and Guesthouse
Ranked #64 of 208 Restaurants in Luang Prabang
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Nice staff, good food (especilly the hot dog). Though a little overpriced I would say. The have lots of tv screens showing sports. Can recommend for a premier league game or the like.

John C, General Manager at Aussie Sports Bar and Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Thankyou for your contribution. I am pleased that you found our food to be very good although a bit suprised that you find 34,000 kip for a very large Hot Dog to be overpriced! Our menu prices are clearly stated so that customers can eat within their means and order something of a lesser cost if need be. I am pleased that you found the sports screens to your liking.

There are newer reviews for Aussie Sports Bar and Guesthouse

Reviewed February 1, 2014

If you travel Asia forbto long and you need some real Western Style food and ambience, then this is the place to go in Luang Prabang. Check out the Fish and Chips or even the Austrialian steaks and you are ready for morevAsianbstuff in the next time. Owner is always friendly and very helpful in ordering something special. Free WIFI available and football on the screen.

Thankyou for a very nice review. Our fish & chips are indeed popular, We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit and the service here, We look forward to your return soon.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Without sounding rude, this isn't the place if you're looking for a nice meal/quality food. The bar is fine..although the lighting in one of the areas is horrible (florescent lighting never creates a nice ambiance). If you're thinking of going here to watch football or grab a drink before you eat somewhere else, do be sure to eat somewhere else! There are so many places to eat with great food in Luang Prabang, so don't waste a meal at this place.
We started with the buffalo wings which were decent, at least in comparison to the other dishes we had. So if you are starving and need something to eat to go with your Beer Lao, this is a safe option. I wouldn't veer too far from that...
Maybe we made the mistake of deviating from what would have been "safe options"--if you're going to a pub/bar, order pub/bar type food...pizza, burgers, fries...We had the pork fillet and steak sandwich. The steak sandwich tasted incredibly bland, and with meat and condiments squished between two pieces of bread it isn't hard to mess up a sandwich. We would rate the steak sandwich as not bad, but well, not good either.
The pork fillets however, were just awful. So terrible that we couldn't finish them, and I am a proud member of the clean plate club. What was on my plate didn't even taste like pork fillets. Whatever they were, they tasted as if they had been previously frozen (and in the freezer for who knows how long!) and reheated for way to long...to the point of being unappetizing, incredibly tough,chewy...so bad that we just couldn't finish them.
Again...the food just isn't why you should go here...

1  Thank W B
John C, General Manager at Aussie Sports Bar and Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thankyou for your review and I am sorry that your meal was not up to your expectations. Your review is constructive and helpful for us to try to correct one issue and that is the Pork Fillets. It is correct that they have been frozen but normally for no longer than 2 - 3 weeks. The problem is in the cooking. As hard as we try we just cannot get Lao staff to cook pork to my satisfaction unless I am there watching all the time. They just love to overcook to the point that you have described where it becomes almost inedible. For that reason and because of a previous similar complaint we are removing the item from the menu. The Steak Sandwich is very popular and enjoyed by most people and doesn't warrant any changing. I am pleased you enjoyed the Buffalo Wings.
We would be pleased if you would return and make yourself known to management and allow us to offer you a complimentary dish in view of the poor dish you were served.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Being a traveler, food and safety are two things that top the list for precautions. When I travel, I look for places that I know I feel safe to the stomach, where hygiene is given importance.

I saw this place while walking down the street and browsed through the menu. I thought pizza will be a safe choice. I ordered vegetarian. Not only it was safe, it was good.

This pizza cost 53,000 kip, the lowest on the pizza items. Others with different toppings were priced higher. The presentation was so plain with lack of imagination.

Thank you.

1  Thank Indiana_Jonesse

Thankyou for your review and we are pleased you enjoyed the food here. As you would have seen we have an open kitchen policy which allows our customers to see the cleanliness of the kitchen as well as all food preparation. We look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Good Aussie bar: sports and beers which is all you need really. Food though is distinctly average, the "buffalo wings" are just tiny chicken wings flashed in a pan and are certainly not buffalo wings as advertised. The pie is alright, though the Laotian beef gives it a funny taste, for the best pie in this part of the world you have to go down to a couple of places by the river in Nong Khai (Thailand) which seems to be the meat pie capital of Southeast Asia.

I notice the owner likes to reply to average reviews of his food by saying that average marks are due to either reviewers being Asian and not understanding western food or by saying that the review is an exception and normally everyone agrees that they serve the best wings/pies/burgers ietc n town. Well, I'm British: the food is average, and I certainly had better food elsewhere in Luang Prabang. Still, as a place to just watch football and sink a beer it's ok.

John C, General Manager at Aussie Sports Bar and Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Thanks for your review and pleased you enjoyed the sports and drinks. Being British you may not understand what we mean by Buffalo Wings as they are not the same as USA. They are Aussie Chicken Wings (entree size) oven baked and finished in the deep fry and are never cooked in a frypan as you believe. Your comment regarding our pies is no problem as everybody has different tastes. About 35% of our customers are British/Irish and fortunately for us we get great feedback from 99% of them regarding our food being way above average as evidenced by our reviews. We do try to please all customers with our food at all times but "you can't win them all".